Thread: The last third

Default The last third

I hate the last third of a cigar. I read reviews where people describe the last third as being different but still greatly smokeable, yet I don't recall ever wanting to smoke the last 1/3. Am I doing something wrong, or maybe it's just my taste? They always taste bitter, harsh, and ashy to me. I do clear them (one breath out enough?). Thoughts?

2. Default

A lot of people dont smoke more that half a cigar. Smoke it until you don't care for the taste anymore. Thare are no rules on how muck to smoke. I cannot finish a Connecticut shade wrapped cigar but can nub almost any sun grown wrapped cigar
    The older I get ,the better I was

Default Control the drewl

Usually just the opposite for me. I really start to enjoy a cigar around the halfway point. The only reason I would toss a cigar would be because of a hard draw. That will also ruin the taste. Also, never let saliva get into the cigar. As when working in the yard, etc. and stooping over that can easily happen.

Take a La Aurora for example. A medium strength cigar, these really get flavorful around the halfway mark. To toss it before then would be, well, I wouldn't tell anyone that I can't finish a cigar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    A lot of people dont smoke more that half a cigar. Smoke it until you don't care for the taste anymore. Thare are no rules on how muck to smoke. I cannot finish a Connecticut shade wrapped cigar but can nub almost any sun grown wrapped cigar
    Spot on!! Pitch it when you're not enjoying it any longer, it's supposed to be a pleasurable experience.

Blog Entries

I agree with DW on this one.

Many of the cigars I've smoked are best after the first half. For some reason, the first half just doesn't have as much flavor for me. But that's just me.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

I have trouble with this too. If you smoke it down all the way, how far is enough? Personally I have a hard time not smoking nearly the whole thing. It seems to me that I have a hard time putting down even a cheap 3 dollar cigar. Guess I want to get full value out of it. Well anyway, even if it is unbearable at the moment, say half way through, you never know how it will improve along the way.
    Just another day at the office!

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Spot on!! Pitch it when you're not enjoying it any longer, it's supposed to be a pleasurable experience.
    Exactly. I've thrown out cigars an inch in, nubbed some and anywhere in between.

It's only a cigar. I'm not going to suffer through hoping that it will improve.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

So what makes the taste change? I assume it must be the last part of the stick absorbing all the smoke, and changing the flavor? Or is it due to the actual variations in the different parts of the tobacco leaf?

If it's a change due to smoke, could you just split the cigar and smoke twice? I guess that was Nub is trying to do?

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Agreed. I also find that there seems to be a spot where the cigar just seems to go out. I usually take this as an indication that it's time to let it stay out.

You may also find that letting the cigar sit in your humi for 6 months or so before you smoke it will take the harshness out.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    So what makes the taste change? I assume it must be the last part of the stick absorbing all the smoke, and changing the flavor? Or is it due to the actual variations in the different parts of the tobacco leaf?

If it's a change due to smoke, could you just split the cigar and smoke twice? I guess that was Nub is trying to do?
    I really don't know, but I would guess that much of the moisture leaves the cigar through the foot. Storing at an RH above 65% makes the wrapper non-porous, so the cigar is wetter near the head until it gets a chance to dry out all the way through.

Again, it's just a guess, but I have experienced a marked improvement in a cigar, especially the last half, after it rests a while. You may want to try dry boxing before smoking the cigar also. Just put the cigar in an unhumidified box for a day or 2 before you smoke it.

As for cutting it in half, don't do it. The part near the head will smoke ok but the other half will just unravel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Smoke it until you don't care for the taste anymore. Thare are no rules on how muck to smoke.
    I agree, I have found that every cigar I smoke is different. I typically let the smoke tell me when it's time to put it down.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

so the cigar is wetter near the head until it gets a chance to dry out all the way through.
    Kind of leads me to something I've always wondered...why is the foot sealed? And wouldn't it humidify better if you cut it before storage?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Kind of leads me to something I've always wondered...why is the foot sealed? And wouldn't it humidify better if you cut it before storage?
    You can cut it a day or 2 before you smoke it - some people do this before a trip to avoid ringing a cutter - as long as it is protected from any chance of physical damage. The reason the head is wrapped is to avoid damage to the cigar. Damage to the foot will not really hurt it, but damage to a head that is cut would probably cause the cap to come off and the cigar to begin unraveling.

Thread Information