Thread: Pda?

Default Pda?

I need to get a PDA. Any suggestions for around $300 to $400? I do not have to have wireless email connectivity. I need a calendar, appoitment book, address book, and all the basics just wireless is not an absolute must.

SUGGESTIONS?
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

I'm a big fan of my Treo 600.
    It has a keyboard, phone and camera.

I've found it handier than carrying both a pda and a phone seperately.

N2

I've had a number of the Palm pilots, and so has my family. For the most part they are awsome machines, no matter what budget you choose to spend.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Greenville, SC Elizabeth, NJ Baltimore, MD...

My girlfriend got me an HP Ipaq 1940. I like it but don't use it all that much. ake sure you get one with bluetooth, you won't regret it. Now I cna link wirelessly with my computer, and I recently bought a bluetooth GPS receiver and noe use my Ipaq almost exclusively for navigation. I travel a lot for work so it's worth it's weight in gold. They even make some with a GPS receiver built right in for $4-500, but I can't think of any brands offhand...

Thanks for the replys. I was leaning toward the HP or the Dell Axim. I can get a great deal on the Dell and it has all the things I want.

Any comments on the Axim?
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Hey Jason... I have an Axim X30 which I love... My boss has a Palmpilot and I prefer the Windows based OS anyday... much more familiar feel and layout, plus runs word and excel and lots of other apps. Great battery life, wireless rocks... I have nothing bad to say at all... had it almost a year now.
    Last edited by 8-5-8; 06-27-2005 at 12:05 PM.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

If you can splurge about $500, the Siemens SX66 from Cingular is a great Pocket PC pda and phone in one. It syncs with outlook perfectly and has bluetooth + 802.11b

I use a PalmPilot and I have had one for years. I have the Tungsten E, if I need more memory I can always put a flash card in it.

I would stay away from the Windows OS format and go with a Palm OS. I never did like Windows, then again I use an Apple computer.

Here is a web site I use to get after market programs www.palmgear.com

Any questions feel free to PM me

Blog Entries

Like mentioned in the other thread, I got a PPC 6600 from Sprint. Verizon carries it as well (I think I saw a TV ad with a price of $299). I love it.

It does have a few bugs (it runs Pocket PC Windows). I had it crash a couple of times, but as long as you back up every now and then your good to go.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

I just got the Dell Axim X50v. It was a great deal as I got it for 35% off. I paid just under $500.

Next steps:

1. Figure out how to use it
    2. Figure our how to tell my wife I spent $500 instead of the $300 - $400 I thought it would cost Oh well we have a comfy couch in the living room.

Then tell her you needed it to keep track of your cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch
    Then tell her you needed it to keep track of your cigars.
    Oh yeah that would go over really well Grinch. LMAO

I have used a palm pilot for the past 7 years and feel that it is a great OS. I know several people who have Palm PC's and I have had time to spend exploring their capabilities and I find them to be sluggish and memory hogs. Also as far as software availability, Palm is miles ahead with literally thousands of applications available.

I can sync with Outlook. I can view and edit native Word and Excel files, I can view PDF files, as well as Quicken. And the best thing is when I need to do something I have no software for, a quick web search on Palmgear turns up a match 90% of the time because there are so many third party developers. (Bill Gates doesn't allow that sort of thing.)

Also there is a program called PDA Toolbox that lets you quickly and easily create your own programs to do exactly what you need to do in a Drag and Drop interface.

So I guess the true question is how you plan on using your PDA. I really USE it in my work. I collect data, create databases, use it to perform calculations, I have a huge library of ebooks.

If you really are just going to use it as a datebook/address book and sync with Outlook, then a PPC will work fine other than the occasional system crash (remember to back up as often as possible).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by labmonkey
    (Bill Gates doesn't allow that sort of thing.)
    You can write apps in .NET for Pocket PC. I have Visual Studio .NET 2003, I just havent had time to get my C# skills up to par.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

15. Default

The sprint pda's are very nice- they have phones, camera, videocamera, all the accessaries you need, plus more! Not TOO expensive either

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spncr2006
    The sprint pda's are very nice- they have phones, camera, videocamera, all the accessaries you need, plus more! Not TOO expensive either
    Yep, the data plans are reasonably priced as well. Verizon charges a lot for data (too much IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848
    You can write apps in .NET for Pocket PC. I have Visual Studio .NET 2003, I just havent had time to get my C# skills up to par.

that's the thing....with PDA Toolbox you can whip out a quick program to do exactly what you want in about an hour with absolutely NO programing skills. If you do know C+ you can get fancy, but for just a usable stable program it is all available to the novice.

Thread Information