Thread: My first review.

Default My first review.

Oliva Serie O Maduro Robusto
    Size: 5x50
    Country of Origin: Nicaragua
    Music: MC Frontalot
    Drink: Coca Cola

Smoked outside, there was a light breeze.

Construction was very nice, the wrapper dark and with veins that were not too prominent. I was disappointed to find a small hole marring the wrapper, but it didn't seem to effect things much.
    I used my bullet punch and the draw was just right, not too tight or loose.

First third: Slightly sweet, with lots of spice and hints of cocoa. The burn was a little wavy, but didn't get out of hand. Further in, the spiciness became more pronounced, and the sweetness began to fade. Single puffs produced very acceptable amounts of smoke. The ash was light gray, and sort of scaly/flaky, and held on for a bit over an inch.

Second third: The spice has faded and I was starting to pick up hints of leather and cedar along with the cocoa. The burn is still wavy, but so far auto-correcting. After a while the sweetness was back, and the wood and leather tastes are growing stronger, with the cocoa predominating. About halfway through this portion, the wind picked up a bit and I had to do some touch-ups with the torch. Nose exhales give a mild, lingering burn.

Final third: Inexplicably, the cigar went out between one puff and the next. It was smoking just great, then, after no more than a minute's pause, nothing. Either that or my brain just kinda stroked off there for a while and it was a lot longer pause than I realized. On the plus side, the re-light didn't throw the flavor off as sometimes happens. Speaking of flavor, for the rest of the cigar, I most strongly tasted the leather, wood, and cocoa.

Overall impression: As usual, Oliva does not disappoint. The Serie O Robusto is a very well made, extremely flavorful, delightful cigar that I would not hesitate to smoke again.
    I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

Nice review, thanks!
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.”
    - George Burns

“I have to laugh when I think of the first cigar, because it was probably just a bunch of rolled up tobacco leaves”
    - Jack Handy

Blog Entries

Nice review!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Nice review! I'm a fan of Oliva as well.
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

Nice review, I had one of these for the first time the other night, and I was wowed. your call on the flavors was spot on from what I got from it, and I noticed that the light was a little "off" too, but not a problem. I did smoke mine in my garage, so i didn't have the wind to contend with, and afterwards, I had a very nice aroma in the garage.

Keith

Great review! I am going through the review threads, making a list of sticks to try if/when I run across them. I am a big fan of Robustos.

Thanks,

Steve

Blog Entries

Nice review. Oliva makes some pretty good smokes throughout their lines. Explore their other offerings, some goodies to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Nice review. Oliva makes some pretty good smokes throughout their lines. Explore their other offerings, some goodies to be found.
    +1 to everything Jamie said.

Blog Entries

Very nice review. Thank you.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

I enjoyed your review. Thanks
    Just another day at the office!

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. I chalk up the burn problems to only a couple days settling down in the humi, as I'm the impatient type and have been really wanting to try that particular cigar for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Indeed. I've only tried a few so far, and look forward to what's in store. I have a feeling I'm going to be devoting a good bit of humidor space to their products.
    I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

Thread Information