Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fuma787 View Post
    You gotta have some meat around your shoulder or you'll just be in pain. It's a good idea to get a pad for your shoulder if you're going to buy a .30-06. Unless you have a meaty shoulder. At least that's my opinion.
    I appreciate the input. I'm a pretty good sized guy. I'd probably have to extend the stock anyways, due to my size. The extension on my shotgun is rubber.

I don't know if I'd shoot much more than a box or so at the gun range per visit. But I'm fairly sure I can handle it.

I was more looking for manufacturer recommendations. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

You gotta remember that those M1 Garands had ZERO recoil padding.. just a metal butt-plate.

Try shooting 25 or 30 3-1/2" 12-guage turkey shells! You will definately feel that in the morning!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    You gotta remember that those M1 Garands had ZERO recoil padding.. just a metal butt-plate.

Try shooting 25 or 30 3-1/2" 12-guage turkey shells! You will definately feel that in the morning!
    I've shot about 2 boxes (25ct. boxes) full of bird shot while I was skeet shooting. That was pretty bad. Are turkey shells much worse than that?
    All my ex's live in Texas.

I've shot about 2 boxes (25ct. boxes) full of bird shot while I was skeet shooting. That was pretty bad. Are turkey shells much worse than that?
    Why don't you try using the turkey loads the next time you go skeet shooting?

In a word... yes. I use the push pull method for shooting my 870 and find it works rather well. But target loads shouldn't hurt unless you don't have the butt in your shoulder. For turkey loads not to hurt you pretty much need to be shooting a turkey, those that hunt know what I mean.

Blog Entries

I can shoot brick of bird shot without any pain. High Velocity turkey shells are MUCH more powerfull... much worse than any buckshot load!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Morphed - I recently bought a new suit for this Rem 700BDL .243 Varmint Special. Made from '72 until '87 it is a super accurate, very low recoil, (but heavy) rifle. Stocky's thumbhole stock, Jewell trigger, Douglas barrel. Easy under 1 moa every group.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Morphed - I recently bought a new suit for this Rem 700BDL .243 Varmint Special. Made from '72 until '87 it is a super accurate, very low recoil, (but heavy) rifle. Stocky's thumbhole stock, Jewell trigger, Douglas barrel. Easy under 1 moa every group.
    That. Is. Beautiful.

Will
    Last edited by badwhale; 05-19-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: wanted to get the copy of the pic outta there
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I can shoot brick of bird shot without any pain. High Velocity turkey shells are MUCH more powerfull... much worse than any buckshot load!
    I did not know that about turkey shells. Thanks for the knowledge.

Kudos on the rifle double kudos on the game room DeeDubya.

Blog Entries

I once made the mistake of resting the butt of my Mosin against my collar bone. THAT hurt.

11. Default

sorry to jump into the conversation really late here, was just reading through the thread, the thing that keeps the recoil down on the M1 Garand is the sheer weight of the thing, it's downright heavy, I put the 8 rounds through it without much of a problem.

And yes 3-1/2 inch turkey loads are mean, especially in a non-gas operated gun. ick. Tell ya what though, if you wanna kill a turkey, a 3-1/2 inch load with an extra full choke is just wicked. You may was well be shooting a really large single projectile.

I'll have to get a picture up of my sks, absolutely love takin' that gun out for a good day of just blasting stuff. Virtually no recoil with decent range and decent knockdown power. Finding 7.62x39 ammo is all but impossible these days though.

Here's my baby.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1130.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	1033  

My two handguns. My Colt New Frontier .22mag for target and rodents, and my CZ75.

I also have a few shotguns for bird hunting, and a couple of bows for deer.

Blog Entries

Hey Barry,

Which gun are you holding in this photo?

TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Same one as in this pic.

Lmfao !!!!!

Thread Information