Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

finally got a photo hosting site that works.
    You can see how close the scope is to the iron sights, the eye re-leaf is damn near perfect for my bifocals i may move it one more notch forward to keep form beating my glasses up.
    I cant find a KONUS 4x 32mm anywhere locally so i may have to order it just to look at it and see if i like it better.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 08-18-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

And i just made a deal on a New in the box Savage 93 22 mag sight unseen, like a needed a new 22 mag but i could not pass it up. $100
    Safe is full and gun cabinet is getting full.

The rust is so bad on that Stephens bolt action 22 that i will have to oil it down for a few months before i start working on it.
    34 guns and around 18k rounds of mixed ammo not counting reloading supply's i think i have a addiction or something.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 08-18-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    And i just made a deal on a New in the box Savage 93 22 mag sight unseen, like a needed a new 22 mag but i could not pass it up. $100
    Safe is full and gun cabinet is getting full.

The rust is so bad on that Stephens bolt action 22 that i will have to oil it down for a few months before i start working on it.
    34 guns and around 18k rounds of mixed ammo not counting reloading supply's i think i have a addiction or something.

Love the Henry.....scope looks good on it!

The Savage .22 magnum looks like a fun rifle.

You're not an addict, you're an avid collector!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

I cant walk out the door with out finding a gun deal now days.
    I did pick up the Savage 93 22 mag today but while i was doing that i got a line on a 308 damn its hard to pass up but i am not pushing my luck.
    While making room for it in the safe i found my Marlin 983T 22 mag , i will have to get them both scoped the same and do a range trip to see what one i like better.

When i got home the wife did not say a thing about the new gun i think she is giving up that or she just bought something expensive to get even.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    I cant walk out the door with out finding a gun deal now days.
    I did pick up the Savage 93 22 mag today but while i was doing that i got a line on a 308 damn its hard to pass up but i am not pushing my luck.
    While making room for it in the safe i found my Marlin 983T 22 mag , i will have to get them both scoped the same and do a range trip to see what one i like better.

When i got home the wife did not say a thing about the new gun i think she is giving up that or she just bought something expensive to get even.
    LOL - Mine would buy something expensive....likely pottery (she collects Art Deco pottery). Well, I do have a .308 Savage 99 lever action I plan on selling but I imagine you wouldn't want it, the trigger pull on it's 8+ lb's and you can't adjust that on a Savage 99 (I know, I tried) I have another 99 with a 4 lb trigger which is my backup hunting rifle now that my Remington 700 has become my main one. Before I bought the Remmy, I had the stiff trigger 99 as my spare and the other was my main.

Well, finished up another successful hunting season yesterday. It was just myself, Greg and John on our annual hunt out west the first week of Nov. Greg filled his special draw calf moose tag and bagged a nice whitetail doe. John didn't fill his antlered mule deer tag. I probably could have for him as the one he did take a poke at was 450 yards away but it was his tag and it would be illegal for me to shoot it for him. I only got drawn for cow elk and had my 'general whitetail' tag (good for either sex from Nov 1 to the 7th) but didn't see any I wanted and prefer to hunt them around home as we have an abundance of whitetail's around home. We didn't see any elk so no joy there :(

Got a nice 9 point whitetail buck Friday morning about 10 min's after sunrise (legal is 30 min's before sunrise to 30 min's after sunset) He was definitely rutting as he followed a doe in from around 600 yards to 354 where I put one through his heart. Went back to the same field the next morning and filled my doe tag (we can get two supplemental doe tags for this area - like I said, we're overrun with them locally) about 15 minutes after sunrise on a beautiful clear morning with perfect light. Had I been able to hunt my cow elk tag (only good in that zone I got drawn for it out west) I could have filled it that morning as there were 5 cow's (well, 4 adult cows and one baby) in the field when I first got there. I took the doe at 358 yards with a heart shot.

Since I have a high-end scope with a ballistic turret, I bought a Leupold laser range finder so I can be accurate on the long shots. That's how I know the exact ranges on those shots. The combination of my Remington 700 VTR with a Timney trigger (set to 3 lb's) with my Swarovski scope is proving to be a wonderful setup. I added a Kwik Klip to it as well as I much prefer a removable magazine to that lousy trap door setup so many bolt actions come with from the factory!

I'm already looking forward to next year when hopefully my younger brother will join us and have a bull moose, cow elk, antlered mule and a general whitetail tag. It'll be his first ever hunting trip and we'll get to see how he does in the field with his high-end sniper rifle. He's a cop and was in tactical and took the sniper training. His rifle with the $2500.00 Nightforce scope is the reason I ended up buying the Swarovski. Once you look through quality glass it's hard to go back to a $100 Bushnell...........LOL He recently made Sergeant and is now in charge of his own squad but got to keep his sniper rifle as he's a backup sniper in case of need. I was really hoping he could make it this year but he had other commitments that precluded him from joining us this year.

So, how was hunting for those of you that hunt??

Took a trip up to Grice's gun shop two weeks back and bought a Sig P220 Super Match. Finally had a chance to take it to the range on Saturday. Ran some 180 gr and 230 gr ammo through it. Both shot very nice and I had some good groupings. My intention was to get a gun that would make the trip to range with me all the time. I'm happy with my decision. Now to save up for a Browning .22 for the same reason.
    Yay! Cigars!

Thread Information