Thread: Cigar lighting help

1. Default Cigar lighting help

As you can tell, I'm new to cigars. I've only smoked 4 or 5 in my lifetime, and I'm having problems lighting them. I follow the proper protocol (toasting it, not letting the flame touch it, turning the cigar as i light it) but I always wind up with an uneven burn and the cigar burns through too quickly. Any tips? Is it simply a matter of practice?

Rotate the cigar as you smoke. When resting your cigar, put the slow burning side on the bottom so it will get more oxygen so it will help even out. Don't smoke the cigar too quickly.

Is it with one particular cigar brand or with all the cigars you smoke?
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

3. Default

I should also add that it seems too hot when I smoke. The cigar I've smoked most is a romeo no. 2.

To me, and I'm still a newb as well, that means you are smoking too fast. The rule of thumb is about a minute between each draw on the cigar. It should be cool, not hot.

Hopefully others will chime in with more experience and opinions.
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

Blog Entries

Yeah... slow down a bit and it will cool off.

If you haven't already, go to Wal-Mart and find a Ronson Jet-Lite lighter or any torch style lighter. They make lighting a LOT easier.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post

If you haven't already, go to Wal-Mart and find a Ronson Jet-Lite lighter or any torch style lighter. They make lighting a LOT easier.

Haha, I've actually been using a Ronson Jet-Lite.

The advice on slowing down makes perfect sense, I take way more than one draw per minute.

As far as the uneven burn though, maybe I'm just holding the cigar too close to the flame when I light it?

8. Default

Thanks for that link, it's a lot better than the vids I found on youtube. I think I'll get a few cheap cigars to make sure I've got it down right before I ruin anymore good ones.

9. Default

Thanks for that video. I really enjoyed it!

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Great link Cinda, thanks.

Ramy, I've found that even with a perfect light, smoking too fast can knock the burn out of whack, in addition to smoking too hot.

I'm assuming your humidity is OK?? Let's assume you're keeping it above 70%. It's wet and hard to keep lit, hence the tendency to smoke faster. The combination of the moisture in the cigar with the speed you have to draw to keep it lit (again, even with a perfect light) will cause it to never burn right.

As for the light, I use a small single flame torch and gently toast the foot of the cigar 'till it's glowing red all around. Be careful how much heat you put to it and where. I never burn it close to the edge until I use the match for the final light. It doesn't take as long as the video where he uses 3 matches, but I do take longer than most people I think. But a few extra seconds at the start will pay off big time in the enjoyment of a cigar.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post

I like the way the Jet-Lites run out of fuel. There's no sputtering, half-assed flame, yellow flame or like some, that up-and-down flicker. They just stop. No question about that, Time to refill.

12. Default

Great link!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prophetnoir View Post
    Great link!
    Welcome to the board.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=cinda;135189]http://link.brightcove.com/services/...tid=1315783144[/QUOTE

Thanks Cinda. I found that video very interesting. I had not seen that method used before.

I recently enjoyed an RyJ #2 and found it to burn unevenly and hot (I do take a puff more often than I "should," but that's what I want to do). This might just be a characteristic of your favorite stick.

And I wish I could buy those here, that was a fantastic smoke.

Default Not easy

Ive been having trouble lighting my cigars as well. The match method proves to be the hardest for me since i have to manipulate the cigar and blow at the same time while trying to light it. My colibri sucks. My ronson jet light should be coming soon in the mail. Hopefully this will be the help i need.
    Why must i settle for just comfortable?
    I have one life to live.
    And i want to be wealthy!
    No reason i shouldnt want to be.

You have a Colibri and you think it sucks because you can't light up a cigar with it?

I have a Colibri that I got as a freebie from Cigar International and have had zero issues with it lighting some fantastic cigars like RP's Vintage 90 and Decade, Camacho Pre-Embargo 62's, Padron 80th, and a few from Gurkha's line.

Perhaps this is an end user interface issue and it requires a firmware upgrade.

Kris

18. Default

another thanks!

GReat link...I just spent hte last hour watching various videos!

Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. - Clarence Darrow

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

i also had lighting problems when i first started, i found that my main problem was the lighter i was using... i started using a typical cheap lighter but once i switched to a butane my problems were solved... by far the best investment ive made... also i prefer larger ring gauges and found that having a butane with 2 instead of 1 flame has worked better for me...

This is my current lighter:

http://www.elighters.com/l2730.html

Thread Information