Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

That is one nice looking M1.

Your dad found a AR 15 in this market? Wow
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Your dad found a AR 15 in this market? Wow
    The shops near me are always getting rifles in (complete rifles and lowers for builds). One of my local shops listed the following items available as of today:

2 Daniel Defense Rifles in 300 Blackout
    2 Smith&Wesson one in 300 wis.
    1 Bushmaster in .450
    4 Colts one used Colt in 9mm (collector item)
    1 Core15
    2 Sig Sauer
    2 LWRC
    12 – AR15 | 22s
    1 – AK

The ammo though, that goes quick. .22LR is gone as soon as the store opens.

[QUOTE=Eville;189572]It took nearly 3 months but my CMP Special in .308 finally showed up last night at my parents house. Now I just need to get home to shoot it. The AR is a Sig that my dad got last night as well.[QUOTE]

Very nice......and, I didn't know you could get an M1 in .308

I've always wanted an M1 and to get one in .308, which is what I hunt with, would mean not having to buy another caliber of ammo.

I'm jealous
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

I considered getting the 30-06, but then you have to buy either surplus 30-06 which is often times corrosive, or you have to buy only commercial ammo that is loaded to similar pressures as the surplus to keep the gas system happy. I am fine with running corrosive through my M44, or even a low grade M1, but I was looking for one I could pass down through my future family. So, I went to CMP and ordered the .308. It has a fully reconditioned receiver with a new production stock and Criterion barrel. It even has a block installed to prevent any dumbasses from loading 30-06 into it.

My handguns have changed a bit since 2009 when I started this thread. Sold the Ruger P94 and bought a Glock 17 . Got my CCP, picked up a Kel Tec P11 and for the life of me (quite literally) can't seem to want to get rid of it. I hear stories about the P11's reliability but have had not a single issue with mine. Been having trouble finding 9mm ammo though. Is this a national issue or just NC? Is everyone else having trouble finding ammo too?
    All my ex's live in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    I considered getting the 30-06, but then you have to buy either surplus 30-06 which is often times corrosive, or you have to buy only commercial ammo that is loaded to similar pressures as the surplus to keep the gas system happy. I am fine with running corrosive through my M44, or even a low grade M1, but I was looking for one I could pass down through my future family. So, I went to CMP and ordered the .308. It has a fully reconditioned receiver with a new production stock and Criterion barrel. It even has a block installed to prevent any dumbasses from loading 30-06 into it.
    I googled your rifle and went to the CMP site and did some reading yesterday. That is a VERY nice rifle. If I had the extra $$$ I'd import one in .308 and would probably go for the same condition rifle as you got.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuma787 View Post
    My handguns have changed a bit since 2009 when I started this thread. Sold the Ruger P94 and bought a Glock 17 . Got my CCP, picked up a Kel Tec P11 and for the life of me (quite literally) can't seem to want to get rid of it. I hear stories about the P11's reliability but have had not a single issue with mine. Been having trouble finding 9mm ammo though. Is this a national issue or just NC? Is everyone else having trouble finding ammo too?
    Ammo shortage is all over the place.
    I picked up a few boxes of 9mm last week at Wal-Mart, I hate going to Wal-Mart but I was on a ammo hunt.
    Today im looking for 22LR so ill start at the hardware store then hit the gun shops and last ill do Wal-Mart.

8. Default

Two things about the Ammo situation: You might remember there's a war going on and people are hording because of the political situation.
    I got a quarter ton of lead, 30k primers, lots of powder, and more brass and empty shot shells than I can count. I started stocking up after 9/11. Don't cry now, you should have known. It's not the first time it's happened.

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

I have some ammo Doc, but you don't shoot up what you cant replace.
    I didn't find any 22 other than snake shot no 223 either.

The only thing I found was more 9mm and 380 but I have what I need in that caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    Two things about the Ammo situation: You might remember there's a war going on and people are hording because of the political situation.
    I got a quarter ton of lead, 30k primers, lots of powder, and more brass and empty shot shells than I can count. I started stocking up after 9/11. Don't cry now, you should have known. It's not the first time it's happened.

Doc
    Can I come and hang with you if the zombie apocalypse ever happens........LOL

We suffer chronic shortages here in Canada. For about a year and a half I couldn't find the .308 ammo I use for hunting. Luckily I had several hundred rounds stored. When they started appearing again, I bought several hundred more. I was told in several sporting goods/gun stores that it was the fault of the US military. Since most of the ammo is manufactured in the US, the US military gets first dibs.

So far the situation in the US doesn't seem to have affected us up here........but it's a slow time of year for ammo. We'll see what happens in a month or two. Luckily I have enough .45 acp and .308 saved up to get me through the summer. I have a couple thousand .22 lr stored up. Normally I don't bother with the .22 because that's never been hard to find but there were a couple sales last fall and I picked a couple 500 round bricks up at a gun auction last fall too.

Hopefully things will normalize in the US real soon. All I know is, I've always meant to reload as it would save me a ton of $$$ and I've always kept my brass.....now may be the time to invest in reloading equipment.

11. Default

Reloading is a good idea. You can make better ammo at home than you can buy, if you're willing to put in the time and effort. Weather its cheaper or not depends on how much you shoot and how persnickety you get. However re-loaders are facing the same shortages, only it's primers, lead, powder and brass.

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    Reloading is a good idea. You can make better ammo at home than you can buy, if you're willing to put in the time and effort. Weather its cheaper or not depends on how much you shoot and how persnickety you get. However re-loaders are facing the same shortages, only it's primers, lead, powder and brass.

Doc
    I'm wondering if the ammo shortage and hording will slow down now that that bill didn't pass in the US. Here's hoping!

The .45 acp I buy is actually made here in Canada by a company that can, and will, reload for you. I'm getting it for about half what I'd pay for factory loads. Since all I'm doing is shooting dinger targets and paper with it, I buy the plain lead semi-wad cutter ammo as it's cheapest

Well I have been busy with work and rebuilding my computers so haven't posted much sorry.

I did get some time to work out a 223 load using IMR 4320, 23.1 grain and nosler varmageddon 55 grain my gun likes that load and I am happy.
    IM still collecting parts to build my 300 black out so haven't worked on any loads for that yet.

Now I see that archangel is making a stock for the Mosin Nagant, I am really wanting to play with one of them.
    http://www.archangelmanufacturing.co...products-2013/

Well I have been busy with work and rebuilding my computers so haven't posted much sorry.

I did get some time to work out a 223 load using IMR 4320, 23.1 grain and nosler varmageddon 55 grain my gun likes that load and I am happy.
    IM still collecting parts to build my 300 black out so haven't worked on any loads for that yet.

Now I see that archangel is making a stock for the Mosin Nagant, I am really wanting to play with one of them.
    http://www.archangelmanufacturing.co...products-2013/
    Love that stock!

I haven't made it to the range yet this year

It's been a hectic and busy spring for me and the few chances I've had, something came up at the last minute. I should be able to go this Sunday. I so need to sight my main hunting rifle in now that the replacement scope is on it and of course, I need to get my handguns dirty.....

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Love that stock!

I haven't made it to the range yet this year

It's been a hectic and busy spring for me and the few chances I've had, something came up at the last minute. I should be able to go this Sunday. I so need to sight my main hunting rifle in now that the replacement scope is on it and of course, I need to get my handguns dirty.....
    I have to swap around some scope's my self then resight them in, picked up a Nikon Prostaff I like for my 300 WM.
    I skipped the range day this afternoon it was just to hot.

My AR went to the range without me its being used to teach a young kid how to shoot.
    I built it to be used/abused so if it comes back in one peace im happy.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 05-31-2013 at 06:54 PM.

I have to swap around some scope's my self then resight them in, picked up a Nikon Prostaff I like for my 300 WM.
    I skipped the range day this afternoon it was just to hot.

My AR went to the range without me its being used to teach a young kid how to shoot.
    I built it to be used/abused so if it comes back in one peace im happy.
    They're pretty tough so I'm thinking it made it home in one piece! LOL

I'm hoping to take my son to the range with me on Sunday. He's been staying with us this last week. He moved into the big city 2 hours away and then landed a great job here in town. He was living in Slave Lake, AB about an hour and a half west of here before moving to Edmonton. I'll be glad when they send him out on his first shift next Tuesday. I love him but I've gotten very used to having no kids in the house.........LOL

I've never taken him to the range before and it'll be great to share that with him.

Yea the AR made it home safely.

Im in the middle of building a blackout now, but the wife cut my spending down for a while so ill complete it next month.

I did pick up a 38 special derringer the other day but that peace of junk went back to the shop today, while I was at it I dropped of a old 32 revolver that needed a new firing pin and decided I wanted to change the sights on my ruger P89.

I did get in some range time yesterday. still working on a load for my 300 win mag that I like but i have to put that on hold while I start making some 300 AAC rounds to get ready for when the wife lets me order the upper parts.

I some how forgot that I added a Rock Island 1911 to my collection.
    It is picky on what mag you use but it dose have a decent trigger and runs flawlessly.

My dreams of getting a 50 BMG are going to have to wait a while longer, I came across my old 303 brit jungle version I had back in 1993 and traded to a guy, now he sold it to the gun shop I go to.
    I was out of $ and could not get it, the guy replaced the original stock with some plastic one but I still want it back.

Default I am new....

I am new to the forum and seen Gun Owning Smokers thread.

I have a few cigars thanks to my neighbor and fellow member on here "kingbeefy"
    I also have a few Glocks (which imo are the best ;) Colt AR, Tac 870, and a M&P .357 snubbie
    Don't shoot a lot just collect...hopefully I will collect a decent amount of cigars too
    I'll have the Milk steak and Jelly Beans
    -Charlie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Day Drunk View Post
    I am new to the forum and seen Gun Owning Smokers thread.

I have a few cigars thanks to my neighbor and fellow member on here "kingbeefy"
    I also have a few Glocks (which imo are the best ;) Colt AR, Tac 870, and a M&P .357 snubbie
    Don't shoot a lot just collect...hopefully I will collect a decent amount of cigars too
    Bad intro referencing KB. I give you 5 negative points for style, and vote for an immediate ban.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Thread Information