Thread: So, I was reading the latest

Blog Entries

Default So, I was reading the latest

installment of my regular shitter material, otherwise known as the CI catalouge, and I couldn't help but notice COROJO all over the place. Just about every page had at least one cigar that sports a fantastic corojo wrapper.

Here's some nice reading on corjo and criollo wrappers, from 2004:
    http://www.smokemag.com/0304/feature.htm

I found it interesting that this strain is not used in Cuba any longer, but lots of non-cuban cigar manufacturers are using it to emulate the "cuban taste".

Who else likes corjo wrappers? My favorite is the Camacho diploma, but the Famous nic private selection is nice also.

Spanish Galleon torps. Good pricier corojo bundle.

Blog Entries

I've recently smoked the J.Fuego 777 Corojo and the Perdomo Patriarch. Both seemed to have a slight caramel taste and some sweet spice. I'm not sure if both of those flavors are characteristic of Corojo or not, but I enjoyed both cigars!
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Interesting article, thanks for positng.

I had a Cusano Corojo '97 robusto a couple months ago that was absolutely awful. It tasted of saccharine, and other less identifiable chemical-like flavors. Though after reading that, I may look for something else with a corojo wrapper just to see if that was a one time bad experience.
    I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

Now honestly, how would some of us know if corojo wrappers provide for a Cubanesque character since we don't smoke anything from the ISOM?

However, from what I've heard, you don't need corojo or criollo to be Cubanesque. Actually, two of the least expensive cigars with a thick Cuban heritage can provide some authentic Cubanesque character. Both the Gispert and Henry Clays have Connecticut wrappers. If you haven't tried either of these (especially the Gispert Maduro) you should. Warning, the Henry Clays are not for beginners. I have been through at least 20 boxes of their different vitolas.

The Perdomo Cuban Parejo Epicure is another Connecticut wrapped Nicaraguan with some Cuban influence. You will always finds some of these in my humi.

Many, like the Rocky Patel Cuban Blend claim to be Cubanesque but are not for me. Just being a full-bodied cigar does not make it Cubanesque.

Higher up on the shelf, I would have to go with Padron's or Camacho's to emulate the full, thick and creamy clouds of smoke from the island. Just guessing of course.
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 07-08-2009 at 09:28 AM.

I do enjoy the Perdomo Habano Corojo, very nice
    sammis

Thread Information