Thread: I finally get it.

Default I finally get it.

Fellow BOTL and SOTL. I appreciate all the knowledge and this forum for all that I have learned on this journey of mine into the world of cigars.

Tonight is really something special for me for a lot of reasons. Today is the end of the Summer of 2009, and the eve of my college endeavor. I took to my backyard in reflection of all sorts - part in reverence of the past four years in high school, in anticipation for college, and in hopes for the rest of my life.

I'd like to share a monumental experience in my relationship to cigars, because it is a cigar that accompanied me on this fine evening. I had just ate a hearty dinner. The wind was a slight breeze and life was good. I also brought my guitar with me to jam with.

I have spent a lot of time simply just researching cigars. But now I get it.

Nothing beats a nice smoke where...the focus isn't really about the smoke. IMHO, I felt a more enjoyable experience when I didn't worry so much about the cigar, whether it burned evenly, expectations for the cigar, etc. I mean not to say that such characteristics about a cigar shouldn't be enjoyed, but I guess that I learned, for me, that I used to just worry so much about the cigar, what flavors I should be tasting, getting frustrated with plugs, etc., that I forgot about the sheer essence for a cigar...

A cigar should be relaxed with, to unwind with, to celebrate with, to look forward to after an accomplishment - I think that's where I find more value in my cigar purchases and investments. It's kinda funny because it took smoking more to understand I enjoyed a cigar better when I smoked them less.

"A cigar ought not to be smoked solely with the mouth, but with the hand, the eyes, and with the spirit."
    -- Zino Davidoff

I didn't really get that until now.

And which cigar is it that helped me reach this understanding?

CAO Gold Corona, which I now really like!

Don't blast me, but I even dropped the cigar (I really need an cigar ashtray) by accident, causing the foot (after it had been lit) to unravel a little! I didn't fret, I just carried on smoking the cigar and it still burned great right through the little out of place where the wrapper unraveled.

I guess it also goes to show...Well, I learned this quote from the experience too:

"What is the difference between a $10 and a $2 cigar? Eight bucks."
    -- Lew Rothman

Thanks for reading.

2. Default

I totally understand you, I have never smoked a cigar by itself, I am always doing something else. Reading, watching a movie, playing poker, talking with friends, etc. because like you say, it is the best way to truly appreciate the cigar. Sometimes I'll find something to do just to smoke a stick but I can't imagine sitting by myself for an hour with nothing but a cigar to keep me company.

I'm glad you get it now.

I don't know, but I love to just hide in my garage and lock the door and light up a nice stick and think about NOTHING. I am not saying you are wrong, but that is the way I like to enjoy my cigars...but, then again, I have a wife and 3 children, so, I do not have alot of down time so I enjoy stopping with my Oliva serie O (my new honey).

Keith

I agree with Mail Man. I always make sure I'm not doing anything while I'm smoking a cigar, except smoking the cigar. When I am busy smoking I am very busy doing nothing else.
    My wife always wants to come and talk about things while I'm smoking and it drives me CRAZY!!!
    There's only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't!

Blog Entries

I get a LOT of enjoyment out of a cigar on the golf course. It helps take my mind off that last shot that went into the woods!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    I get a LOT of enjoyment out of a cigar on the golf course. It helps take my mind off that last shot that went into the woods!
    Man, I couldn't carry enough cigars with me to make me forget my golf game

Sometimes the cigar happens to be the experience itself and others it just serves to accent the real experience. I personally like to use the smoke as a background and in that way it just makes those relaxing moments so much more so. There are not a whole lot of things better than just sitting back and smoking a cigar, no worries, no cares. If you spend the whole time dwelling on every nuance or fault with the cigar you sort of lose that. If you find subtl flavors that just happen to strike you great but don't try to chase em down just let the cigar and the experience take you on whatever journey you are on.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

well said, I don't know if my palate is defined enough to pick out any flavors, but I do know when I like a stick, and then I sit back and zone into it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    Amen!
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Smoking cigars has become my time to unwind. Living on a farm, you don't get much time to rest and I usually work until 7 or 8. At about 9 I go out on the front porch with a pepsi/bourbon, and a stogie. This is MY time to relax and let all my troubles and worries fade away. This time of year i go out on the front porch and watch the sunset. Hopefully there is just a little breeze to keep the bugs away. In my opinion a guy can't ask for much more. Well, i suppose i could wish that my wife understood how great it is........but thats ok. If I didn't have her i would be smoking one ALL the time and I would be flat broke......not to mention having nothing to do when i finish my cigar....

11. Default

So...You really "get it".

12. Default

Cigars can help pretty much anybody relax. I know some guys get so focused on "oh geez, the ash fell off too soon, thats a bad construction" or analyzing the cigar with something like "oh my, i am getting extremely subtle hints of leather and cocoa with that last puff there". Yes, if I had an extremely impressive ash I would probably take a pic and put it online, but its not something I worry myself with. I really like the final quote in the OP. I have found that more expensive isnt necessarily better when it comes to cigars. I guess the bottom line is, if you like a cigar, just smoke it and enjoy it! You shouldn't have to sit there and worry about your cigar when you have been worrying about other things all day.
    Last edited by sushiboy; 09-07-2009 at 07:31 AM.

Thread Information