Thread: New Tobacco Law

Default New Tobacco Law

Link to AP article via Google News

FDA now has jurisdiction over tobacco products (I do not know if this is focused only on cigarettes or cigars as well).
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

I guess that means no more Acids
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
    I guess that means no more Acids
    The Acids will unfortunately probably still be okay. Ditto cased pipe tobacco. It'll be your Primetimes that'll be regulated first.

What they'll do with chewing tobacco and snus will be interesting to see.

For cigars, we'll hopefully finally see what brands use dyes, vaseline, casings, and/or bethunes (that don't say anything now). AFAIK, only Graycliff and Puros Indios have publicly admitted to it, and one manufacturer - Padron - has publicly said that they don't.

As an aside:
    dye - to get consistent wrapper colour
    vaseline (and similar) - to get oily wrappers
    casings - flavours added to the tobacco
    bethune - the Cuban term for casing
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

how many calories do cigars have? will they post a nutritional label?
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaiguan Juan View Post
    how many calories do cigars have? will they post a nutritional label?
    You'll get something like the fun labels that we have (WARNING: disgusting graphics.)
    http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hc-ps/tobac-t.../index-eng.php

When the labels first came out, some folks smoked more to collect the whole set.
    Craig

Default Cigar cosmetics

This raises some interesting questions. I searched "cigar additives", and one of the sites is a long list of things added to tobacco on its way to consumers. I'm thinking a lot of this is cigarette additives, but some are listed as exclusively for cigars. One is sodium nitrate, which is a combustion modifier for wrappers and binders in cigars (#67). So, wtf?

The thing that comes to mind is a "razor sharp burn" that many use to market their product and that some expound upon in reviews. Now, I've had highly refined product (say, Casa Fuente) that sure enough had a line straight enough to plumb with. It kind of amazes me really how they're able to pull it off and I've always attributed this to superior skills of top rollers. Is this inaccurate? I've also smoked cigars that are not so refined (farmies from, well, I don't remember), although "unrefined" would be misleading. This would be like comparing bleached, fine, lotsa-shit-added cake flour to whole wheat. And, I'll take the latter over the former any time. As long as a cigar will draw, doesn't tunnel, and doesn't run too badly, I don't think I give a shit about a scalloped burn line.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    This raises some interesting questions. I searched "cigar additives", and one of the sites is a long list of things added to tobacco on its way to consumers. I'm thinking a lot of this is cigarette additives, but some are listed as exclusively for cigars. One is sodium nitrate, which is a combustion modifier for wrappers and binders in cigars (#67). So, wtf?

The thing that comes to mind is a "razor sharp burn" that many use to market their product and that some expound upon in reviews. Now, I've had highly refined product (say, Casa Fuente) that sure enough had a line straight enough to plumb with. It kind of amazes me really how they're able to pull it off and I've always attributed this to superior skills of top rollers. Is this inaccurate? I've also smoked cigars that are not so refined (farmies from, well, I don't remember), although "unrefined" would be misleading. This would be like comparing bleached, fine, lotsa-shit-added cake flour to whole wheat. And, I'll take the latter over the former any time. As long as a cigar will draw, doesn't tunnel, and doesn't run too badly, I don't think I give a shit about a scalloped burn line.
    Agreed. I ususally comment on the burn in my reviews, but haven't had a "bummer" yet.

Ted, do you know specifically of any brands that use KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate) to enhance the burn? I'd be interested in being able to identify when I'm not smoking something all natural.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

No, and really, that it is used as a "combustion modifier" is news to me, although not really surprising given how perfect some brands consistently burn. And, I'm not really sure this is what it's for. It could be for slower burn or to burn at the same rate as the filler or something, I don't know.

I guess one of my points is, is that some rollers churn out their own product, surely without that aid and benefit of any number of modifiers, enhancers, and additives, to no ill effect. Are they as cosmetically compliant (I hesitate to use the word "appealing")? No, but it is, IMO, a superior product.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Blog Entries

Very interesting Ted, thanks for the post. Perhaps the new regs, while onerous on the surface, may provide some kind of benefit. Other than infused cigars, and dyed wrappers, I was ignorant of chemical modifications to cigar tobacco.

I thought cigar tobacco was pure and untouched by chemicals as well. Should be interesting to see where this goes.
    Yay! Cigars!

Blog Entries

One has to keep in mind that "cigar" in the link Basil posted includes machine-made cigars, "little cigars," cigars with binder and/or wrapper made of "homogenized tobacco product" (paper with made from stems, etc.), filler that might include reconstituted tobacco, White Owls , etc.

Anyhow, the truth is out there somewhere ...
    Craig

I think what concerns me more than additives for flavor enhancement or dyes for color would be insecticides. As we all know, little holes in the wrapper are a big problem. Some of the small tobacco farms are hidden away in places where... who would know? A little DDT goes a long way to killing bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    One has to keep in mind that "cigar" in the link Basil posted includes machine-made cigars, "little cigars," cigars with binder and/or wrapper made of "homogenized tobacco product" (paper with made from stems, etc.), filler that might include reconstituted tobacco, White Owls , etc.

Anyhow, the truth is out there somewhere ...
    Good point. I don't think about that stuff as cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    I think what concerns me more than additives for flavor enhancement or dyes for color would be insecticides. As we all know, little holes in the wrapper are a big problem. Some of the small tobacco farms are hidden away in places where... who would know? A little DDT goes a long way to killing bugs.
    Yeah, I've wondered about this as well. You can bet that regs are either unenforced or nonexistent in other (3rd world) countries. And if using pesticides=higher yields=larger profit margins, then, well, that all equals pesticide use.

I know, I get geniuser every day.
    - Tom Robbins

Blog Entries

That's it. I'm quitting.
    Let me get on "the exchange" and start an auction... or a trade for a yugodor.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    snip.....
    I know, I get geniuser every day.
    I knew it was a bad omen when you got that thesaurus.

Thread Information