Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nice loading bench, do i see a dillon in the back ground?
    I am still using Lee stuff other than a dillon pocket swager that i really like and honady camlock trimmer.

One day i will move up the the 50BMG

Well now i am doing trigger jobs on my AR's the last one i built i didn't like the trigger so while i am at it i might as well do them all.
    As my luck would have it the wife used the last of my metal polish so i have to make a run to the hardware store.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

Made it out to the range yesterday with the pistols, ARs, Mosin and Garand. Didn't do anything serious, just some light paper punching. We go to a state owned DNR range, which takes a lot of the fun out of it. Can only shoot paper targets, can't shoot from closer than 25 yards, etc. Its great if you are trying to sight in a scope or experimenting with loads, but that's about it. I also kept having problems all day, probably due to the humidity. The firing lines are covered, but it was still raining pretty steadily. My AR kept failing to strip rounds out of the magazine and a few failures to eject. My 1911 kept failing to feed all the way. It would get stuck with the slide about 2mm back. The Garand did great with the Atomic ammo, but had the same issue as the 1911 with PMC. Still a decent day though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    Made it out to the range yesterday with the pistols, ARs, Mosin and Garand. Didn't do anything serious, just some light paper punching. We go to a state owned DNR range, which takes a lot of the fun out of it. Can only shoot paper targets, can't shoot from closer than 25 yards, etc. Its great if you are trying to sight in a scope or experimenting with loads, but that's about it. I also kept having problems all day, probably due to the humidity. The firing lines are covered, but it was still raining pretty steadily. My AR kept failing to strip rounds out of the magazine and a few failures to eject. My 1911 kept failing to feed all the way. It would get stuck with the slide about 2mm back. The Garand did great with the Atomic ammo, but had the same issue as the 1911 with PMC. Still a decent day though.

I meant to ask you earlier about your 1911 but forgot. I had feed issues with my 1911 similar to what you describe above. When it happened, I would just pull the slide back a fraction and the round would feed. My 1911 is a Para Ordnance GI Expert. If you have the same handgun, contact Para Ordnance. I did and they had me send it in for warranty work. The extractor was replaced and something with the firing pin assembly (I forget what now, this was like, last April). The gun works perfectly now.

FWIW, I only had the feed issues with factory "ball" ammo. I buy a lot of reloaded ammo that uses semi wad cutter leads and those fed perfectly. Since the repair, I bought 500 rounds of ball reloads and haven't had a single feed issues.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    I meant to ask you earlier about your 1911 but forgot. I had feed issues with my 1911 similar to what you describe above. When it happened, I would just pull the slide back a fraction and the round would feed. My 1911 is a Para Ordnance GI Expert. If you have the same handgun, contact Para Ordnance. I did and they had me send it in for warranty work. The extractor was replaced and something with the firing pin assembly (I forget what now, this was like, last April). The gun works perfectly now.

FWIW, I only had the feed issues with factory "ball" ammo. I buy a lot of reloaded ammo that uses semi wad cutter leads and those fed perfectly. Since the repair, I bought 500 rounds of ball reloads and haven't had a single feed issues.
    Mine is a Citadel 3.5" model. I've fired all kinds of rounds through without any problems until that day with Wolf steel case. With the problems the rest of the guns were having, I'm betting it was a mix of weather and not enough lubrication. I guess I'l just have to get back out to the range to verify that.

Mine is a Citadel 3.5" model. I've fired all kinds of rounds through without any problems until that day with Wolf steel case. With the problems the rest of the guns were having, I'm betting it was a mix of weather and not enough lubrication. I guess I'l just have to get back out to the range to verify that.
    I'd bet on weather too then. I remember last year right around this time (late Oct) my one hunting partner came up to shoot and I took the pistols along and both my 1911 and my Ruger Mark III Hunter were not cycling rounds correctly. It was both humid and very cool that day and I know that was why rounds weren't cycling correctly.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

So, since I leave right of the interstate in Meth county USA, and after talking to some of the local cops, I decided to get a pistol light for my M&P. Ended up getting the TLR1 by streamlight. Damn this thing is bright! I read some reviews that if you have light walls, all those lumens will just bounce back at you and blind you as well. Luckily I have brown walls so that isn't a problem, but after playing with it at my parents house this weekend, I can confirm that white walls are blinding. Anyway, I also had a Burris Fast Fire 3 on my AR. When I bought it, I didn't realize that it was a mini red dot sight. So, I bought a riser and tried to make it work, but the glass is just too small. So I got the adapter and installed it on my M&P tonight. I'll have to play around at the range a bit with it, but so far I am happy with it.

So, since I leave right of the interstate in Meth county USA, and after talking to some of the local cops, I decided to get a pistol light for my M&P. Ended up getting the TLR1 by streamlight. Damn this thing is bright! I read some reviews that if you have light walls, all those lumens will just bounce back at you and blind you as well. Luckily I have brown walls so that isn't a problem, but after playing with it at my parents house this weekend, I can confirm that white walls are blinding. Anyway, I also had a Burris Fast Fire 3 on my AR. When I bought it, I didn't realize that it was a mini red dot sight. So, I bought a riser and tried to make it work, but the glass is just too small. So I got the adapter and installed it on my M&P tonight. I'll have to play around at the range a bit with it, but so far I am happy with it.

Nice Eville! That thing is "pimped out"! Don't take this the wrong way, as I certainly respect your weapon choices, and attachments thereto, as the best weapon for you is the one you feel most comfortable with, but I much prefer a shotgun for home defense (for obvious reasons), and tend to like my handguns bone-stock, without any attachments that will hinder my draw speed and deployment time. But to each his own. That M&P will serve its intended "home defense" purpose well, as long as that Burris rifle sight doesn't change the weight of the slide enough to affect the weapon's reliable function, and the slide-mounted application of the sight doesn't affect its zero-holding capability (due to the agressive bi-directional recoil environment it is subjected to, being mounted to the slide of a handgun). I'd cross my fingers, and give it plenty of range time before trusting it with my life... But it'll be cool for sure, if everything works out and it passes the test of time! Good luck, and let me know how it holds up to a couple hundred rounds of test-fire!
    "I have made it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time." ~ Mark Twain

"Internet quotes are always 100% accurate." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Thread Information