Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best cigar tube length and width

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Are they considered "heirloom quality" ?

Ouch!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

2. Default

yea, I guess you could say they are heirloom quality.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by exodus125 View Post

doing a search for " titanium cigar tube" I found this:

http://www.absolutetitanium.com/orde...GARTUBE-OVALIA

price listes is $595.
    Unfortunately, the seller's don't determine a product's worth. The buyers usually do that. I'd be interested to find out how many of those he's sold at $600 a pop.

unfortunately, I wouldnt be able to lower the price much if I wanted to make any kind of profit.
    It just sounds like this isn't the market for your product. Maybe if it had some other kind of feature (being waterproof, humidity-controlled, etc.), you would have some kind of appeal to the cigar smoker, but the price point is still difficult to overcome.

I used to coach lacrosse. I can't tell you how many times a defenseman would start out the season with the latest and greatest Titanium stick from STX or Warrior, only to wrap it around an attackman, and either bend it up beyond repair or snap it in half. You go through a couple of those, and those aluminum sticks start looking really good. I'm not necessarily sold on Titanium as an indestructable metal - yet.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Just out of curiousity -- what does the chunk of titanium cost, amd what goes into turning it into a cigar tube?

5. Default

Titanium is a bitch to machine and its pretty pricey ,at least the military spec stuff I see at a plant we do work in. The rest is hush hush to the point of being arrested under federal law for thieving the smallest piece.
    The older I get ,the better I was

I don't think anyone is arguing here. You got your answer on size and valuable info on price. Let's face it, you don't want to go an make 1000 tubes and only move a 3 or 4.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post

I used to coach lacrosse. I can't tell you how many times a defenseman would start out the season with the latest and greatest Titanium stick from STX or Warrior, only to wrap it around an attackman, and either bend it up beyond repair or snap it in half. You go through a couple of those, and those aluminum sticks start looking really good. I'm not necessarily sold on Titanium as an indestructable metal - yet.
    thats the thing, titanium is not indestructible.

Something alot of people do not understand is that titanium is not some sort of magical material that will never break. Titanium has a very nice weight to strength ratio and its very rust resistant, but that doesn't mean its indestructible, all that means is that a 1 lb piece of titanium will be stronger than a 1 lb piece of aluminum.

In the case of the lacrosse sticks, the sticks may be made thinner than the aluminum sticks so they are lighter and just as strong. Same concept goes into titanium bike frames, its strength allows the frames to be made thinner and therefor lighter.

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback and suggestions guys.

Blog Entries

all that means is that a 1 lb piece of titanium will be stronger than a 1 lb piece of aluminum.
    Yeah... but which piece would be heavier??

Seriously, those are very nice looking, and I'm sure there's a small niche in the market for them.

I WOULD consdider marketing them as indestructable, and engineered waterproof. Possibly cedar lined, individually serial numbered and registered, maybe a lanyard?

For $160.00 American, That's the LEAST I would expect!

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    Yeah... but which piece would be heavier??

Seriously, those are very nice looking, and I'm sure there's a small niche in the market for them.

I WOULD consdider marketing them as indestructable, and engineered waterproof. Possibly cedar lined, individually serial numbered and registered, maybe a lanyard?

For $160.00 American, That's the LEAST I would expect!
    I would be looking for a happy ending at $160/pop.

Blog Entries

A "Hands-free mystery-batch"?

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

Well I dont understand how Snowpeak and other manafacturers sell titanium cookware so cheaply. If that's so costly, why is a coffee press like $50. I think I paid like $25 on ebay for one. Pretty neat tube for the wealthier, but taking 1 cigar is not much good unles I'm only heading to the back yard anyway. Good luck with the tube.

And you could get one so long as it's a Petite Corona tube.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    And you could get one so long as it's a Petite Corona tube.
    Bastid.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pub spears View Post
    Well I dont understand how Snowpeak and other manafacturers sell titanium cookware so cheaply. If that's so costly, why is a coffee press like $50. I think I paid like $25 on ebay for one. Pretty neat tube for the wealthier, but taking 1 cigar is not much good unles I'm only heading to the back yard anyway. Good luck with the tube.

its very easy, for the most part those are made of titanium sheet and they are mass produced in a factory.Titanium sheet is shaped or welded together, very different than machining.

When you machine something out of a soild piece of titanium its more expensive to make. All the material you remove is wasted.

its very easy, for the most part those are made of titanium sheet and they are mass produced in a factory.Titanium sheet is shaped or welded together, very different than machining.

When you machine something out of a soild piece of titanium its more expensive to make. All the material you remove is wasted.
    The scrap can't be melted down and recycled?
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.”
    - George Burns

“I have to laugh when I think of the first cigar, because it was probably just a bunch of rolled up tobacco leaves”
    - Jack Handy

16. Default

after all the buildings have been leveled, the zombies have taken over, and nuclear winter has set in, at least i can take comfort knowing that my last stogie is safe, and in a stylin' tube at that!

Thread Information