Thread: cuban seed?

Default cuban seed?

I really want to try a real cuban cigar someday soon. I see alot of online stores sell cigars with cuban seeded filler. Is this just seed that is imported from cuba? Do you call this an authentic cuban cigar? I got a sampler pack from Cigars International a week ago and I still have 2 Don Pepin Vegas cubanas left. I just want to know if I can say I smoked a cuban when they are gone.

What is modest priced cuban that is a decent smoke?

2. Default

My guess is that "cuban seed" means seed that comes from cuba (doh)
    When Castro took over, a bunch of cigar makers fled the country with tobacco seeds in their pockets and set up shop elsewhere. These are the cigars we smoke today.
    Yeah the seeds come from cuba, but that really means nothing. The conditions of the soil and climate matter much more than the specific tobacco plant. That’s why cuba can make a good cigar using only cuban tobacco, the micro climates of that tiny country are enough to make tobacco with distinct flavors.

So in short, "cuban seed" means absolutely nothing.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I had suspected that. Well thanks for the help. And the dissapointment I guess

I will find somewhere to get my hands on an authentic cuban yet.

4. Default

"Cuban-seed" is just a marketing thing. Those cuban seeds that were taken from plants in tobacco long ago and have since been grown in other countries. Since those actual seeds were used many generations of plants ago, it doesnt mean anything to you today. As Bluesmudge said, the differences in soil and climate make for a different cigar experience.

Thread Information