Thread: Need guidance on first purchase

Blog Entries

Default Need guidance on first purchase

I am tired of smoking cheap cigars that leave a horrible after taste. I'm asking for help in picking out some samplers that will educate my palete and give me an enjoyable experience. I'm considering the below samplers. I would greatly appreciate your insight.

Gispert Robusto
    Macanudo Hyde Park
    Helix Blue Tubular
    Gurkha Regent
    Romeo Reserve Robusto
    Romeo y Julieta 1875
    Romeo y Julieta Vintage #3
    Partagas Fabulosos
    H Upmann Reserve
    H Upmann Connoisseur
    H Upmann Special Selection
    Montecristo H2000
    Montecristo robusto
    Montecristo Afrique Jambo
    Montecristo Churchill
    Punch Rothschild

I'm also picking up a couple of Maker's Mark Bourbon 650. Comments? Suggestions?

Big I would highly recommend you try the newbie sampler

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/showthre...newbie+sampler

it will give you a huge assortment of stick to try for a very nominal price.

I floundered about trying this for sometime, but finally "bit the bullet" and gave it a go...and MAN OH MAN, am I happy I tried it.

trust me on this, you will be happy you did.

Keith

Blog Entries

+ 1 for the Newbie Sampler. This is exactly what it was set up for. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

Did a box split of the Maker's Mark with a buddy of mine down here. I didn't care for them at all (very acrid) and they were really dry even though they were in wax sealed tubes.

I would check out some of the samplers on Cigars International, JR Cigars, Cigar.com, etc., especially if you know what you prefer in a cigar.

Kris

Blog Entries

MarineOne - Thanks fo the tip on Maker's Mark. The only reason I was looking at them was to get a "hint" of bourbon. General Order #1 sucks.

The cigars I listed are all part of samplers that I ran across. I thought about the newbie deal, but I think it might be too difficult to pull off while I'm here.

I know you're up north, so I don't know how often you guys get your mail run from Kuwait.

I'm down here just north of Echo on the MSR (I won't say where, but I'm sure you know) and luckily most of the cigars I order from the States get here anywhere from 7 to 14 days. Cigar International has been the most consistent averaging 10 days from the time they ship until I get them.

I just ordered a box of Sancho Panza Double Maduro and a 20 pack of 5 Vegas Series "A" and they all are ready to smoke. CI makes it too easy.

Kris

Newbie Sampler is the way to go.

follow the guidelines on the first page and when a participant is up and willing to do a sampler let them know the situation and your location right up front.
    they will either work with you or pass, it cant hurt to ask.

I'm in the middle of doing a sampler right now and i can tell you right now the people doing this know what they are doing.

if you hang around in this forum for very long you'll see that they re very knowledgeable and want to help new cigar smoker out.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

Marine0ne - I'm way north. Red Air (limited visibility) gives us fits with mail. I placed the order like you suggested. BTW, our PX doesn't have the Cuestra reys you mentioned. They only have Tampas and King Edwards.

We have a lot of Turkish merchants in my area. Can anyone recommend a Turkish cigar that a newb might enjoy?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
    We have a lot of Turkish merchants in my area. Can anyone recommend a Turkish cigar that a newb might enjoy?
    Never heard of a Turkish-made cigar that wasn't mostly a marketing gimmick (I'm looking at you, Gurkha!). Best bet would probably be the Newbie Sampler, but I understand your hesitation due to the distance and time it would take.

I do enjoy Turkish coffee, however. Really good stuff. I also remember enjoying shisha when I visited over there as well.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

10. Default

I haven't had much luck with finding a good Gurkha, but you can't go wrong in my opinion with a RyJ, Perdomo (Lot 23), and for a cheaper smoke try some the 5 Vegas'

+1 on the newbie sampler thread. I'm still smoking some of the awesome sticks (and saving some special ones) from my sampler. Thanks again heftysmokes.

Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. - Clarence Darrow

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

12. Default

Rocky Patel Vintage 90 / Vintage 92
    Never had a bad one yet. Always a consistent burn, pleasant after-taste, silky mouthfeel, and the flavor profile is amazing. Don't know if you can get any in a sampler, but if you can then go for it.

Blog Entries

I might just give the Rocky Patel a try. I'll get to looking for a five pack

Yeah, the RP Vintage 90 is a good one. You might also like to try the Decade and The Edge.

Cigars International has some good sales right now, but the Decade is hard to find on their site so I'm including the link. You can find the Vintage 90's and The Edge rather easily though, but make sure you go slow on ordering the 90's as they mix the 90's and 92's together. There is a 5 pack robusto available for $35, typical price for RP.

Decade (fourth from bottom; this is the link to their 5 pack sample page)
    http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...sp?item=CS-PT3

-K

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link. I just made another order. I really appreciate everyone's help

Blog Entries

Tonight we smoked CAOs at our cigar gathering . I had the Gold with the natural. Really nice. Some of the guys smoked the Brazilias (sic?) and loved them. I'm really impressed & I plan to order more for us.

Now if those Rocky Patels will ever get here..

Blog Entries

Try a Rocky Patel Edge Maduro - Toro Size.
    Pick up a Oliva V serie also.

Those two just came to mind.
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

I cannot say enough about the RP Edge. It is definately one of my favorites!

Thread Information