Thread: A "Newbie's" First Smoke

Default A "Newbie's" First Smoke

So I purchased a Torano Robusto recently..
    Finally, today, being a rare cool morning in Louisiana (especially in August) I decided to give it a try.

First impression: "Wow, maybe this cigar hobby just isn't for me, pass..?"
    Trying to be a "troooer".. I decided to hang in there to see if it gets better. I'm glad I did.

I picked up on a "spicy" taste that I wasn't completely fond of. This I credit to my pallet not being used to the tobacco. I decided, being the coffee fanatic I am, that "Hey this thing would probably go great with a cup of java." So I made a pot, and wow. I enjoyed the cigar so much more with a cup of coffee at hand. Again, I credit that to my "unexperienced" pallet.

I'm sure I didn't make a great light on the cigar, even after watching various videos recommended on here, and reading methods of lighting as well. I'm hoping that will come with more experience. So there was a bit of an uneven burn on it, I cannot blame on the cigar. I also noticed a nice, crisp colored white ash.

Sorry for the rambling, I wanted to discuss my first experience. I figured this was the place to do it.
    Kudos guys. :)

Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnRemedy View Post
    So I purchased a Torano Robusto recently..
    Finally, today, being a rare cool morning in Louisiana (especially in August) I decided to give it a try.

First impression: "Wow, maybe this cigar hobby just isn't for me, pass..?"
    Trying to be a "troooer".. I decided to hang in there to see if it gets better. I'm glad I did.

I picked up on a "spicy" taste that I wasn't completely fond of. This I credit to my pallet not being used to the tobacco. I decided, being the coffee fanatic I am, that "Hey this thing would probably go great with a cup of java." So I made a pot, and wow. I enjoyed the cigar so much more with a cup of coffee at hand. Again, I credit that to my "unexperienced" pallet.

I'm sure I didn't make a great light on the cigar, even after watching various videos recommended on here, and reading methods of lighting as well. I'm hoping that will come with more experience. So there was a bit of an uneven burn on it, I cannot blame on the cigar. I also noticed a nice, crisp colored white ash.

Sorry for the rambling, I wanted to discuss my first experience. I figured this was the place to do it.
    Kudos guys. :)
    I'm glad you finally got over the "dry socket" phase and got to smoke that cigar... and I'm really glad you decided not to pursue the "grammar police" theme in another thread.

You're right... your palate will change. Don't know which Torano you had, but manufacturers can produce many lines and many sizes of each line. Don't be fooled into thinking that they are all the same. Even cigars of the same line in different sizes can be totally different. Experiment and have fun.

Oh yeah, one other thing that is just a personal "nails down the chalkboard" type peeve (we all have at least one) and I see lots of folks here get confused by it, so I'm not singling you out. It's just that the opportunity arose here.

There are 3 different spellings for what is pronounced "palate."

Palate - The roof of your mouth, usually associated with taste and the one mostly used here.

Palette - That thing that artists use to mix colors. I guess this might be used to when talking about taste as you are "mixing" flavors, but to me it's kind of a stretch.

Pallet - That wooden thing that goes under a forklift.

Welcome.

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated.
    I wasn't sure about the spelling of the "palate", so thanks for clearing that up. I'll just ignore the fact that you did it in a rather cocky way. :)

Seriously though, the "correcting other people's grammar" thing that you have going on.. don't you think it's a bit much? ;P Just saying, anyone can pick apart someone else's sentence structures and tell them the right way to go about it. Is it completely necessary though? :P

Again though, thanks for the palate correction. You're allowed to feel good about that. haha.

I wasn't sure about the spelling of the "palate", so thanks for clearing that up. I'll just ignore the fact that you did it in a rather cocky way. :)

Seriously though, the "correcting other people's grammar" thing that you have going on.. don't you think it's a bit much? ;P Just saying, anyone can pick apart someone else's sentence structures and tell them the right way to go about it. Is it completely necessary though? :P

Again though, thanks for the palate correction. You're allowed to feel good about that. haha.
    Cocky? - Please explain.

And no... correcting people's grammar is quite acceptable. Many here dislike reading posts written by those who are too lazy to compose them in a reasonable fashion.
    Last edited by Shelby07; 08-23-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Did you ever figure out how old you were? I know in chat you said you just turned 18 and spaced on how your 18th birthday was, but did remember that you did not get carded for buying cigarettes and that well for you was a disappointment. A day later your buddy in the grammar thread stated that you were 19 years old...it's very confusing to me. MOR with all due respect, you were allowed into our house and I am not sure about you but when I am allowed into someone's house and I want to continually be allowed back I try at least at first to make a good impression. I mean in reality what I see here is a few people coming in and taking a dump in the middle of the livening room floor and expect everyone not only to ignore it ,but expect everyone to clean it up, wipe their backsides powder it and send them off to continue bad behavior because well their new? It does not work like that and it never will, not here and not in the real world.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Blog Entries

I thought it was a very kind and supportive post by Shelby. Not in the least bit "cocky". Keeping the content readable around here is something that's taken fairly seriously, do NOT think you are going to step in here and change that.

It does sound like you had a good experience with your first cigar, congratulations! Just keep trying different things, you'll develop that palate in good time, and in good fun.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Liar

Edit: Ok, that was harsh on my part. I was trying to be half sarcastic / funny with that, but it just came out harsh. FWIW I didn't find any attitude in Shelby's post, really.
    Last edited by badwhale; 08-24-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added more thoughts
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

If your panties are in bunch over Shelby07's post, you won't last long. Relax, and take it easy.
    Yay! Cigars!

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Real friends don't just give acceptance, praise and accolades! Real friends tell you the truth, correct you when your wrong, steer you clear of error and say things that are difficult to say. Believe me when I say "we want what's best for you". I don't think we are cocky, but I will say that we want you here to grow in your knowledge of things and grow as an individual too. Ease up because even some of the negative things that are said here are to help and not hurt you.
    Just another day at the office!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Real friends don't just give acceptance, praise and accolades! Real friends tell you the truth, correct you when your wrong, steer you clear of error and say things that are difficult to say. Believe me when I say "we want what's best for you". I don't think we are cocky, but I will say that we want you here to grow in your knowledge of things and grow as an individual too. Ease up because even some of the negative things that are said here are to help and not hurt you.
    LOL - The thing is there was absolutely nothing negative in my post. I complemented him for not getting into the"grammar" thing, and look what he did. I'm still waiting to hear how I was cocky. Wonder if I'll ever get a reply.

Thread Information