Thread: General opinions and relighting advice

1. Default General opinions and relighting advice

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums as well as to cigar smoking in general. I'm in college at Penn State University and find it a wonderful way to relax after long weeks of stress. I seem to be leaning towards more full-bodied cigars, as I just finished a Brazilia, which i loved, a couple weeks ago (btw, it kicked me in the butt on an empty stomach, lol). So, I was at the local cigar shop, and was remcommend an Africa and an Oliva Bold. Haven't smoked them yet, but one will be tonight. Also, the lady recommended, however mild, a moontrance. Any opinions on these few that i listed? Also, is it okay to relight a cigar. For example, say i want to smoke for 10-15 minutes, and then go grab some dinner, and finish it off after, is that okay....does it hurt the flavor....any particular way i need to do it (cut off end, etc.)....is that against cigar ettiquette?

Thanks guys, and glad to be part of the forums.

Blog Entries

Welcome Brian!! Even though I'm a UCONN grad, I'm a HUGE Penn State fan I've visited Happy Valley many times when I was in school (well 20 years ago) and saw the Nittany Lions play in the Orange Bowl in 1985 (Actually January of 1986, it was for the 1985 season where PSU was undefeated and lost to Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl ).

Oliva "O" Bolds are a nice cigar, one of my favorite domestics. I'm not a big fan of the Montecristo Afriques. I've never heard of a "Moontrance"

I relight cigars all the time because I do 95% of my cigar smoking in the car. A few minutes or a couple of hours between relights doesn't matter but relighting a cigar that has sat overnight or for a few days is generally not good.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 06-29-2005 at 01:45 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Welcome RobustoBrian to Cigarsmokers from New Jersey.

4. Default

Thanks for the opinion, i don't think the one cigar is a montecrisco afrique, but a ....umm.......Don Lino Africa. And if any of you like full-bodied cigars, giving some suggestions would be awesome thanks.

SFG75 Guest

Welcome! Typically, you shouldn't wait longer than half an hour to re-light a cigar. When you do go to re-light, be sure to blow into the cigar first in order to lessen the bad flavor that will come at you upon re-lighting. The Brazilia line is excellent, don't let a sick episode get you down, try them again when your stomach is full and when your feeling good. The moontrance is decent, a good smoke if you need a good fix in between classes. If you love the heavier stuff, try an Onyx Reserve or most anything by Punch. Once again, it's good to have you here, pull up a chair and stay awhile.

6. Default

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the opinions, and the welcome I have been receiving. Next questions, anyone have recommened links to learn more about the tips and tricks of smoking cigars, and something about the rating system or where to find cigar ratings. Thanks again.

they have one product a cigar savor? i believe you can place your cigar in it and resmoke it later on without the bad taste, i've never tried it though so don't know how well they work.

Blog Entries

Oh that "Moontrance" is a flavored cigar by CAO. Don't waste your money on those.

Scotty (SFG75) feels compelled to fill his posts with feel-good bullshit so he's putting on his act again but don't listen to him.

Flavored cigars are made by companies to try to get young people interested in cigars. They generally are pretty lousy cigars so once again, I would not waste your time and money on them.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuietC
    they have one product a cigar savor? i believe you can place your cigar in it and resmoke it later on without the bad taste, i've never tried it though so don't know how well they work.
    Using a cigar savor or not using it has no impact on the "bad taste" that one may or may not experience when relighting a cigar.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

10. Default

Nice graphic Cat.....awesome school too.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    Using a cigar savor or not using it has no impact on the "bad taste" that one may or may not experience when relighting a cigar.
    i see, my bad...always thought thats what they were used for

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuietC
    i see, my bad...always thought thats what they were used for
    my bad
    Oh no, not at all, it's just a method for storing your cigar (or usually because you want to extinguish it fairly quickly). The manufacturer or retailer may use as a selling point that it will prevent the "bad taste" on relight and again, I don't agree with that statement.

I've used one of these and the supposed strong points are that it prevents your cigar from drying out because it's stored in a sealed container AND when you store it in the sealed container, it extinguishes itself immediately.

Now in my case, I don't worry about the cigar "drying out" over the course of an hour or two but if I lived in Arizona or Utah it might be a different story and one of these devices would be the way to go.

My experience has been that I don't sense a "bad taste" when I relight, I experience a different taste when I relight on the first draw or two but after that, it's the same as smoking the cigar from when it was initially lit. My original statement was that in my experience, it makes no difference if a cigar savor was used to extinguish and store the cigar versus if it were left in an ashtray to extinguish itself.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

SFG75 Guest

Oh that "Moontrance" is a flavored cigar by CAO. Don't waste your money on those.

Scotty (SFG75) feels compelled to fill his posts with feel-good bullshit so he's putting on his act again but don't listen to him.

Flavored cigars are made by companies to try to get young people interested in cigars. They generally are pretty lousy cigars so once again, I would not waste your time and money on them.

Uhhhh, I said it was decent, not the greatest cigar in the world-big difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SFG75
    Uhhhh, I said it was decent, not the greatest cigar in the world-big difference.
    You also said it was a "good smoke" which it is not. My point here is that you feel compelled to spew bullshit just for the sake of spewing bullshit which I find nauseating and would ask you once again to please do the best you can to control the urge to post shit like this because you only make this site look bad.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

You also said it was a "good smoke" which it is not. My point here is that you feel compelled to spew bullshit just for the sake of spewing bullshit which I find nauseating and would ask you once again to please do the best you can to control the urge to post shit like this because you only make this site look bad.
    CCat . . . most of us share you opinion of flavored cigars, however the Moontrance is made by CAO and it a top notch product in the world of flavored smokes. My wife likes the CAO flavors and specifically the Moontrance. I have taking a few puffs as well and find it to have decent flavor.

I wouldn't call the Moontrance or any other CAO flavor garbage. It is hardly on the level of most of the crap that populates the flavored smokes genre.

And besides . . . we must not lose site of the fact the everyone has thier own taste and opinion on such matters as cigars and their flavors.

my .02
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    CCat . . . most of us share you opinion of flavored cigars, however the Moontrance is made by CAO and it a top notch product in the world of flavored smokes. My wife likes the CAO flavors and specifically the Moontrance. I have taking a few puffs as well and find it to have decent flavor.

I wouldn't call the Moontrance or any other CAO flavor garbage. It is hardly on the level of most of the crap that populates the flavored smokes genre.

And besides . . . we must not lose site of the fact the
    everyone has thier own taste and opinion on such matters as cigars and their flavors

my .02
    And I didn't call them "garbage" either, did I?

My reason for quoting Scotty was that he's trying to pull his typical two-faced, flip-flopping bullshit once again. He said:
    but he forgot to include the part where he said this:
    The moontrance is decent, a good smoke
    and I called him on it.

This is not a pissing contest about Scotty's right to his opinion but rather how he talks out of both sides of his pandering-assed mouth on a regular basis.

"site" should be "sight" there counselor and as you so eloquently stated:
    everyone has thier own taste and opinion on such matters as cigars and their flavors
    (except that ya spelled "their" wrong )

RobustoBrian asked for OPINIONS and I gave him mine. Scotty's opinion changes with the wind depending on who he's pandering to.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 06-29-2005 at 04:14 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Relighting doesn't bother me as long as it hasn't sat longer than 10-15 minutes. Anything longer than that and the cigar has a nasty taste to it, so I just pitch them into my compost heap.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Welcome Brian,

Not to get into a war of words with CCat, I also believe flavored cigars are crap. But I do have a friend who loves the Moontrance cigar. They smell more like a pipe tobacco to me but, He swears I sholud try one.

As to relighting a cigar true enough blowing into a cigar before a relight will reduce the "Bad" Flavor experienced by a relight. I also blow into the cigar during the relight and that seems to reduce the "bad" flavor. If you don't care then who is to say you are relighting a cigar incorrectly.

As to Other cigars to try...
    Saint Luis Rey Maduro
    Sancho Panza Maduro
    Hoyo de Monterrey Maduro
    All the previously mentioned cigars are not expensive at all.

Anything Punch, The Grand Cru is good.
    Partagas Black
    CAO Brazillia
    HdMonterrey Dark Sumatra
    R&Julieta Reserve Maduro
    All of these are good and slightly higher in price but not expensive in any regard.

I know I threw alot at you but thats pretty much my normal rotation, I like them strong and I love the Brazillia.
    The only thing missing from my life is money and more Cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy1
    Welcome Brian,

Not to get into a war of words with CCat, I also believe flavored cigars are crap. But I do have a friend who loves the Moontrance cigar. They smell more like a pipe tobacco to me but, He swears I sholud try one.

As to relighting a cigar true enough blowing into a cigar before a relight will reduce the "Bad" Flavor experienced by a relight. I also blow into the cigar during the relight and that seems to reduce the "bad" flavor. If you don't care then who is to say you are relighting a cigar incorrectly.

As to Other cigars to try...
    Saint Luis Rey Maduro
    Sancho Panza Maduro
    Hoyo de Monterrey Maduro
    All the previously mentioned cigars are not expensive at all.

Anything Punch, The Grand Cru is good.
    Partagas Black
    CAO Brazillia
    HdMonterrey Dark Sumatra
    R&Julieta Reserve Maduro
    All of these are good and slightly higher in price but not expensive in any regard.

I know I threw alot at you but thats pretty much my normal rotation, I like them strong and I love the Brazillia.
    Thanks Lazy1!

Welcome aboard Brian. I have to say that I also hate flavored cigars (even the CAOs), but that doesn't mean you will. My advice would be that if you enjoy tobacco flavors in your cigar then the Moontrance and other flavored or infused cigars probably aren't for you.

Trying new brands and types of cigars is really then only way for you to know what you like. So, don't be afraid to just grab some sticks that look interesting and try them.

Now, as for my opinion of the other cigars you mentioned: the CAO Brazilia line is a fav of mine, and the Oliva Bold maddies are pretty good as well. I personally think the Don Lino Afrique is a perfectly good waste of $5. Save your money. Or better yet, take one of those hot sorority girls for coffee at Starbucks and spend the extra $5 on her.

As far as relighting your cigar, I think that kind of depends on how often you smoke them. If you smoke as many a day as CC & I, then it probably won't bother you. There is a bit of a different taste added to the cigar upon relighting but generally I can seperate the tastes and still enjoy the smoke. I know some people can't stand to smoke a relit cigar unless it has been relit immediately.

In the mean time, just smoke and learn brother.
    Last edited by grand cru no 2; 06-29-2005 at 07:51 PM.

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

I too don't mind relighting a smoke, even the next morning. It's all personal preferance. I think it just gets stronger when you relight, espically the longer you wait. And I like strong cigars

Welcome to the board!!!!
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Thread Information