Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The US Thompson and the German MP40 huh? That sounds like fun! How was it? I was in the military, so I got to fire a few assault rifles, grenades, and machine guns. I got to fire the M16A1, the M16A2, M249, the M60, and good old Ma Deuce (M2 Browning). I regret that I wasn't around for the implementation of the M16A4. It sounds like they finally got it right with that weapon. The M249 (5.56 Nato) had an extremely high rate of fire. You have to be careful when firing because it burns through ammo very quickly and gets quite hot. The M60 (7.62 Nato) seemed to have a much slower, albeit much more powerful rate of fire. The M2 has the slowest rate of fire, but man oh man what a cannon! I also got a chance to throw M33 grenades and fire an M203 grenade launcher with live ammo. A rare treat. My only gripe with the M203 was that I had to fire it right handed and I'm a leftie. I still qualified expert.
    Last edited by Kenyth; 06-02-2010 at 03:15 PM.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    The US Thompson and the German M-40 huh? That sounds like fun! How was it? I was in the military, so I got to fire a few assault rifles, grenades, and machine guns. I got to fire the M16A1, the M16A2, M249, the M60, and good old Ma Deuce (M2 Browning). I regret that I wasn't around for the implementation of the M16A4. It sounds like they finally got it right with that weapon. The M249 (5.56 Nato) had an extremely high rate of fire. You have to be careful when firing because it burns through ammo very quickly and gets quite hot. The M60 (7.62 Nato) seemed to have a much slower, albeit much more powerful rate of fire. The M2 has the slowest rate of fire, but man oh man what a cannon! I also got a chance to throw M33 grenades and fire an M203 grenade launcher with live ammo. A rare treat. My only gripe with the M203 was that I had to fire it right handed and I'm a leftie. I still qualified expert.
    Now I'm envious!

Excuse me while I go wipe the drool off my chin........LOL

It was fun for sure. The Thompson didn't have the muzzle break on it so I stuck to 3 - 5 round burst since I like actually hitting the paper. I did one short burst with the MP40 and that beauty has almost no kick so I just pulled and held and (accurately) ran off the 30 round magazine in one long burst. It was so much fun, I did the "WW II package" a second time!

I know there are a lot newer, and better, full auto's out there. The Gun Store had quite an inventory...but I wanted to shoot the old tried and true "Tommy Gun" I've been in love with that one as long as I can remember. The MP40 was everything I'd read it was too so no loss in shooting that one either.

My stepson is a US Marine stationed in Camp Pendleton. He and his new wife drove up and spent a couple days with us over Easter weekend and I took him with me to shoot. Needless to say he discussed at length all the different "toys" he gets to play with too and it had the same effect on me as your list. After shooting we went to Casa Fuente for the Mojito and Cigar combo. What a nice way to start your day!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

I almost forgot. I got to send rounds downrange with a M110 8 inch howitzer and the 155mm M198. For those that have never seen real life grenades, rockets, artillery, etc. They look totally different than in the movies. There is no fireball. One second all is still, the next fraction of a second later the vicinity of the blast is filled with smoke and dust. A split second later you feel the concussion and hear a very low thunderous "boom". Also, the 40mm grenades fired by the M203 and similar weapons are relatively weak.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Blog Entries

Walked into Gander Mtn. tonight on a whim. Walked out 30min later with a "used*" Citadel 1911, 3.5" for $414.

*I can't find any evidence that it has been fired other than a tiny mark on the beaver-tail from the hammer.

Nice pick up. If anybody needs a rifle, Cabelas just got a huge supply of Russian nagants (sp?) from ww2 for like 150.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

I have a few guns. A Ruger LCP, a Ruger Sr9c(my fav by far), a S&W M&P 15-22 (soooo fun to shoot) and a cheap .22 savage mark II

Quote Originally Posted by lchoke View Post
    I have a few guns. A Ruger LCP, a Ruger Sr9c(my fav by far), a S&W M&P 15-22 (soooo fun to shoot) and a cheap .22 savage mark II
    I've been looking at the Ruger SR9c's and like them a lot. Just haven't bought one yet.
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

Thread Information