Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nah, not using black powder, just regular .45 Colt ammo. I think I found the issue during my latest range trip. I still ran into the chamber cycling issue, even after a real good cleaning. I noticed this time, fresh ammo from the box cycled fine; for two or three shots before the chamber would not cycle. I had a few rounds from the last range session that didn't cycle then and didn't cycle this time. Then I tried single shots from different chambers, fresh ammo worked and ones I already had chambered previously did not cycle. Hmmmm.......I then tried firing single shots of fresh ammo again, this time leaving the empty shell in the chamber and just loading another new shell in the next chamber.....no issues. I fired about ten shells this way and all fired with out a hitch. I then tried another shell that was previously chambered and it would not cycle again. So I started to look at the ammo, comparing a fresh shell from the box to one that would not cycle. Its barely noticeable, but it looks like the bullet on the shell that was chambered and would not cycle, was just slightly ever so pulled from the casing. So there appears to be the tiniest gap between the casing mouth and where bullet was previously seated compared to a fresh shell, thus causing the bullet to be too long to cycle.

So I'll have to try a different brand and see if I can find one that uses a roll crimp. At least until I get my reloads ready for use.
    Yay! Cigars!

Black powder was mentioned, I just picked up 2 used 1851 Piette 44's and will be getting back in to shooting them very soon.

For your ammo problems look at picking up a chamber gauge for the 45 colt, sounds like the bullets were not seated properly.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 04-06-2018 at 11:13 PM.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Yeah, my dad just bought on of those Chamber Gauges. They are a nice and handy tool. So I'm gona get one for my range bag and workbench. Oh and nice looking pistols those 1851s! I just did a Google search on them and they are very nice looking. What length barrel are yours?
    Yay! Cigars!

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    Nah, not using black powder, just regular .45 Colt ammo. I think I found the issue during my latest range trip. I still ran into the chamber cycling issue, even after a real good cleaning. I noticed this time, fresh ammo from the box cycled fine; for two or three shots before the chamber would not cycle. I had a few rounds from the last range session that didn't cycle then and didn't cycle this time. Then I tried single shots from different chambers, fresh ammo worked and ones I already had chambered previously did not cycle. Hmmmm.......I then tried firing single shots of fresh ammo again, this time leaving the empty shell in the chamber and just loading another new shell in the next chamber.....no issues. I fired about ten shells this way and all fired with out a hitch. I then tried another shell that was previously chambered and it would not cycle again. So I started to look at the ammo, comparing a fresh shell from the box to one that would not cycle. Its barely noticeable, but it looks like the bullet on the shell that was chambered and would not cycle, was just slightly ever so pulled from the casing. So there appears to be the tiniest gap between the casing mouth and where bullet was previously seated compared to a fresh shell, thus causing the bullet to be too long to cycle.

So I'll have to try a different brand and see if I can find one that uses a roll crimp. At least until I get my reloads ready for use.

Now that's how you troubleshoot an ammo/cycling issue!

Good job and I agree with Mangy and your own findings.......bad ammo. While not usual, it does happen. Here's hoping the next batch you buy performs properly. Oh, if it were me, I'd contact the manufacturer.........there's a chance they might feel it necessary to replace the box(es) of poorly made ammo.

My range is still covered in snow and I'm chomping at the bit to get out there. I'm hoping 2 or 3 weeks tops and I should be able to!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Finally got out to the range last week with my oldest brother. He just retired about 6 months ago and him and his wife spent a day or two here as they slowly work their way east visiting family and friends along the way back to Saskatoon area (they live in Vancouver, BC) I took him out fishing bright and early that morning and we had a blast as the fish were biting like crazy.........then the range in the afternoon.

My first 4 rounds out of my Remington 700 were under 1" at 100 yards...........gotta love that gun/scope combo. My older brother was very impressed with the scope and I'm willing to bet he'll be investing in a better one himself real soon.

There's nothing like looking through high quality optics to make you realize just how crappy your $100 scope is. I know that's what did it for me.......looking through our youngest brother's $2,500.00 NightForce scope.

Way to hot to hit the range so went gun shopping.

I was looking for a 308 but was talking to a friend i normally go gun buying with and that bastard talked me in to a 45/70 that a different friend had for sale at a good price.
    New toy - Henry 45/70 brass receiver octagon barrel and Large-loop lever, gun was not used still had the box for it $500 and along with 60 rounds of ammo.
    I am not looking forward to feeding this rifle at $1.75 a round its as bad as my 300 win mag.

Also picked up a junk Stephens bolt action 22 as a project gun to see if i can make it a usable gun again, it is in really bad shape but it was free.

Yep back on gun restriction for a while so even if i do find the 308 at a great price i cant get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Way to hot to hit the range so went gun shopping.

I was looking for a 308 but was talking to a friend i normally go gun buying with and that bastard talked me in to a 45/70 that a different friend had for sale at a good price.
    New toy - Henry 45/70 brass receiver octagon barrel and Large-loop lever, gun was not used still had the box for it $500 and along with 60 rounds of ammo.
    I am not looking forward to feeding this rifle at $1.75 a round its as bad as my 300 win mag.

Also picked up a junk Stephens bolt action 22 as a project gun to see if i can make it a usable gun again, it is in really bad shape but it was free.

Yep back on gun restriction for a while so even if i do find the 308 at a great price i cant get it.
    Gun restriction

That Henry is a nice rifle and would make a great bush gun. The bullets would not deflect easily and you could drop pretty much anything up to and including an elephant with that. Great price on it too.............I can see why you didn't pass it up.

Make sure you take some before photo's of the .22 so we can see what it looked like before you started working on it.

Soaking the 22 in oil right now.
    The rust appears to be only on the outside of the gun the action and rifling look fine and i found a few cracks in the stock.
    It will most likely just end up repairing and paint it due to no value, i am thinking orange and black

The 45/70 is going to get a scope on it tomorrow i found a QCB bug buster scope in my closet, cheap as hell but i really do not need much scope on a 100 to 200 yard gun just something i can see.
    Bifocals suck for iron sights so i have to use a low power scope with thick cross hairs or i may pick up a fixed power 3x32.

This week is my birthday so i got off gun restriction picked up 100 rounds for the 45/70 "that stuff is not cheap" and i ordered everything i need to reload it also

Update: i did use the UTG bug buster scope it fit perfectly with out removing the rear iron sight.
    I test fitted a few scopes i had and this one worked the best, before i sight it in i think i might pick up a fixed power scope in the same size to see if i like it better.
    Eye relief is where i was having problems with other scopes and a 40mm would require me removing the rear iron or get taller rings.
    I wanted a short scope mounted low almost like a pistol scope and the only one that fit the bill was the Bugbuster that i already had.

Now i am down to 2 guns i want a 308 and a 50 bmg and maybe a few more hand guns

Thread Information