Thread: Cigarhandbook.com ripped off

Blog Entries

Default Cigarhandbook.com ripped off

Some guy ripped my site, www.cigarhandbook.com and made an app for that. He's selling it in the iPhone app store for .99. Cute.

http://appbeacon.com/apps/032005/cigar-handbook-for-cigar-lovers
    http://www.dashtechonline.com/dashapps.html

I sent him a nice cease and desist email, I really don't like blatant thieves.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Got an address for this douchbag? We can pay him a visit!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Wow, they even copied your text word for word. Let us know how this pans out.
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

Blog Entries

He actually replied right away this morning and claimed he got the text from Wikipedia.

I did a couple of quick google searches:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Ma...US309&filter=0

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Th...US309&filter=0

I did find a couple of other copy cat sites, some of them do mention cigarhandbook.com, others dont. Nothing in Wikipedia. What I don't like is that someone is actually charging for my content with out permission.

Thankfully the internet archive shows the site was first published in April of 2004: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://cigarhandbook.com
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

There's some money to be made with those apps. Doesn't sound like much - but if the app sells even reasonably well, there could be thousands of dollars at stake. No sense in someone else profiting from your work...

You should talk with Moki (Andrew Welch). I believe he is the best person to talk to about
    retaining rights around intellectual property, and possible follow up recourse. You can find him on CigarPass, CigarFamily and CigarSnobs. I'm nore sure about timeframes, but I believe you should act quickly - because if it's unchecked it could become public domain or someone else could lay claim to it.

Blog Entries

I spoke with the author of the application and he has assured me the content will be changed in the next couple of days. Sounds like I need to learn more about the iphone sdk

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    I spoke with the author of the application and he has assured me the content will be changed in the next couple of days. Sounds like I need to learn more about the iphone sdk
    You could also contact Apple themselves, they're pretty good about revoking apps that violate copyright, etc, from what I've heard.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
    You could also contact Apple themselves, they're pretty good about revoking apps that violate copyright, etc, from what I've heard.
    Yep I've heard the same thing - they're quick to pull in apps, but just as quick to shut them down if there's any legal issue with 'em.

Miguel - if you can come up with any kind of app that does anything - it's WELL worth it to develop. $99 to buy the development kit. It's so simple a kid can do it. And I believe the developer is paid 40% of the total take... at .99, that's .40 per app sold. Can build up very quickly, if it's something that is desirable and goes viral...

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    And I believe the developer is paid 40% of the total take... at .99, that's .40 per app sold. Can build up very quickly, if it's something that is desirable and goes viral...

I've also heard a lot of people give their apps away in the begining trying to build up a name for themselvs. Apple has been known to pick up developers that way.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.”
    - George Burns

“I have to laugh when I think of the first cigar, because it was probably just a bunch of rolled up tobacco leaves”
    - Jack Handy

Blog Entries

I think the main obstacle right now would be my lack of a mac. I was looking into some vmware virtualization that would let me run OS X on my laptop, but it seems a little complicated. I write software for a living, I doubt its much different then the stuff I do on a daily basis.

Blog Entries

If they keep this up, show up at his door wearing a skin hat. Nobody messes with a man wearing a skin hat.

Thread Information