Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crawfish Boil

When you finish cooking the vegs you put them in a ice chest. They just stay cleaner and sweeter if you boil them in two batches. It also works as an snack before the bugs. I suck the heads also.

I'll show you a boil when you come down to do that duck hunting!

Rich

Great thread guys. Good information.

Blog Entries

While we're at it, it's important to note one more factor in boiling crawfish.

Some people swear by "purging" the crawfish before boiling. This process puts the crawfish, just before they are to be boiled, in a salt water bath. The thinking is that the salt water will make them poop, thus "cleaning them out". A typical purge is for about 5-10 minutes.

Another side of the argument is that purging is unnecessary, and in fact puts more stress on the crawfish. I've never understood the latter part of that argument, as I think I'd be stressed as well if I was a crawfish and there was a 42 quart pot of boiling water nearby.

I've seen boils done both ways. You do run the risk of having a few poopy crawfish with the latter method, BUT, you run the risk of cooking dead crawfish with the former method. For the boil that I just did, I didn't purge. In fact, no one I know purges anymore. That was so 1990's. I have been to a boil this season where the guy insists on purging. To each their own.

Now, an interesting argument would be that purging actually pre-seasons the crawfish. I don't know about that. Never noticed, to tell the truth. Rich?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

My take on purging is simple. If you get crawfish from a seafood house and they are already divided in size, they have already been cleaned and in a cooler for awhile. I don't think purging is needed as long as there is not a lot of trash visible in the sack and the crawfish look clean.
    If you do like we do, we get them from fisherman or run our own traps. We always purge and you can taste the difference. You can also see the difference in the boiled water itself. I understood it really doesn't make them poop as much as throw up. It gets evrything out of there stomachs that would wind up in your boil. This is also another reason we boil the side items before the crawfish and not with them. This is very true for crabs also.

Rich

Sounds like it was a success! Where are the pics?

Clam bakes or crawfish boil, anyway you cut it, I LOVE seafood, especially shellfish.

I wish that Crawfish was in season when I went down to NOLA for Mardi Gras. I ate my fill of oysters, fried seafood, and muffalettas (sp?).

Definitely need to go down and experience a crawfish boil next time.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyCold5 View Post

Clam bakes or crawfish boil, anyway you cut it, I LOVE seafood, especially shellfish.

I wish that Crawfish was in season when I went down to NOLA for Mardi Gras. I ate my fill of oysters, fried seafood, and muffalettas (sp?).

Andrew
    Andrew,
    You are invited anytime!

Rich

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyCold5 View Post

Andrew
    I'm surprised you couldn't find it in NO around Mardi Gras time. It would have been REALLY expensive, but probably still attainable. Echoing Rich's invitation, anytime you find yourself down here do let us know. We are just about at the end of the crawfish season now, to give you an idea.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Thread Information