Thread: Overhumidification on Coolidors

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Talking Overhumidification on Coolidors

It seems to me that the general trouble with coolidors is that they need to be frequently opened to maintain the proper RH and to exhange the air out of the coolidor. My question is...

Is there a way to make a coolidor with an opening to exchange air and still maintain the proper RH for the coolidor?

If a coolidor is left unattended for a while, like on a vacation or something like that, it would be nice to be able to leave it and not worry about it. Since I am an occasional smoker, I am interested in your views on this. Are there other ways to set one up so there is at least some ventilation without sacrificing RH? That is my question.

fyi I don't have a coolidor yet, but I am planning to make one, and I am hoping that I can establish the best coolidor that I can. Thanks.

Roger.
    Just another day at the office!

Blog Entries

I've never noticed problems like that...

the use of humidity controlling beads, say from Heartfelt industries, will eliminate that problem, provided they're maintained properly.

I live in the south, where Rh climbs very high in the summer, so I basically leave my beads, (65%), in a dry state, where they'll absorb excess moisture.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    It seems to me that the general trouble with coolidors is that they need to be frequently opened to maintain the proper RH and to exhange the air out of the coolidor. My question is...

Is there a way to make a coolidor with an opening to exchange air and still maintain the proper RH for the coolidor?

If a coolidor is left unattended for a while, like on a vacation or something like that, it would be nice to be able to leave it and not worry about it. Since I am an occasional smoker, I am interested in your views on this. Are there other ways to set one up so there is at least some ventilation without sacrificing RH? That is my question.

fyi I don't have a coolidor yet, but I am planning to make one, and I am hoping that I can establish the best coolidor that I can. Thanks.

Roger.
    Over the winter when I really didn't smoke very much, my cooler got opened maybe once a week and this was just to pick out a smoke. RH was rock steady at 66% the whole winter. I could maybe see excess humidity being a problem if you are in a hot environment with a simple humidification system. Simple meaning simpler than beads. Beads will release and absorb humidity so there should be no problem there. I have a Hydra active humidification system and it has been working extremely well for me. When I did have beads they worked well too.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    Over the winter when I really didn't smoke very much, my cooler got opened maybe once a week and this was just to pick out a smoke. RH was rock steady at 66% the whole winter. I could maybe see excess humidity being a problem if you are in a hot environment with a simple humidification system. Simple meaning simpler than beads. Beads will release and absorb humidity so there should be no problem there. I have a Hydra active humidification system and it has been working extremely well for me. When I did have beads they worked well too.
    Actually, a drop in temperature will increase RH in a sealed unit such as a cooler. That's when you need the beads to absorb. You should put your cooler in a location with minimum temperature fluctuations as your RH changes with temperature change. Hotter = lower RH, cooler = higher RH as long as the water volume in the air remains constant.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    I've never noticed problems like that...

the use of humidity controlling beads, say from Heartfelt industries, will eliminate that problem, provided they're maintained properly.

I live in the south, where Rh climbs very high in the summer, so I basically leave my beads, (65%), in a dry state, where they'll absorb excess moisture.
    Absolutely, I was a little over-zealous with my first coolerdor. I added an extra foam seal and put in a pound of beads (this one's pretty big though). I quickly learned to let the beads nearly dry completely before re-wetting. Then, only wet them until half are clear and half are white. Just don't add too much water at one time. It's best to re-wet the beads over a 2 or 3 day period.
    I learned the hard way, I was exploding good sticks by keeping the RH too high. When you get it right, they are the best IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    Actually, a drop in temperature will increase RH in a sealed unit such as a cooler. That's when you need the beads to absorb. You should put your cooler in a location with minimum temperature fluctuations as your RH changes with temperature change. Hotter = lower RH, cooler = higher RH as long as the water volume in the air remains constant.
    Yeah, I wasn't very clear with that. What I was getting at is that generally in a hotter climate, ambient humidity is much higher as opposed to the nearly 0% humidity we experience in the winter, which makes our humidification devices have to work just that much harder. If you just have a sponge with water in a climate with a high ambient humidity there is definitely a risk of over humidification. This makes the beads a very attractive choice because as long as you use them right, they can absorb and release water.

But yes Mark, you are right-in a closed system.
    Last edited by drew_goring; 06-09-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

Beads are the ONLY option where I live... other than a whole house dehumidifier.

Ambient today is over 90% at 93* F.

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    Beads are the ONLY option where I live... other than a whole house dehumidifier.

Ambient today is over 90% at 93* F.
    68degF and 51% here right now. Can't complain.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Thank you everyone

Thank you everyone for your input. I guess I may be just "too worried" about keeping them at the right RH. I will definitely give the beads a try for my humidification when I get that far. Looking for a nice cheap cooler to get started with.

I'm actually struggling with keeping my cooler RH in the happy range. I even removed all the beads a couple days ago and it hasn't dropped below ~72%. When I open the cooler, the RH actually goes up. I'm wondering if the hygrometer and plan on reclibrating tonight as a test.

While we're discussing coolerdors, how good of a seal should they have? As long as it stays shut if you turn it upside down? Or do you need something a bit heftier than that?
    I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Galvanicfish View Post
    While we're discussing coolerdors, how good of a seal should they have? As long as it stays shut if you turn it upside down? Or do you need something a bit heftier than that?
    Just get a small roll of "closed cell" adhesive backed foam tape. It comes in many sizes. There is also a choice of density. I like the low density because it conforms to irregular surfaces better.

Blog Entries

Talking Seal

To my understanding it needs to seal good enough to keep proper humidity in, but i don't think it needs to be hermetically sealed. Coolers offer very good protection for cigars. I am hoping to put one together just as soon as I can find a cheap cooler.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by DW
    Just get a small roll of "closed cell" adhesive backed foam tape.
    Excellent suggestion. Now all I need are ze beads and hygrometer. Well, and cigars to put in it, but that's the fun part.
    I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

Blog Entries

I like the 48 quart Coleman coolers.. no wheels. They have four cup holders on the top.

These seal just fine. One way to check, open the lid all the way, and let it fall closed under it's own weight. It should need a little final push to close fully.

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Absolutely, I was a little over-zealous with my first coolerdor. I added an extra foam seal and put in a pound of beads (this one's pretty big though). I quickly learned to let the beads nearly dry completely before re-wetting. Then, only wet them until half are clear and half are white. Just don't add too much water at one time. It's best to re-wet the beads over a 2 or 3 day period.
    I learned the hard way, I was exploding good sticks by keeping the RH too high. When you get it right, they are the best IMO.
    I appreciate hearing about the mistakes, so I can learn from them.
    I am liking the coolidor idea.
    Hey, check this out. This is free on Clist. And I could see it actually making a nice big cabidor!
    http://worcester.craigslist.org/zip/1205568726.html
    Last edited by Stinkdyr; 06-16-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Thread Information