Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Started staining it this morning, I am thinking it is 2 different kind's of wood the but stock is a darker wood than the rest.

I was going to darken it up a lot but for some reason i like it like it used to look "other than the gold" so im trying to go back to that look for the stock.
    Do i need to have some kind of clear coat to seal it?

I need to finish this rifle so i can make a range trip for it and the new AR i built last night.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Started staining it this morning, I am thinking it is 2 different kind's of wood the but stock is a darker wood than the rest.

I was going to darken it up a lot but for some reason i like it like it used to look "other than the gold" so im trying to go back to that look for the stock.
    Do i need to have some kind of clear coat to seal it?

I need to finish this rifle so i can make a range trip for it and the new AR i built last night.
    Well, that Tru-Oil kit I bought came with stain and then a clear coat. If I remember correctly, I put several layers of the clear coat on.

I'm not sure what else a guy could use but I think you'd want to put something on to seal it after staining.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Well, that Tru-Oil kit I bought came with stain and then a clear coat. If I remember correctly, I put several layers of the clear coat on.

I'm not sure what else a guy could use but I think you'd want to put something on to seal it after staining.
    I sealed it with a flat coat to keep that rustic look.
    Ill up some pictures from the phone in a min.

New AR build for $491 that includes the sling, rear folding sight and 3 magazines. Tax put it just over $520.
    I used PSA daily deals and discount codes they sent me to keep the price down.

This is how im keeping the enfeild, not as good as i had wished but it will work.

Last edited by Mangyrat; 07-11-2014 at 06:07 PM.

I forgot to add i am back on gun restriction again.
    So the next AR build will have to wait till she forgets about the Palmetto State Armory trip i just made.
    That will give me time to decide what to do with the extra lower receiver i picked up.

I may have to get a safe or new gun cabinet mine is full now, but i think i have room for a few more handguns so i may pick up a few of them befor i build a AR for a truck gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    I forgot to add i am back on gun restriction again.
    So the next AR build will have to wait till she forgets about the Palmetto State Armory trip i just made.
    That will give me time to decide what to do with the extra lower receiver i picked up.

I may have to get a safe or new gun cabinet mine is full now, but i think i have room for a few more handguns so i may pick up a few of them befor i build a AR for a truck gun.
    LOL Damn, that's harsh.....I feel for you!

I liked he pic's and you're right it looks like the butt and the rest of the stock are different woods. But it looks great, you did excellent work. They may not have as much range as a lot of other rifles but the .303 hits real hard and those Enfield's are classics.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    LOL Damn, that's harsh.....I feel for you!

I liked he pic's and you're right it looks like the butt and the rest of the stock are different woods. But it looks great, you did excellent work. They may not have as much range as a lot of other rifles but the .303 hits real hard and those Enfield's are classics.
    It is chambered in 7.62x51 same as 308 matter fact you can fire 308 out of it just like you can fire 5.56 in a 223 chamber its just not recommended.

I am getting old and my eyesight is going to hell so if its good at 100 yards with iron sights i am happy. "can't see where i am hitting much past 75 yards with bifocals and no scope".
    I need to find a sling and the rear sight guard that is missing to complete it.
    Well i spent the rest of the day cleaning all my guns, 17 guns takes a few hrs
    I did find that i still need to do some work to my Ruger p89 i want to put in a P95 trigger in it to take some of the long pull out of it when firing double action "one more project i forgot about"

Now i am kicked back with a oliva master blend 3 and some spiced rum.

Thread Information