I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I've seen some drink related discussions here.

I'm relatively young, in my last year of college. I'm not a huge drinker but I think that's only because I haven't found a good drink yet. The same can be said for my cigar smoking. Anyways, I've recently delved into finding that perfect drink for me. After reading this article about pairing bourbon with certain cigars, I decided to try the Four Roses single barrel bourbon. I have to say that I was surprisingly pleased with what I found. I found it to be somewhat sweet compared to the limited array of other bourbons I have tried, but I really couldn't drink much of it straight. I tried mixing some with soda but I think that ruined the flavor of the bourbon.

So now I am searching for a drink that I really enjoy. One that I can drink on the rocks without being overcome by that poignant alcohol taste. But also one that I wouldn't be embarrassed to order in a bar or out with friends. What I'm looking for is a drink that falls on the sweeter side, much like the light-bodied Four Roses, or even more-so. I was thinking about getting into Scotch to see if I would find anything to my liking, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm rather inexperienced when it comes to drinks like bourbon, scotch, brandy, rye, etc.

Do you all have any advice for a spirits newbie looking for a mild, sweet whiskey or similar?