Thread: Wrapper Split

Default Wrapper Split

Hi All,

I've searched wrapper splits, and it seems like most of the problems occur while smoking in a low RH environments. ie, light up 65-70% rh cigar, it swells (from the shock of drastic rh enviro/or steam), and pop/rip/explode, there goes the wrapper. Dry boxing seems to fix this issue.

However, 4 of my Gurkha Castle Hall Habano Toro Gordos out of 20 developed split wrappers while in the humidor. My humi is at 70-72% rh, and from what I'm reading, the wrapper splits because the cigar drys from outside in. while i think 70-72 is moist, for that to be considered dry would mean the vendor kept the cigars in a much moister environ? any suggestions on why this is happening? or is the humi too moist, and it's swelling the cigars causing the wrapper to split? I want to make sure I avoid this.

I got the cigars from CBID a week ago, and these are the only ones giving me splitting problems.

I've put some honey on the splits, but 2 of the 4 cigar has some serious splits at the cap. I think i'll smoke it and see what happens.

thanks
    Last edited by cigar547; 07-24-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Thread Information