Thread: Friday Rant - Today Sucks

Default Friday Rant - Today Sucks

Just a little Friday rant.

Some background. The company I work for will be exiting bankruptcy in the next few months. So far this year we have had our pay frozen, lost the match to our 401k contributions, lost a week of paid vacation AND a 10% salary reduction (across the board except for the union employees).

Three weeks ago the Senior Accountant gave her resignation, with her last day being today, Friday June 5th. Let’s call her R. The Accounting Supervisor pulled me in and told me that they were promoting me to the position with a pay raise (should have been about 22%), which would have gotten me the 10% back that I lost, with another 10% on top. I was stoked. I was excited. But alas, I was called into a meeting this morning and told that R had her job offer rescinded last Friday because something came up in the background check with the new company and she wanted to remain employed here. Her request climbed the corporate HR ladder and the company accepted the rescinding of her resignation late last night, which means I get screwed by not getting the position or the raise. Lesson learned, I suppose. Next time get it in writing, but I’m f'n pissed. Can’t take anyone’s word anymore. My weekend is going to start very shortly...

Thanks for allowing me to vent.
    Dan

Blog Entries

That's a royal bitch for sure bud. Relax with a nice beverage and something you've been wanting to smoke for awhile.

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Default hope things get better!

No doubt, there's a lot of crap that happens at the workplace. Kick back and have a drink and a cigar and enjoy your weekend. Hope things get better for you soon.

Blog Entries

Dan,

That blows. I agree with recommendations to fire up a nice one (or 6) this weekend. Remember, soon we will all meet up for the budget box pass!

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

What a fucking nut-punch -- not only do you lose out on the job, but you lose out to someone with something fairly questionable in her background check that obviously didn't want to remain an employee of the company? C'mon -- that ain't right on multiple levels. We routinely hire people back after they quit and leave -- I suspect mainly becuase they are a known commodity -- but I think the practice stinks. My view is that if someone rather work someplace else -- fine -- go ahead -- but don't come back here for a job -- ever. There might be a few exceptions to that general approach, but that should be the base line.

A nice smoke and a few choice cocktails are what the doctor ordered -- I feel your pain.

beer,titties and cigars is what you need brother

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EGQ View Post
    not only do you lose out on the job, but you lose out to someone with something fairly questionable in her background check that obviously didn't want to remain an employee of the company?
    I was wondering the same thing, man. Hang in there. These things have a way of turning around for the better. In the meantime, I would be upping the work production to get noticed. Be selfish. That's what corporate is all about.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. It just sucked today and I needed to vent. It's a shitty situation but everything will work out in the end. It just sucks because when the previous Sr Accountant left a year ago in June, I performed both jobs for three months. I was told I was not considered as a candidate for the job because I had been there for less than a year. When I was told I was getting the promotion a few weeks ago, I was told by the supervisor that he wished he had given me the job last year. The decision to take her back was made by persons not in our plant and my supervisor was extremely appologetic. R even made the comment that she hopes someday I don't hate her (I didn't say a word to her) and that she thinks our supervisor hates her now for doing this. I think what gets me the most fired up is that they promised the position to me and then yanked it back. Do they honestly think I'll be committed and not looking for another job?

I just went to dinner with the wife and am enjoying my first cocktail of the evening. It's raining outide, so I plan on enjoying a cigar tomorrow

Will - I'm looking forward to meeting up for box pass. That'll be a good time.

[
    beer,titties and cigars is what you need brother
    lol big bill - There is a 2'10" midget stripper coming to town tomorrow night. We keep joking with friends about going.

Be selfish. That's what corporate is all about.
    No worries Mark. She can sink her own ship. Some of her work is already suspect. You can only send so many incorrect reports to the VP.

Alright, thanks again everybody. I look forward to sharing some good news with you guys. Have a good one!

Blog Entries

Seems very odd for the higher ups to make that public and still hirer her back unless their hands are tied....sometimes the only way out is the company does a restructuring eliminates her job changes the position title and hires the person the want to move into the new position. In any event I am sorry for your disappointment. Going to any place good for dinner?
    Last edited by cinda; 06-05-2009 at 11:58 PM.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Quote Originally Posted by Irish79 View Post
    Do they honestly think I'll be committed and not looking for another job?
    Well, there's an opening where R didn't get in right?
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Dan - yeah, that's gotta be pretty disappointing. I know it sounds cynical, but this probably won't be the last time something like this comes around for you. Oftentimes, people are no good for their word or their handshake. And a contract is only as good as the litigator you might be able to afford, and, that's if you even want to plant a flag on that hill. One of the more salient things I've noticed in this economic downturn is that the nature of others' characters becomes a little clearer. There's some who emerge as a class act, and others who are the straightup assholes you may or may not've always suspected they were.

At any rate, to leaven the cynicism a little, what we get in a situation like yours is an opportunity to practice being one of the class acts. I can promise you, it'll come in handy some day.

Have a great weekend!
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Thread Information