Thread: Noob intro, and some light questions

Default Noob intro, and some light questions

I've been lurking here for a while. I have to say I've never seen such a group of sarcastic arrogant bastards. I feel like I've found dozens of long-lost brothers. The fact that this forum suffers no fools but also has fun AND useful information is why I wanted to join and speak up.

I'm 44, run a small VoIP-based telephone company (http://www.televolve.com if anyone cares), and love enjoying life. To that end I enjoy boating, and my usual place to have a cigar is at the marina or sitting on the back of the boat with my feet in the water. Add scotch and great friends, and I can't think of a better way to spend an hour.

I'd call myself a cigar noob even though I've smoked them casually for a very long time. I've had unsuccessful attempts at keeping a humidor several times, and reading through posts here has educated me on why they had problems (cheap crap, leaky, etc). For the last few months I've been using a Xikar travel humidor as my only one, and just buying enough for the weekend or two weekends. However I haven't yet discovered "my" cigar and am trying to experiment, so that space is limiting. The fully sealed box has led to not losing any sticks to dryness however, finally.

Now I'm going to gloat: This week I picked up a huge, beautiful, well made humidor for $50. It's actually a cigar box for the "Museum" cigar, but since the sticks are $30 each, the box is built to match. My local shop was selling it cheap. It has all the makings of a great humidor; whoosh sound when you close it, and zero slop or misfit anywhere. In this I put an electronic humidification unit which I think will be the perfect thing to preserve my sticks in our dry climate.

Currently my favorite cigars are the Macanudo 1968 and Tabak Especial Dulce. Yes, I know it's a flavored cigar and that makes me a raving homosexual. I'd love to hear your suggestions on other smokes to try based on those two likes. I don't yet have the knowledge to say what I like and don't like in a cigar in "afficionado" terms. I tend towards larger gauges because that seems to give me more flavor in every draw. I like shorter sticks because my adult-onset ADD keeps me from committing to a two hour smoke. I dislike cigars that have what I consider an ashy or cigarette taste. Not sure if there's a better way to describe that. I like a light, smoky draw. I use a punch cutter instead of a guillotine type, not sure why.

The things I hope to learn next are:

Safely keeping an infused cigar along with regular ones. Maybe I just need another humidor? I don't know if the light coffee flavor of the Tabak Especial will "leak" onto the others.

The best way to draw for flavor and not overheating the cigar. Seems like sometimes a stick starts to taste ashy or burnt and I don't know if it's the cigar or me overheating it.

How to describe the flavors I like and dislike so I can start intelligently experimenting and ranking my experiences.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board. Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke, no matter what anybody says about those gay flavoreds and over-hyped macadoodles.

Yes, you need a seperate storage device for your flavored sticks. You will not like the results if you mix them with your non-flavored sticks. Perhaps a small tupperdor or something along those lines would work for you....depends on the volume of flavoreds you want to store I guess.

To avoid overheating a smoke, uh, draw slowly and space your draws out to about 1 per minute. You should also try purging, blowing out through the cigar, when you notice that "ashy" taste you dislike.

Try the newbie sampler in the exchange forum. IMHO, it is the best way to try a range of sticks with different profiles that will come to you in ready to smoke condition.

Welcome from Central Texas

Yep 44 is gettin on up there in years. But if you do it right you can still smoke a lot of cigars before the big one. Speaking from experience of course.

If you're going to be our friend, you need to get off those dadgummed macanoodles... Friends don't let friends smoke macanoodles...

But seriously - if those are your current choices for cigars, you've got only one direction you can go at this point - straight up! I could make suggestions, but I would strongly suggest you find yourself a good tobacconist at a well stocked local shop to help you on your journey. As they get to know you, they will know what you like/dislike and will steer you in the right direction.

As far as this community - you're going to find that some suggestions will be brilliant, while others will be "what was he thinking?" The more you try, though - the more you'll lock in on what you like.

...and I'm glad you recognize ball busting for what it is. You've won half the battle already!!!

You will not like the results if you mix them with your non-flavored sticks.
    I think I know the answer, but...will keeping the flavored ones in cello prevent the problem? I'm guessing not.

What's the deal with Macanudo? I guess I haven't lurked enough to read about them here. I didn't buy them on hype, a friend sent me a three-some to try and I liked them. I don't know anything else about the brand, and don't think I've tried anything other than the 1968. As far as finding some local advice, that's a good tip and I did last week. He suggested that if I like the 1968 I might like the Olivas better, and I did. Plus I think they cost less.

I really like the way that the Tabak has a very light draw that's nice and smoky. So how do I describe that or look for it in other cigars? I don't like the ones I've tried with a tight draw that requires a couple puffs to get started. It seems related to the tightness of the wrap and how much give they have, am I correct? The tabak is easy to squeeze and soft.

Try the newbie sampler in the exchange forum.
    I do want to get in on some trades, I look forward to that a lot. I also would like to find an experienced local who'd like to do some trades or visit a shop/lounge together.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    The things I hope to learn next are:

Safely keeping an infused cigar along with regular ones. Maybe I just need another humidor? I don't know if the light coffee flavor of the Tabak Especial will "leak" onto the others.

The best way to draw for flavor and not overheating the cigar. Seems like sometimes a stick starts to taste ashy or burnt and I don't know if it's the cigar or me overheating it.

How to describe the flavors I like and dislike so I can start intelligently experimenting and ranking my experiences.
    Nice intro.

About the punch - nice pickup. I like those too sometimes.

I would keep my Macanudos and flavored cigars together - in the trash. The only realistic way you can do this is to have separate humidors, and they need to be at least 111 yards away from each other. Any closer, and it will ruin cigar smoking for you forever.

As far as overheating the cigar, don't smoke so fast. Put the cigar down, throw some darts, whatever, then pick it back up and take a few more pulls.

Good luck describing the flavors. I haven't been smoking long, but as a wise man once taught me on this board, there are ONLY two kinds of cigars - the ones you like, and the ones you don't. Try the Newbie Sampler Thread - you won't be disappointed.

Welcome from northwest Louisiana.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I used to double and triple puff the cigar when it had indications of going out or didn't produce much smoke. Not good. I have found that every draw should be slow and easy. As mentioned above, you should get in the habit of timing your draws far enough apart to let the cigar settle. If you find that you don't get an adequate amount of smoke or you think the cigar might be going out, try drawing again gently after about 10 seconds or so. It usually wakes the burn up.

Most guys here don't like flavored cigars. If you do, that's OK, but there is no way to store them with your other cigars. The perfume will mingle. If you like the Macs, smoke them. Macanudo is probably the best selling cigar in the US, probably because it is the most recognizable name out there. But don't let the hype fool you. There are much better cigars out there for less money. Personally, I think they are flavorless.

Jump in and try the newbie sampler. It'll let you talk one on one with someone here who has experience and will get you a variety of good cigars at a reasonable price.

Welcome.

Ok, good advice. That ADD thing makes me want to just smoke the thing. Yeah, slow down and enjoy. But I can speed up and enjoy too.

Come to think of it, maybe that's part of the difference between the cigars I like, and the ones I don't. Sometimes I sit on the back of the boat with my feet in the water and a good scotch, smoking really slowly, talking with friends. Other times I'm just smoking and probably drawing too often.

But don't let the hype fool you.
    Where does one hear this hype? I don't know anything about the brand. I don't read the cigar magazines or anything where apparently this hype is printed. I honestly just came across this cigar because a friend sent me some.

Interestingly, the wife hates the smell of this cigar and says its smoke has a chemical smell. She likes most others.

"Interestingly, the wife hates the smell of this cigar and says its smoke has a chemical smell. She likes most others.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with your wife. I sometimes take a cigar into my workshop with the A/C running and door closed. So it's normal to go in several days later and still smell cigars. But, I once smoked a Macanudo in there and for about a week I could smell the difference. This is absolutely a fact. I wonder what they add for so-called flavor enhancement. It definately does have a kind of residual sulfurous chemical smell.

Blog Entries

Welcome from Ottawa, Canada .

I've had a few Mac 1968's - not bad, but waaayyyy over-priced. Very different from other Macadoodles.

FYI on the museum humi: "The lid contains a removable limited-edition giclee print on 100 percent rag museum board and paper, created by famed 3-D artist Charles Fazzino. Each unique piece is signed and numbered by the artist."
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

Welcome from CO. Take advantage of the newb sampler, I wish that I had.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Yeah, the 3D print thing is kinda cute. I don't know that it adds anything, being on the inside, but again for $50 I sure can't complain. I think I'm going to visit that store frequently and get ready to pounce when the current box is sold out. Heck, maybe I'll buy one or two. I'd like to know what I get from a $30 cigar.

I probably won't buy the 1968 again, since I like the Oliva better and it's within the same taste range, but with a lower price. I didn't realize that Macanudo added anything to the tobacco! So it's kind of like a cigarette I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post

Where does one hear this hype? ...
    Macanudo is the most heavily advertised brand in the US and has the biggest brand recognition. Many new smokers walk into a cigar shop and that's the only face they recognize.

Welcome to the boards Carlos and nice score on the humi

Welcome to the board, hope you enjoy your stay.
    I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Welcome from Ottawa, Canada .

I've had a few Mac 1968's - not bad, but waaayyyy over-priced. Very different from other Macadoodles.

FYI on the museum humi: "The lid contains a removable limited-edition giclee print on 100 percent rag museum board and paper, created by famed 3-D artist Charles Fazzino. Each unique piece is signed and numbered by the artist."
    Sometimes you really scare me craig...you just know everything!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Cool Welcome to the boards!

Very nice to meet you! Nice intro! That's coming from one noob to another. Macanoodles! That was the very first cigar that I smoked... perhaps the second one. For the person who has no experience in cigars the experience of smoking one is ok. But after trying some others, I really have enjoyed the variety, and much better flavor of others. I am not much for flavored cigars either. I thought I would like them, but comparing them side by side to not flavored the not flavored ones win hands down. Of course, smoke what you want to smoke and enjoy every experience. I just got set up with a coolidor 48qt. I only have 5 sticks in it but that will change very soon. Welcome from east central Oregon! Hope you enjoy the boards as much as I have. You will find everyone here very helpful! Roger.

Try a CAO Gold, I thought it was very good!
    Just another day at the office!

Thread Information