Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: From Niagara Falls

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    I agree with part of this. The activity on this board is extremely limited compared to some. Some of my favorite automotive boards may have 20 moderators. But, they don't have the interactions like CS, only chat. The part I agree with is that a modest level of accountability should (must) be maintained. How can you know until someone is given a chance to participate? I've taken this chance on this board and have been screwed twice. One was your Pryme exchange. Not your fault though, you followed through most respectfully. I enjoy the board and all the members.
    I don't know, something about how Basil said: I am so diggin' it. It's like Mr. C is a bewindtard.
    Basil doesn't know this person and neither do I. So that's why I called Basil out.
    O.K., I'm glad to see that you're not accusing me of being a thief/bad-trader/scumbag as well as a newbie basher any longer, thanks for editing the post. I'll also stand by any/all of my posts on this board. Even the newbie ones where I look pretty stupid and get batted around a bit. You're right, everybody has to learn.

I'll also stand by my treatment of newbies. I have helped more than one, in more ways than one. Just because you, and others, don't see some of that in public posts doesn't mean it isn't, and hasn't, happened. BTW, I've been maintaining the newb sampler thread for over a year......and I have yet to hear of a dissatisfied or neglected newb.

You have, imo, embarked on a crusade that is unnecessary and misguided. And, since you chose this thread as your kick-off point, here is my synopsis of what occurred here:
    1. newb joins
    2. newb gets warmly welcomed
    3. newb asks a blanket "recommendation" question
    4. newb is gently nudged to search around at past posts, i.e. other members posts/reviews/discussions to see what he could glean from them.
    5. newb makes a poorly thought out post, smarting off to ggiese
    6. newb makes another post that says, in essence, that he can't take the time read the posts on this board, which would take him nearly a month. You know, those pesky worthless reviews and stuff that contributing members such as yourself have taken the time and effort to post over the years.
    7. from here we get bewindled and, quite frankly, for me it ceased to be about Mr C so much at that point, and became fun. My long-ass post to MrC, for example, is so full of absurdities and irrelevant mumbo-jumbo as to be ludicrous, i.e over-the-top funny, at least to me.

At this point, it appears that you are attempting to defend all things newblet by engaging in nasty, direct personal attacks on me and basil. The exact behavior you object to when directed at newbies is, when used against established members by you, entirely acceptable. An oft repeated, but still unacceptable, tactic, and one I would have never expected to be authored by you.

Yes I did look back at some of your early posts and they are all too similar to many of the newbies posts today. Everyone has to mature and learn and ask stupid questions along the way. One thing that I have learned by discernment of this paragraph:

Is that (my best guess here)
    There are several siblings in your family and you are the runt.
    You would understand being from an ag background what a runt is?
    I wouldn't be surprised if you drive a F250 Superduty with 4" exhaust and have the
    seat as high as it will go.
    Now I don't know if you're hearing all of this (maybe drilling mud in you ears) but this is all in fun and I can take it or leave it. But some newcomers to the board don't yet understand your shortcomings (get it - short) and might be offended. So go easy on them.

Oh and also, Jamie can speak for himself. I think he would want that.
    With this post, I'd say you crossed the line between misguided self-righteousness and bitter, pointless hypocrisy.
    Last edited by JFellows; 08-07-2009 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    lol. More lying, Dennis - never realized it before, but I seriously doubt if you can "take it or leave it". I'm sure Jamie can speak for himself, and will if he wants too. I'm just speaking for myself - an observation of some ugliness I hadn't noticed before. Must've struck a chord. Besides my shortcomings, the newbs probably won't find much humor in your habit of talking out of both sides of your mouth. But hell, you've gotten away with it this long - they probably won't even notice it. You make me think of the Marlon Brando character in Missouri Breaks.

But you're right about one thing - this is fun.
    I admit, that Marlon Brando analogy is a good one.

Dennis, Dennis, Dennis. I'm not trying to bewindle you here, but I feel compelled to draw you a picture...

I hear you and your holistic outlook for 'Smokers, and even the:

However,

'Smokers is what 'Smokers is - largely because of people like Ted and Jamie. It is not like other cigar boards - and, quite frankly, I'm very grateful for that.

It surely would be nice to just switch off the "noise" and live in Nirvana (as in - have the moderators just shut down offensive posts). But - individuals like Ted and Jamie are as much a moderator as is they are moderated by the others in the community. And in that dynamic - this board works very well.

If Christopher (or any other newb to the board, for that matter) is TRULY interested in what our members consider to be "good" or "bad" - or "cheap" or "expensive" - good places to buy cigars versus places to steer clear of - they will engage themselves in the discussions on this board. They will not seek to pull out what they want in the first 30 posts, and then move on. And if someone works over their scrotum like a pinata at a 5 year olds birthday party for asking for something they should be more thoughtful about? Well - my friend - it's part of the price of being a member here. (BTW - once the scrotum blisters up a bit, the blows don't hurt nearly as bad as when you get the first whack)

...and through that process - you, Ted, Jamie and others have managed to survive and flourish. There are some pretty doggone good members here now that have been challenged and met that challenge. And so - the challenges should go on.

I truly think you're in a quandry with priorities. I sincreely hope you are able to sort them out.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Dennis, Dennis, Dennis. I'm not trying to bewindle you here, but I feel compelled to draw you a picture...

I hear you and your holistic outlook for 'Smokers, and even the:

However,

'Smokers is what 'Smokers is - largely because of people like Ted and Jamie. It is not like other cigar boards - and, quite frankly, I'm very grateful for that.

It surely would be nice to just switch off the "noise" and live in Nirvana (as in - have the moderators just shut down offensive posts). But - individuals like Ted and Jamie are as much a moderator as is they are moderated by the others in the community. And in that dynamic - this board works very well.

If Christopher (or any other newb to the board, for that matter) is TRULY interested in what our members consider to be "good" or "bad" - or "cheap" or "expensive" - good places to buy cigars versus places to steer clear of - they will engage themselves in the discussions on this board. They will not seek to pull out what they want in the first 30 posts, and then move on. And if someone works over their scrotum like a pinata at a 5 year olds birthday party for asking for something they should be more thoughtful about? Well - my friend - it's part of the price of being a member here. (BTW - once the scrotum blisters up a bit, the blows don't hurt nearly as bad as when you get the first whack)

...and through that process - you, Ted, Jamie and others have managed to survive and flourish. There are some pretty doggone good members here now that have been challenged and met that challenge. And so - the challenges should go on.

I truly think you're in a quandry with priorities. I sincreely hope you are able to sort them out.
    Action and a reaction George. You know kinda like the little doctors mallet to check your nerve reaction. Basil's "I'm diggin it" remark caused a knee jerk. This thread was going on and on and the OP had long since vanished. Why don't we have the "Beat a dead horse" smile'?
    I appreciate your explanation although I think I do have a fair understanding of how things work around here. I enjoy and respect the community but I won't hesitate to speak up.

Blog Entries

Always wanna be helpful:

I think your attack on me was baseless and unjustified, and that I am deserving of an apology. I doubt that you will see it that way, so we will just have to agree to disagree I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Always wanna be helpful:

I think your attack on me was baseless and unjustified, and that I am deserving of an apology. I doubt that you will see it that way, so we will just have to agree to disagree I suppose.
    You're right, I don't see it that way. You'll get an apology when hell freezes over. You said I edited the Pryme thing and I said I didn't. Then you all but called me a liar when all you had to do is check the time of the edit and see that it was seconds after the post. Gimme that dead horse thing again.

Blog Entries

You're right, I don't see it that way. You'll get an apology when hell freezes over. You said I edited the Pryme thing and I said I didn't. Then you all but called me a liar when all you had to do is check the time of the edit and see that it was seconds after the post. Gimme that dead horse thing again.
    More like 8 minutes: http://www.cigarsmokers.com/showpost...6&postcount=56
    Perhaps I made a mistake in reading your post, which I did just seconds after you posted it but was unable to reply at that instant. I'm not above making an error, and i must admit that I simply replied to the post and didn't re-read the thread when I was able to log back in later. However, I made no assertion you were a liar in PUBLIC. Your statement that you didn't edit that part of the post was made in PRIVATE. All of your attacks on me have been PUBLIC, with no attempt at private communication.

You've also posted twice in this thread prior to your attack on basil, once offering to moon someone to get the "point across"......then the Angelina Jolie photo. I get the Angelina one not being about the thread, but more funny, but not the first one. Is this more of your double standard?

How about your attack on SMEG? He offended you, and you personally attacked him right off the bat.......more double standard? I don't think I even posted in that thread at all, but I could have and just don't remember it.

Here ya go: do a google search and you can get the image for yourself, this one is in my album so you might not be able to link to it.

I will have difficulty regaining the respect that I once had for you.

Yeah, I've checked back quite a bit and can't really find where I attacked you. What I did find is where you jumped in after my post to Basil. I guess your filling in for Basil? Funny how things get all twisted.

Action and a reaction George. You know kinda like the little doctors mallet to check your nerve reaction. Basil's "I'm diggin it" remark caused a knee jerk. This thread was going on and on and the OP had long since vanished. Why don't we have the "Beat a dead horse" smile'?
    I appreciate your explanation although I think I do have a fair understanding of how things work around here. I enjoy and respect the community but I won't hesitate to speak up.
    I hear the reaction part - but it seems as though it a pretty strong reaction to a very innocuous situation. Similar to kicking the doctor in the face when he checks your reflexes.

I read what Ted wrote - and cracked a smile It seemed to me he was making a play on words, if you ask me. I didn't view it as being at the expense of Mr. C - but more along the lines of expounding on the new concept of "bewindling". Tomatoe - tomahtoe, I suppose.

I'm not sure why the "knee jerk" in this instance - or the clearly obvious smack on Ted and Jamie. But, like the true reasons the doctor does a reflex check, perhaps this is an opporunity to understand why there may be a problem. If it were me - I'd be pretty careful about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Relationships between members on this board solidify our community.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I've checked back quite a bit and can't really find where I attacked you. What I did find is where you jumped in after my post to Basil. I guess your filling in for Basil? Funny how things get all twisted.
    Just like you said about me, and Ted said about me..........Ted can speak for himself, and I have little doubt that he will do so. I'm speaking for myself in my posts, as I am prone to do.

Your post was, just that, a post, made in public, that I felt the need to respond to. If someone had posted a blatant attack on you, and I saw it, I would have responded in the same manner.

It is telling that you avoided responding to my questions regarding your double-standard and instead wish to portray me as imagining your attack on me. You mentioned my name on the Pryme thingy, the problem you had with that, if your private communications with me are to be believed, had nothing to do with me. I did not host or suggest the split iirc, only agreed to trade for a 5er, which was completed satisfactorily by your own admission.

I really don't care to continue this drama, at least the part of it between you and me, positions are clear, and ain't gonna change anytime soon.

I hear the reaction part - but it seems as though it a pretty strong reaction to a very innocuous situation. Similar to kicking the doctor in the face when he checks your reflexes.

I read what Ted wrote - and cracked a smile It seemed to me he was making a play on words, if you ask me. I didn't view it as being at the expense of Mr. C - but more along the lines of expounding on the new concept of "bewindling". Tomatoe - tomahtoe, I suppose.

I'm not sure why the "knee jerk" in this instance - or the clearly obvious smack on Ted and Jamie. But, like the true reasons the doctor does a reflex check, perhaps this is an opporunity to understand why there may be a problem. If it were me - I'd be pretty careful about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Relationships between members on this board solidify our community.
    I agee with most of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Just like you said about me, and Ted said about me..........Ted can speak for himself, and I have little doubt that he will do so. I'm speaking for myself in my posts, as I am prone to do.

Your post was, just that, a post, made in public, that I felt the need to respond to. If someone had posted a blatant attack on you, and I saw it, I would have responded in the same manner.

It is telling that you avoided responding to my questions regarding your double-standard and instead wish to portray me as imagining your attack on me. You mentioned my name on the Pryme thingy, the problem you had with that, if your private communications with me are to be believed, had nothing to do with me. I did not host or suggest the split iirc, only agreed to trade for a 5er, which was completed satisfactorily by your own admission.

I really don't care to continue this drama, at least the part of it between you and me, positions are clear, and ain't gonna change anytime soon.

Never did say I blamed you for the Pryme thing. Yes it was Public but no names, right? Who would know but the 3 of us.

BTW - Mr. C is fast approaching the 7 posts necessary for an early exit. Any bets on whether or not he'll face the challenge??? ...or will he go on to live in CirgarSmokers infamy!

...In any event - I'm going to call this one the "Case of the Bewindler!".

I agee with most of that.
    Hmmm... Interesting....

Where are the sticking point for you? Please share!

BTW - Mr. C is fast approaching the 7 posts necessary for an early exit. Any bets on whether or not he'll face the challenge??? ...or will he go on to live in CirgarSmokers infamy!

...In any event - I'm going to call this one the "Case of the Bewindler!".
    I'm not sure how that works. So if he doesn't have at least 7 posts by a certain time?

The Case of the Bewindler
    ~ggiese~

I dunno Dennis, at the risk of sounding obtuse, I'm just not clear on what your gripe here is. First you imply that I deserve the contempt of the board for being mean to newbs:

I'm not understanding this. Fun is fun and we are all at times the punch line of joke. Basil I think it's time you took your turn. The only time you ever chime in anymore is when someone is on the gallows.

But in the same post, that I deserve this contempt for posting "weak questions at best":

Everyone take a look at one of Basil's first posts.
    Incidentally, when these remarks were posted I had already recovered from a beat down and had begun to establish a reputation here. This a little bit different context than the same questions being asked on day one. But presenting things in context doesn't really suit your agenda, does it? I don't think anyone would have, at the time, hesitated to let me know how weak they thought these comments were had they actually thought so. So I don't guess anyone did. Until this most recent opinion from you. Convenient.

Then you say I'm mean again:

This ball bustin shit has ruffled my feathers and IMO this community could be (is) losing some good members because of shit like this.
    And then stupid, again:

Yes I did look back at some of your early posts and they are all too similar to many of the newbies posts today.
    The hallmark of the con artist is to keep the waters muddied so that others can't see his real agenda. You're quite a piece of work, Dennis. I'll admit you've had me fooled all along.

I don't know, something about how Basil said: I am so diggin' it. It's like Mr. C is a bewindtard. Basil doesn't know this person and neither do I. So that's why I called Basil out.
    lol. Dennis, you have completely missed something in post #51 that has caused you to misconstrue my meaning, and if or when you see it, you're gonna feel at least as stupid as you seem to think I am. But, even not getting it doesn't seem to warrant such an itchy trigger finger. And, you could've gone after others but you come after me over this lameass excuse. Somehow, Dennis, I get the feeling that you haven't finished "calling me out" like you'd like to. There is a bug up your ass and I think we both know what it is - not that I'd ever put words in your mouth. I just wonder if have the nuts to throw it out there. If I'm right, and you do, you're going to feel like an idiot.

[SIZE="2"]Basil's "I'm diggin it" remark caused a knee jerk.
    Dennis, you've given me a little more power over your behavior here than I'm comfortable with. You can have it back. I don't think I'll be taking the blame for your nastiness. Fucking victim.

More double standard bullshit: you seem to be defending a person's right to speak for himself, while accusing me of putting words in another's mouth here:

Oh and also, Jamie can speak for himself. I think he would want that.
    Yet when it suits your agenda, your concern for this right becomes less important than an opportunity to take shots at the very person you ah, seemed to defend earlier.

I admit, that Marlon Brando analogy is a good one.
    Y'know Dennis, I hope you're not taking this comparison as a compliment. It's certainly not meant that way. The movie points up that in a world of outlaws, a drygulcher (and in this instance, one who is employed by a man who believes that the end justifies any means) is the lowest of scum. Which is why the last thing that ever woke Clayton up was the sound of his own throat being cut.

I don't think I deserve anything from you, nor do I want anything either. However, one of the things that surprises me here is the fact that we've exchanged friendly PM's before, we've even extended mutual invitations to get together, either here or in San Marcos. If you are so unhappy with me, then why no head's up before you jump ugly? It's cool, that's a rhetorical question; maybe we both already know why.

I really don't give a fuck about your reasons for you asinine, lying, double standard, condescending bullshit. I do want to point out that this board has a dynamic and atmosphere that is respected among other boards and protected from viral troll bullshit. Go take a look at how things have gotten out of hand at CP - maybe you'd like it better over there. Well, some newbs with fucking sense-of-entitlement attitudes are going to get canned along the way. And thin-skinned newbs are going to get fucked over. So goddamn what? Collateral damage. I like it here, and if you can't be honest with us, then you have to admit to yourself you like it too. Or maybe you're just too chickenshit. At any rate, you enjoy the benefits of this board. And for that, you do owe not only Jamie and myself apologies, you owe the entire board one as well. You're out of line, you're full of shit, and you're true colors don't blend in so well here anymore.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

"I really don't give a fuck about your reasons for you asinine, lying, double standard, condescending bullshit."

You could have saved a lot of time by just posting you summary.

I'm not sure how that works. So if he doesn't have at least 7 posts by a certain time?

The Case of the Bewindler
    ~ggiese~
    Oh, Dennis... Please - don't pretend to be so clueless. I think you are much better than that.

But - then again - perhaps I am wrong. Maybe you are that clueless, and all along I've been giving you much more credit than you deserve?

I think you understand where everyone is coming from. And - quite frankly - I believe you come from there as well. I don't understand your attraction to this forum if you're so unhappy with the way things are done.

...or perhaps you'd really, truly like to see things change? Perhaps you're not so satisfied with the dynamics of this forum and now is the time for a "revolution"?

If that's the case - I can't wait to see how this is all going to pan out for you...

Oh, Dennis... Please - don't pretend to be so clueless. I think you are much better than that.

But - then again - perhaps I am wrong. Maybe you are that clueless, and all along I've been giving you much more credit than you deserve?

I think you understand where everyone is coming from. And - quite frankly - I believe you come from there as well. I don't understand your attraction to this forum if you're so unhappy with the way things are done.

...or perhaps you'd really, truly like to see things change? Perhaps you're not so satisfied with the dynamics of this forum and now is the time for a "revolution"?

If that's the case - I can't wait to see how this is all going to pan out for you...
    That's the kind of answer I get? No, I don't have a clue about the 7 posts thing.

Thread Information