Thread: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra

Default GI Joe: Rise of Cobra

I got my grubby little hands on a DVD rip of GI Joe: Rise of Cobra. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide from where and the legality of such a copy. That said I will most likely be purchasing a copy when it hits shelves, my sources say November 5th is the likely release date.

With that out of the way...

Imdb Link

Wikipedia Link

All in all a good action movie. A few minor goofs, Duke having a goatee while in dress uniform, the use of civilian H2's in battle scenes. Nothing that really detracts from the movie.

A couple of minor history changes from the original series, I won't talk about those since one of the departures is a "shocker" near the end of the film.

The plot according to IMDB:
    An elite military unit comprised of special operatives known as G.I. Joe, operating out of The Pit, takes on an evil organization led by a notorious arms dealer.
    In my opinion it's a good reboot of the old GI Joe franchise and I look forward to the next installment, supposedly in development already.

They had a few of the classic Joe characters, Duke, Scarlett, Snake Eyes, Heavy Duty and Breaker all make an appearance. As for Cobra, Destro, Cobra Commander, the Baroness, Storm Shadow and Zartan make appearances and even a small part with Dr. Mindbender.

The visual effects were top rate, they didn't detract from the movie and I never questioned what was CG and what was physical props. I'm sure on a second viewing a few things would catch my eye, but not enough to detract.

The history/flashbacks were for the most part well done giving a nice backstory for most of the characters.

Overall, I'd have to rate GI Joe: Rise of Cobra at a 4.5/5 worth watching and if you're a fan of GI Joe and/or action movies worth owning when it hits the shelves next month.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

I was super psyched about seeing this when it came out... It was good, but not as great as I was expecting...

The CG was pretty darn good. The only scene where it stood out as obvious involved a woman on a motorcycle ( names and details omitted for those who haven't seen it).
    I too felt the flashbacks were nicely done, especially the ones involving Snake Eyes and Shadow Storm!
    If you don't mind watching two hot women in action and some cool fight scenes, you might just like this movie.

i agree...not a bad movie at all but the two smoking hot chicks did it for me. kept me interested.

Overall it was ok but there were things that pissed me off. Mainly costumes. Lips on Snake Eyes were really fucking dumb and hard for me to get past and the Cobra Commander mask was pretty piss poor as well. Just stick with the chrome looking face or the hood, much cooler. I enjoyed the movie but those two things were hard for me to stomach.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by prophetic_joe View Post
    Overall it was ok but there were things that pissed me off. Mainly costumes. Lips on Snake Eyes were really fucking dumb and hard for me to get past and the Cobra Commander mask was pretty piss poor as well. Just stick with the chrome looking face or the hood, much cooler. I enjoyed the movie but those two things were hard for me to stomach.
    Same for me.

Marlon Wayans as Ripcord ..... oh what a joke. Dennis Quaid and his goofy frickin' grin as General Hawk ..... ghastly.

The kicker for me was Brandon Frasier as Gung-Ho when he rides up on the three wheeled Can-Am bike with the Eagle Globe and Anchor on his forearm.

There could have been MUCH better choices for the characters, IMO.

Blog Entries

I would rather have seen Joe as a variation of Jason Bourne rather than Batman !!!!
    " I did not have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky"

Thread Information