Thread: Trouble with xikar cutter

Default Trouble with xikar cutter

When I first bought this cutter I could get a nice clean cut. For the past couple weeks since I started smoking again, the cutter is constantly cutting cigars a quite an angle. I don't know what I could be doing wrong. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. I know it is probably operational error on my part somehow, but if not it has a lifetime warranty. Just thought I would listen to some experts or experienced folks first.

Thanks.

2. Default

Well, if you hold it at an angle, it will cut at an angle. That’s true for any cigar cutter. Or do you mean something else by, "at an angle?"

How fast are you cutting the cigar? Are you using a quick "snapping" action or are you using a steady squeezing action?

I used to quickly snap my cutter shut, both my Xikar & Palio, and would end up with all kinds of different cuts. Sometimes I'd get a good cut, others real lousy, but no consistency to it. Once I tried a nice steady squeeze action and got a really great cut. I now get a nice consistent cut by taking my time and squeezing the blades through the cigar.

I ask this, as I noticed by using a quick snapping action both the cigar and cutter would move in my hands which would produce an undesirable cut. I to would get a cut at an angle because I was moving the cigar and cutter. I also noticed the cut wasn't very clean all the time because again of movement.
    Last edited by Mizicke5273; 08-24-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added a thought
    Yay! Cigars!

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Lay the cutter on the table, open and button up. Hold the cigar upright with the foot touching the table in the "cutting zone". Make sure it's straight up & down and squeeze the cutter firmly but slowly as noted above and see how you make out.

Obviously doesn't work with torpedos, but you get the drift.

Jim
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Blog Entries

You also might try cleaning the blades with a soft cloth dipped in rubbing alchohol.

The blades may look clean right now, but tobacco oils build up over time and tend to get slightly sticky, impeding the cutting action.

If all else fails, send it back! They'll likely have a new one in your mailbox in about 2 weeks.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    You also might try cleaning the blades with a soft cloth dipped in rubbing alchohol.

The blades may look clean right now, but tobacco oils build up over time and tend to get slightly sticky, impeding the cutting action.

If all else fails, send it back! They'll likely have a new one in your mailbox in about 2 weeks.
    If you send it back, it takes about 2 weeks. Been there done that.

This man knows about Xikar cutters!.

Thanks Dennis!

Rich

You might also want to tighten up the screws a little bit.

Happened to me.

You don't want them real tight, just enough to remove the space between the blades
    sammis

what kind of screwdriver is needed? I tried using the smallest one I had but it didn't fit into the screw.

a large jeweller screwdriver or #0 or a #1 standard screwdriver.

on occasion i've also used two dimes, but don't slip
    sammis

Thread Information