Fellow BOTL and SOTL. I appreciate all the knowledge and this forum for all that I have learned on this journey of mine into the world of cigars.

Tonight is really something special for me for a lot of reasons. Today is the end of the Summer of 2009, and the eve of my college endeavor. I took to my backyard in reflection of all sorts - part in reverence of the past four years in high school, in anticipation for college, and in hopes for the rest of my life.

I'd like to share a monumental experience in my relationship to cigars, because it is a cigar that accompanied me on this fine evening. I had just ate a hearty dinner. The wind was a slight breeze and life was good. I also brought my guitar with me to jam with.

I have spent a lot of time simply just researching cigars. But now I get it.

Nothing beats a nice smoke where...the focus isn't really about the smoke. IMHO, I felt a more enjoyable experience when I didn't worry so much about the cigar, whether it burned evenly, expectations for the cigar, etc. I mean not to say that such characteristics about a cigar shouldn't be enjoyed, but I guess that I learned, for me, that I used to just worry so much about the cigar, what flavors I should be tasting, getting frustrated with plugs, etc., that I forgot about the sheer essence for a cigar...

A cigar should be relaxed with, to unwind with, to celebrate with, to look forward to after an accomplishment - I think that's where I find more value in my cigar purchases and investments. It's kinda funny because it took smoking more to understand I enjoyed a cigar better when I smoked them less.

"A cigar ought not to be smoked solely with the mouth, but with the hand, the eyes, and with the spirit."
-- Zino Davidoff

I didn't really get that until now.

And which cigar is it that helped me reach this understanding?

CAO Gold Corona, which I now really like!

Don't blast me, but I even dropped the cigar (I really need an cigar ashtray) by accident, causing the foot (after it had been lit) to unravel a little! I didn't fret, I just carried on smoking the cigar and it still burned great right through the little out of place where the wrapper unraveled.

I guess it also goes to show...Well, I learned this quote from the experience too:

"What is the difference between a $10 and a $2 cigar? Eight bucks."
-- Lew Rothman

Thanks for reading.