Thread: Lump Charcoal

Blog Entries

Default Lump Charcoal

Do anybody else use lump charcoal to grill? If so, what kind do you use, and where do you get it from?

I started using "Cowboy brand" that comes from the local Lowes / Home Despite, or the local grocery store.

However, before that I was looking into it, and I saw places online where you could virtually get whole pallets of different kinds. Some claimed to produce different flavors based on the wood it was charred from.

I think this cowboy brand is just regular assorted hardwood scraps from wherever.

Will

PS Edit: I was poking around this site earlier
    Last edited by badwhale; 08-21-2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: add a link
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

I use a mix of Kingsford Mesquite chunk and original briquettes.

I find the chunk burns a bit hot by itself.

I also use Jack Daniels chips for some added smoke.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

I'm a big fan of using lump charcoal too. My go to brand has always been Royal Oak in the red bag. I can usually find it Lowes and occasionaly at the local wally world.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.”
    - George Burns

“I have to laugh when I think of the first cigar, because it was probably just a bunch of rolled up tobacco leaves”
    - Jack Handy

mostly use gas but did use some cowboy a couple of times this summer. I wouldn't mind trying some different woods, maybe something with more spice for steak and/or sweetness for chix or lamb.

Those cigars from a couple of years ago named for jazz musicians, from down south somewhere, were beech wood aged. From what I remember it offered a bit of sweetness. I bet that stuff would be good with lamb.

Blog Entries

I don't know the brand, but I use the stuff from Home Depot. It burns clean and lights fairly easily. I also like to use the large chunks of hickory they sell. They are usually displayed near each other. I don't really care for briquettes.

I think they use trimmings from a furniture place or something similar, as some of the pieces I have got have been very "regular" shaped, ie, they look like cut off ends of something.

Thread Information