Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Div I Football

Blog Entries

Default NCAA Div I Football

Let's try this.

Who's your team this year? And why?

For me, it is, and always will be, the Ohio State Buckeyes. Nothing's better than Big Ten football. Haters are more than welcome - I've been a Buckeye longer than I can remember, having been born in University Hospital, and I have an autographed photo with Woody Hayes holding me when I was like 3 years old.

It does look like we'll be seeing more SEC football than ever imagined - within the SEC, I'm a Razorback, all the way.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Penn State, baby. I grew up watching Penn State football. I graduated from Penn State. And now I currently work at Penn State. Long live JoePa.
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Let's try this.

Who's your team this year? And why?

For me, it is, and always will be, the Ohio State Buckeyes. Nothing's better than Big Ten football. Haters are more than welcome - I've been a Buckeye longer than I can remember, having been born in University Hospital, and I have an autographed photo with Woody Hayes holding me when I was like 3 years old.

It does look like we'll be seeing more SEC football than ever imagined - within the SEC, I'm a Razorback, all the way.

i couldn't agree more with Ohio State. Loved since I was 10. My dad always loved them also and I would watch the games with him. I'm not the bandwagon guy either because if you read my post about this upcoming NFL season, I am in fact a hardcore Detroit Lions fan. maybe we can win one game this year.

Ohio State has a chance to go to the National Championship year in and year out. The only thing that hurts them somewhat is that there is no Big 10 conference championship playoff. So if they lose one game, it usually costs them a shot at playing for a national championship.

I won't even get started on the BCS. It's the worst thing in sports. Far worse than the XFL. what the hell were they thinking

Blog Entries

Right there with you on the Buckeyes. How many painful Cooper games did I have to sit through, with that absolutely worthless AD in his pocket? I was so stoked when they signed Tressel.

I can't stand Michigan, but for the sake of Big Ten football, I really hope Rodriguez succeeds there. I really didn't mind Lloyd Carr - I thought he lacked a little confidence to lead such a big team. I also really liked Bo Schembechler - it was just such a good rivalry. Now that Lloyd's gone, can RichRod fill those enormous shoes? Let's hope he can.

In the meantime, I hope Penn State milks this JoePa thing as long as they possibly can. Happy Valley needs to do ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING to keep that man alive. Hook him up to hoses, prop him up, anything at all. Michigan State can be a contender as well. As far as the other teams go, well, I think Wisconsin has the potential to be a great team, as does Purdue. Neither team is very consistent, though.

Overall, I don't think it's the lack of a conference game that keeps them down. I think they need to keep playing teams outside their conference (Bravo on the USC games, Gene Smith & Co). They need another potential contender to step forward and be consistent. It used to always be Michigan. It will take a little while for a new team to establish themselves in this role.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

i think Iowa is the sleeper team this season.

this saved the season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9017_xA5tn8

Brigham Young University. I fell in love with their style of playing as a kid watching the original "west coast offense" Mr. Walsh stole from Lavelle Edwards with QBs like Steve Young, Robbie Bosco and Jim McMahon. I picked this team at 6 or 7 years old before I even knew what a Mormon was. It is pretty funny in this state when the Utes fans make the rivalry with BYU out to be some sort of holy war. I shoot that right down due to the fact the Brigham Young founded both Universities- U of U being the first of the two...

As you can imagine, I am not a big fan of the BCS system. Utah or BYU could go toe to toe with the big conference teams; especially at home. Their non-conference records and teams beat over the years back that up...
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

...Happy Valley needs to do ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING to keep that man alive. Hook him up to hoses, prop him up, anything at all. ...
    Aren't they doing that already? Some say he died a few years ago but through the miracles of science he's still able to coach.
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

My team is and always will be the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame! I think they're gonna surprise people, they have a lot of young talent this coming up season.
    All my ex's live in Texas.

i think notre dame has a really good chance at winning 10 games, especially some young talent at key positions. however, not being in a confrence hurts them at times. they don't really have a steady rivalry year in and year out like ohion state vs. michigan. ND hasn't been the same since brady quinn left. i hope he gets a chance to play more than 10 plays in one game this season!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuma787 View Post
    My team is and always will be the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame!
    +1
    I remember watching Notre Dame football with my Grandfather when I was younger and have always cheered for the Irish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SMEG View Post
    i think notre dame has a really good chance at winning 10 games, especially some young talent at key positions. however, not being in a confrence hurts them at times. they don't really have a steady rivalry year in and year out like ohion state vs. michigan. ND hasn't been the same since brady quinn left. i hope he gets a chance to play more than 10 plays in one game this season!!
    WINNING 10 GAMES?

Notre Dame 2009 Football Schedule:
    Sept. 5 NEVADA
    Sept. 12 at Michigan
    Sept. 19 MICHIGAN STATE
    Sept. 26 at Purdue
    Oct. 3 WASHINGTON
    Oct. 10 Open Date
    Oct. 17 USC
    Oct. 24 BOSTON COLLEGE
    Oct. 31 vs. Washington State (at San Antonio, Texas)
    Nov. 7 NAVY
    Nov. 14 at Pittsburgh
    Nov. 21 CONNECTICUT
    Nov. 28 at Stanford

In WHICH games do you think your Irish will triumph? They might win their game against Washington, if you want to count (I think you should) their Open Date as a forfeit + win that's one, and then maybe they'll beat Pitt or Conn. But seeing that you're from Conn, I doubt you favor that scenario.

I can't stand the Irish. Everything about them drives me nuts. How long can you hold on to a legacy that's long gone and forgotten?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I disagree with you on a couple of points... Notre Dame has several rivalries; Michigan (ND's been playing Michigan longer than Ohio St. has), Boston College, Stanford, Michigan St., Purdue, Army, Navy, USC and Washington. We have the rivalries, we just don't have the benefit of a conference championship.

I agree with you on the Brady Quinn note. I hope he starts and gets in a groove and gets the Browns a decent season. I think Manginius will really help Brady's game.
    Last edited by Fuma787; 07-29-2009 at 01:54 PM.

WINNING 10 GAMES?

Sept. 5 NEVADA
    Sept. 12 at Michigan
    Sept. 19 MICHIGAN STATE
    Sept. 26 at Purdue
    Oct. 3 WASHINGTON
    Oct. 10 Open Date
    Oct. 17 USC
    Oct. 24 BOSTON COLLEGE
    Nov. 7 NAVY
    Nov. 14 at Pittsburgh
    Nov. 21 CONNECTICUT
    Nov. 28 at Stanford

In WHICH games do you think your Irish will triumph? They might win their game against Washington, if you want to count (I think you should) their Open Date as a forfeit + win that's one, and then maybe they'll beat Pitt or Conn. But seeing that you're from Conn, I doubt you favor that scenario.

I can't stand the Irish. Everything about them drives me nuts. How long can you hold on to a legacy that's long gone and forgotten?

I think they could win 10 games. I think they'll probably win 8, but they COULD win 10.

I mean let's say they'll beat Nevada.
    Then they play a Mich. team that is really questionable.
    Then they play Mich St. at home, a team that hasn't been very good for a while.
    Then they play Purdue, who is never a very impressive club and is a big rivalry.
    Then they play Washington who has looked very poorly these last couple of years.
    They'll probably lose to USC.
    They can beat BC.
    Washinton St. is hurting for talent right now.
    Navy will probably be a win.
    Pitt will be tough, but their running game is not what it was a year ago.
    UCONN is an okay team.
    Stanford just lost a lot of talent from the club they had last year that beat some good teams.

So you never know!

I disagree with you on a couple of points... Notre Dame has several rivalries; Michigan (ND's been playing Michigan longer than Ohio St. has)

i don't think so. Michigan leads 20-15-1. michigan leads ohio state 57-41-6. michigan and ohio state is one of the oldest college football rivalries to date

WINNING 10 GAMES?

Sept. 5 NEVADA
    Sept. 12 at Michigan
    Sept. 19 MICHIGAN STATE
    Sept. 26 at Purdue
    Oct. 3 WASHINGTON
    Oct. 10 Open Date
    Oct. 17 USC
    Oct. 24 BOSTON COLLEGE
    Nov. 7 NAVY
    Nov. 14 at Pittsburgh
    Nov. 21 CONNECTICUT
    Nov. 28 at Stanford

believe me, i hate the irish too. OVER RATED!!! aside from USC i think their schedule is full of creampuffs. for the record i hate uconn athletics also, even through i'm from CT. but lets see, Boston College has no Matt Ryan, Uconn just lost arguably thier best offensive player ever to the NFL. Stanford is shaky. I will give them more credit because that game comes after a tough pac-10 schedule. both washington schools aren't that great anymore. USC is a definate loss. all others are beatable. maybe michigan can get back bo shembeckler, desmond howard and tom brady. then they might have a chance

University of Colorado Buffaloes! Its were I went to school, and the only college team that I have ever rooted for, well them and who ever is playing Nebraska and Texas. Unfortunately, its rather difficult to watch them out on the east coast unless they are playing a good team.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

17. Default

Alabama need I say more?

Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    Alabama need I say more?
    Yes, you need to say more. You need to apologize for posting such filth on this fine forum...

WAR EAGLE!

i don't think so. Michigan leads 20-15-1. michigan leads ohio state 57-41-6. michigan and ohio state is one of the oldest college football rivalries to date
    I didn't know we were talking "longest" rivalry, I thought we were saying oldest. ND's been playing Michigan since 1887, Ohio St.'s been playing Mich. since 1897.

Blog Entries

I think they could win 10 games. I think they'll probably win 8, but they COULD win 10.

I mean let's say they'll beat Nevada. You can SAY that - but Nevada only lost by a touchdown to a strong Boise St. team late in the season last year. I don't know if any of last year's energy can spill over into this year or not. First games of the season are always a big surprise. Agreed.
    Then they play a Mich. team that is really questionable. Agreed - RichRod needs to do something THIS YEAR. As empty-headed as Wolverine fans are, they won't stand for another year like last year. I can't believe I'm pulling for the Irish here, but I do think they can take Michigan here.
    Then they play Mich St. at home, a team that hasn't been very good for a while. Do you really think so? I probably disagree with this statement the most. They were third in the Big 10 last year, only losing to Ohio St., Penn St., and a strong Cal team.
    Then they play Purdue, who is never a very impressive club and is a big rivalry. Agreed - even though the Boilermakers will be looking to avenge last year's loss, they don't have any oomph this year. Or last year. Next year doesn't look that great, either. There was a time, though...
    Then they play Washington who has looked very poorly these last couple of years. Agreed.
    They'll probably lose to USC. Agreed
    They can beat BC. Based on what? They blanked ND last year at home. With the team huddling around Herzlich this year - I don't think ND can pull it off. Disagreed.
    Washinton St. is hurting for talent right now. Yes, they are. But hurting so bad as to not beat ND? I don't know. They have a good, young squad, and a very enthusiastic coach. Agreed - reluctantly.
    Navy will probably be a win. I don't think so. The midshipmen will want revenge from last year. They are a consistent team, always churning out about the same product. But they are playing in South Bend, so we will see. Disagreed.
    Pitt will be tough, but their running game is not what it was a year ago. I think their running game is the least of their worries right now. They have leadership issues on that team right now. HOWEVER, it's late in the season, and the seniors won't forget last year's Sun Bowl. Disagreed.
    UCONN is an okay team. Probably the only game of ND's I'd care to watch. What is going to happen? Agreed?
    Stanford just lost a lot of talent from the club they had last year that beat some good teams. I don't know. They always get buried under their fellow Pac-10-ians. Then every once in a while, they kick some ass. I'm interested in seeing what this new QB they have is going to do. Disagreed.

So you never know!
    I'm still skeptical. A couple of things:
    Unlike any other coach in Division I ball, Weiss is on the hot seat; he knows that not only will he need to perform to keep his job, but Notre Dame doesn't want to start all over again with a new coach and more losing seasons. Sure, it doesn't have anything to do with how the players play, but it's still a factor. I think they'll fall flat. Anything less than a BCS birth and he'll be out. The fact that they don't play in a conference hurts them tremendously, as well. And, their schedule is tired. They need to throw in relevant teams to be considered a relevant contender - someone from the SEC, WAC, or MWC.

I don't know. The whole thing stinks.

Just my opinion, by the way, don't take it personal.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Thread Information