Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A cigar you say. What is that? (aka Newbie Introduction)

Default A cigar you say. What is that? (aka Newbie Introduction)

Just a little about me to begin. I am a 24 year old guy from Tennessee. My life is remarkably dull so there isn't much to tell you.

Anyways, true newbie here everyone. Never had a cigar in my mouth at any moment of my life. Smoked three cigarettes in my life and didn't care all that much for them. Way to harsh and in the presence of some cigarette smoke, actually choke. It's totally different with cigars though. The smell of cigar smoke is heavenly. My dad would smoke these wood tipped cigars and the smell on him is strong in my memory. He would never smoke in front of us. My mom and him to a certain extent disapproved of smoking, so she wouldn't let him smoke at home and he didn't push the issue. He has since quit. Their disapproval is a big reason as to why I haven't tried cigars yet. I can't live under their iron fists forever though, so I am looking into experiencing some really good cigars. My reasons aren't epic, just looking for a new hobby I can wrap my mind around and possibly share with my cigarette smoking acquaintances.

I'll stop there, I don't want to get too personal, but anyways, thanks for operating this board. A couple of days of perusing has really enlightened me. Thanks a lot.

Oh, if you happen to wonder about my username. Its a take on Barney Fife.

Welcome from Pennsylvania.

Welcome from Central Texas Barney,
    Keep your bullet in your gun not in your shirt pocket!

Blog Entries

Cool intro.

Welcome from Bitterville, PA

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Welcome from California!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm going to be getting into traditional cigars(hopefully getting in on a newbie sampler), but at the moment, I am looking for a high quality small 30 minute or less cigar. I've been looking at the "Romeo Y Julieta Habana Reserve Pequenos or Amores. Anybody have any experience with those? Other suggestions are welcome. I was about to buy some Swisher's earlier this week until I found this site. Apparently, I dodged a bullet there. Thanks everyone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ibarney5 View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm going to be getting into traditional cigars(hopefully getting in on a newbie sampler), but at the moment, I am looking for a high quality small 30 minute or less cigar. I've been looking at the "Romeo Y Julieta Habana Reserve Pequenos or Amores. Anybody have any experience with those? Other suggestions are welcome. I was about to buy some Swisher's earlier this week until I found this site. Apparently, I dodged a bullet there. Thanks everyone.
    Try:
    ARTURO FUENTE HEMINGWAY Short Story
    Ramone Allones Reserve, Corona Minor

Will
    Last edited by badwhale; 06-17-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Added another suggestion
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Welcome from Kansas City!

Welcome from North Carolina.

Blog Entries

Welcome from CO
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board.

Welcome to the board.

I would second the suggestion for the Fuente Short Story. You may also wish to try the Oliva Serie G Special G.
    I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

Welcome aboard from MD. I'm not quite sure what a "traditional" cigar is. Do you want to start to with a light to medium body cigar (highly recommended)? Or are you the daring type ready to leap into something that'll blow your socks off?
    Dan

Blog Entries

Welcome from northern Louisiana.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Welcome from Virginia!

I got your PM and working out the details on your Newbie Sampler. You'll AF Short story and many more my friend.

Andrew

Keep the Roscoe in your pocket Barney.
    Hello from Delaware.
    One of the first cigars I had was a Romeo y Julieta Robusto - average smoke. didn't like it at first but now I'm growing on it. All in different taste I guess.

Oh boy. What have I done here. I've enjoyed a few of the cigars from my Newbie Sampler. Really giving me a great idea as to what I am looking for. At the moment though, I have Humidor on the mind. I'm not asking for help because this is pretty straight-forward. I thought about a coolidor, but at the moment, I am no where near being able to fill one up. Nope, I am looking at a nice desktop/showpiece humidor. This one:

Humidor

Seems like an awesome deal. I don't know if I should trust the site reviews(bias), but the humidor looks good and I have heard some good things here about it. Probably will pull the trigger tonight. Something I am not sure about is the Humidor Solution. Is it needed or will pure distilled water do just as good? Anyways, another problem I have had is cutting my cigars, I don't have a proper cutter so I have had to use a razor. Decent, but next week, I am going to pick up a Palio cutter hopefully. I'm using a Ronson JetLite Lighter, no problems.

After all of that is set, I will begin to sample more and guide myself to full box purchases and what not. Thanks again everyone.

18. Default

Cuban Crafters are great humidors and Palio are great cutters. Ronsons are my everyday lighter.
    The older I get ,the better I was

Looks like you are off to a great start. Welcome from Utah.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Humidor incoming! I went with a smaller 40 count humidor. From the pic, it looks gorgeous:

Can't wait to get it. I'll shut up now.

Thread Information