Thread: Aging cigars

Default Aging cigars

Typically, how long do you age cigars before you smoke them? Does it depend on the cigar or do you have a general rule of thumb?
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

I personally love to taste them over time. But I usually like to let a puchase sit in the humi for 5-7 days before I try one. If I get a 5er or more I like to try and see how the taste changes over time (i.e. monthly). That doesn't always happen when I find a new smoke I really like unless I have the $$$ to buy a box.

Just what works for me, everyone is different.

- Andrew

3. Default

depending on the cigar, I try to let them rest for quite some time. Atleast a few months - for example the Ghurka I smoked the other day I had for about 4 months and it was fantastic, and I think that can be attributed to letting it sit for a long time. Of course some cigars should be aged for...years before they can be properly enjoyed.

Edit: I suppose I should mention that I don't let all my cigars age for months, many milder smokes sit in there for as little as a week before I smoke them, but never a really quality smoke that I expect to have a full/strong body to it.

Initial "resting" of a cigar is usually recommended just to get the cigar to the right moisture content throughout. My rule of thumb is to let them sit in my own humidor for at least a month. Aging a cigar will generally mellow it and help the flavors blend. If you get a cigar with a strong ammonia odor or one that smokes harsh you should be looking at about 3 months minimum. Years of aging usually are done with Cuban cigars as they generally gets smoother and more flavorful (less harsh.) Cuban cigars have typically been rolled with fairly young leaf, but this seems to be changing and many cigars from the last year or 2 are very enjoyable right OTT.

My feeling is that if a cigar is young or harsh put the rest of them away and forget about them for at least 6 months. Then try it again and see how it is developing. If it is generally smooth and flavorful, then smoke it any time you want. Experimentation is the key.

On your next box purchase, smoke one out of the box, smoke one a few weeks resting in your humi, and smoke another with a few months. See what you think. Note, many factors come into play as you smoke more cigars.

I've had bad experiences smoking a cigar right out of the box (whether from local B&M or shipped to my doorstep), so I try to have it rest in my coolidor or humi for a week or two.

I normally age Full-Bodied cigars. They tend to mellow out and provide the most flavor in the end, but that's just my experience.

Keep in mind, a lot of these cigars have age in them already. Up to you to decide which ones smoke good right away and which ones are worth saving later on.

Andrew

Thread Information