Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The above is an image from my trip to the range Sunday. Now, normally I'm there every other week or so as soon as the snow's gone (usually in March/April) right up until I head out hunting. But, I acquired the family boat last July and have spent every spare moment I can out fishing ever since.

The boat........My dad bought it brand new in 1977. It's a 16' Starcraft with an open bow and a 70 Evinrude on the back. We're a family of 7 and 6 of the 7 ski so you know this boat has had thousands of hours on it. The hull is tight and doesn't leak a drop and the engine still performs well. It has one choke issue which is going to require me to change the solenoid for the choke (next spring) and in it's life has had the impeller changed twice....and that's all it's ever had done to it! I'm the only fishing nut in the family so I've spent far more time in that boat than any of my siblings so I suppose it's fitting it ended up with me. After my brother gave it to me I outfitted it with depth finder, bow mounted trolling motor and new pedestal seats. I did a few other things to it and the trailer as well. All told, I think I spent about $3,000 turning it mostly into a fishing boat. I considered getting rid of the front seats and turning it into a casting deck with a live-well but since the seats are in good shape said "Screw that" and opted for using a stringer instead of a live-well.

So, the above image is my initial 4 rounds at 100 yards. That's using my Remington 700 VT in .308 with a Swarovski z5 3,5 - 18x44 BT (ballistic turret) scope (additional changes to stock rifle include Kwik Klip removable 4 round magazine and Timney trigger) shooting off a bipod.

I can do almost as good with my Savage 99C that has a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 scope on it shooting off a rest (my ammo can with a soft gun case on top) at 100 yards.

All told, I put 50 or more rounds through both guns and had a nice time sitting sipping coffee and smoking an AF Anejo #48 with the whole range to myself. Sadly, our range only goes out to 200 yards so to check my presets on the ballistic turrets of my Swarovski I'll be heading out into the country in about two weeks. I bought an 8" gong target and built a portable target stand so I can do some shooting at 400, 500 and 600 yards before season starts.

I"m planning my last outing to fish in my boat this coming Saturday and I'll winterize and park it when I'm done. I may still get out once or twice more with a friend of mine that owns a fishing boat but I have to start prepping for my annual hunting trip the 1st week in November so it's time to park the boat *sigh* We had a terrific summer and all told I caught several hundred walleye but it's time to start thinking seriously about hunting. This year I only got drawn for antlered mule deer. I will buy a 'general white tail' (good for either sex first week of Nov, as of the 7th - antlered white tail only) and general elk (3 point or better bull elk) which I can use out where we hunt the first week and also in the one zone I hunt in the most around home here after returning from out west.

All in all, I'm happy with my performance and that of my hunting rifles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CptnBlues63; 09-19-2017 at 09:58 AM. Reason: the usual
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

I bought my first revolver a few weeks ago. Rural King had another sale and they had a Tarus 605 .357 on sale for ~$250. I took it to the range the week before last and shot pretty good with .38 special. And not so hot with .357 out of the short barrel. I need to get used to the recoil of .357; that was the first time I shot it.
    Yay! Cigars!

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    I bought my first revolver a few weeks ago. Rural King had another sale and they had a on sale for ~$250. I took it to the range the week before last and shot pretty good with .38 special. And not so hot with .357 out of the short barrel. I need to get used to the recoil of .357; that was the first time I shot it.
    Nice!

My good friend and hunting partner bought a S&W .357 magnum a few years back and we've run quite a few rounds through it. I'm not sure which model it is but it has a 5.5" barrel on it. He also ran into a huge deal on .38 +P ammo and bought 2000 rounds of it. Those seem to have a little more pop than the regular old .38 special ammo and for the price he paid, makes feeding that pistol a lot more cost effective! Mind you, Greg always brings one box of the magnum's along and runs them down range..............just for fun..........LOL

If you're interested in getting more handguns I highly recommend a Ruger .22 semi auto. I own a Mark III Hunter and my friend Greg has a Mark I and a Mark II and they're highly accurate and just a lot of fun to shoot. Plus, they're a whole lot cheaper to feed than any other caliber. I found a device online to help load the magazines so my thumb doesn't blister reloading.........LOL We've been known to burn through 500 to 1000 rounds in a visit to the range no problem.

Yeah, my dad owns a Ruger Mark II and it is a nice gun. I bought that loading device for him that you mentioned earlier in the year. I've got my eye on a Chiappa .22 LR/Magnum single-action revolver. I have been thinking about getting a .22 for a while now and like the idea of the Cowboy gun. So for the price, I getting ready to buy it.
    Yay! Cigars!

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    Yeah, my dad owns a Ruger Mark II and it is a nice gun. I bought that loading device for him that you mentioned earlier in the year. I've got my eye on a Chiappa .22 LR/Magnum single-action revolver. I have been thinking about getting a .22 for a while now and like the idea of the Cowboy gun. So for the price, I getting ready to buy it.
    LOL - So I also have a Ruger Super Single combo .22/.22 magnum handgun. I too have always liked the single action revolvers and when I had a chance to, bought this one. I even found a guy that custom made a holster for it for around $250 (CDN) which I'm VERY pleased with. I'm no quick draw artist but it's definitely a fun gun. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours lots! :)

Picked up SIG P320C for the wife.
    She has a thing for SIG's i think she saw them on tv or something.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Picked up a Remington 1911 R1 carry commander last night.

I must say i am impressed with the smaller 1911 normally i like full sized 1911's but this one just feels right.
    Price was good due to a dead front tritium sight that i do not care about anyway, i always found the night sights a distraction when shooting at night "they keep me fixated on the sights and not my target".

Now that i have at least 2 of every caliber i shoot it is time to start looking at 308's or a 50BMG
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Thread Information