Thread: Digital Hygrometer: Adjustable or with memory option?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Digital Hygrometer: Adjustable or with memory option?

Hey guys,

I have been searching and reading posts to try and decide which hygrometer to get and have narrowed it down to these two:

Western Caliber III
    Pros: Adjustable, accurate to 1 degree and 1% RH
    Cons: No memory, maybe doesn't fit as nicely between cigars?

Little Havana
    Pros: Minimum and maximum memory, fits nicely between cigars
    Cons: Not adjustable, only accurate to 1.8 degrees and 1.5% RH

Can anyone offer their advice on which one to go with? I am leaning towards the Western Caliber but I don't know how important the memory option is.

Thanks,
    Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

The memory function isn't all that important. I have a couple Western Caliber II's that have served me just fine, even though I hardly look at them anymore. I'm that confident in my beads, and my cigars are smoking just fine!

Whatever you chose, just make sure it's properly calibrated every few months. I use the Boveda calibration kit since the Westerns advise against the salt test.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    The memory function isn't all that important. I have a couple Western Caliber II's that have served me just fine, even though I hardly look at them anymore. I'm that confident in my beads, and my cigars are smoking just fine!

Whatever you chose, just make sure it's properly calibrated every few months. I use the Boveda calibration kit since the Westerns advise against the salt test.
    Thanks, it's interesting that they don't want you to do the salt test... I wonder why.

-Buzz

Blog Entries

Salt is highly corrosive, not considered acceptable for testing a precision scientific instrument...

At least that's what the instructions say!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

I have a Little Havana and it's worked fine. I think the first battery lasted about 3 years. Right now it's in a terrarium with a chameleon though; point being, I know enough about managing the humidity in the humi to not really need a hygrometer any longer.

Also using another cigar-shaped one in the coolidor that I thought came from Holt's but I'm not seeing it on that website. BestCigarPrices has one that has a remote sensor that looks pretty cool - the part that goes in the humi is also shaped like a cigar. $30 though. Both of mine were around $15.

The temp and rh accuracy ranges you post are not enough to sweat.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Blog Entries

Thanks basil,

Please correct me if I am wrong guys but it seems that the more important thing would be the consistency of the humidity and temperature levels, not the actual values. So if my hygrometer is 3% RH off and 2 degrees off, I shouldn't worry as long as it is consistent all day long - right? So with that in mind maybe having the memory option would be more beneficial to insure (or ensure?) that my minimum and maximum values don't swing too much?

Edit: I said the values don't matter as much as the consistency - I should have added that as long as the values fall within the appropriate ranges for a humidor.

-Buzz
    Last edited by buzz; 10-15-2009 at 08:31 AM.

Thread Information