Thread: Watchmen

Thumbs up Watchmen

I picked up Watchmen yesterday on Blu-Ray. After spending an hour hooking up my surround sound and getting the stupid Blu-Ray player to actually play in surround sound, I was able to watch it. I saw it in the theater when it came out and the Blu-Ray was the director's cut so it had extra scenes. Maybe it was because I watched it quite a few weeks ago, but I couldn't pick out too many scenes that were added.

This is a very good movie. I'm glad I picked it up and plan on watching it again this weekend. Rorschach has to be the coolest character ever. The Comedian was pretty badass, too (I remember seeing a member of the board having an avatar of the Comedian lighting up a cigar with a flamethrower). I like how it humanized super heroes and showed an alternate past.

I recommend buying/renting this movie if you are in to comic book action movies.

(Be warned that there is a lot of blue male frontal nudity in the movie)
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

I had just watched this movie yesterday. I loved it! And yes, Rorschach is bad-ass, the graphics were supreme - especially w/ the action/killing scenes, and most importantly, The Comedian is one cigar man as well.

I enjoyed watching it, and was happy that it was a long movie!

Great movie! Watched it with friends who weren't comic-savy, and had to explain everything to them, then go back and rewatch it!

Hmm, I had heard it sucked, but I'm wondering if that was from folks who aren't comic fans. I've got it coming soon on Netflix, I shall report back on what I think afterward.
    I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

Had 2 comic fans that I know both tell me it sucked. Have not watched it myself but I can't forsee doing so in the near future.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

The movie does not follow the original comic series (later re-printed as a graphic novel). Especially in the ending (most important part imho). That being said, movie wasn't bad, could have used a few more scenes of Silk Stockings and a few less of Dr. Manhattan w/o pants . YMMV.
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

One of these days I'm going to learn to totally disassociate the book/comic from the movie they make out of it. Fortunately, I haven't read that series so I shan't have that problem with Watchmen.
    Mark Twain

Yeah I need to learn that trick as well. For me the nagging little details that don't match I could care less about. Its when the entire meaning of the story makes a 180 that I get left with a sour taste in my mouth.
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

From what I heard from people that have read the graphic novel (I bought the darned thing but it got lost in a move and I can't find it so I never got to read it), the ending is different but the plot device is still the same. I think fanboys get bent out of shape when things are different than the originals. Sometimes it seems they forget that its hard to translate everything in to a 2-2.5 hour movie. Some things are just going to get left out.

Just from a pure cinematic standpoint I really enjoyed the movie. I know I'll end up watching it quite a few times. I still want to read the novel, though, just so I can see why people are bent out of shape over the ending.

I read the book and saw the movie. I'll probably read the book again, but I don't think I'll be watching the movie a second time - it just had the feel of a big mind continuously being sidetracked by small details that resulted in mediocrity.

I really, really liked the movie version of Moore's V for Vendetta, and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was pretty good. Haven't read the comics for them though. Watchmen was new to me until the film was being hyped. At the time these were being written, I was way into Heavy Metal magazine, with Tex Arcana as one of my favorite serials. Was disappointed in the '81 Heavy Metal movie too. Cool soundtrack though.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

I thought the movie was pretty damn good, but, I've never read the comic. The beginnning of the movie I thought was phenomenal. The intro grabbed your attention.
    All my ex's live in Texas.

I tried to watch it over the weekend -- fell asleep 3 times -- still haven't finished it. The movie looks good and I was interested in seeing where things were going -- but it was so damn slow and boring...

Quote Originally Posted by EGQ View Post
    I tried to watch it over the weekend -- fell asleep 3 times -- still haven't finished it. The movie looks good and I was interested in seeing where things were going -- but it was so damn slow and boring...
    Yeah, I could see that happening. It definitely picks up once Rorschach gets thrown in jail.

I finally got around to watching it. Overall I really enjoyed it, though it did really drag on in parts. I wholeheartedly agree with Factoredreality about the more Silk and less nekked Manhattan.
    Mark Twain

Thread Information