Thread: Windows 7

Blog Entries

Default Windows 7

Anyone installed this yet?

The reviews are glowing.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

I was running the beta version 64bit for a while. Nice environment, crash city.

My buddy is running it, and has switched all his computers in the house over to W7

Will
    (should I post this exact same thing twice?)
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    (should I post this exact same thing twice?)
    I think you should. I think you should.

Yeah, I've heard your 64 bit troubles with 7. But I just have a 32 bit. And it's out of beta. The reviews for the full-blown version are quite good. And I have a free upgrade coupon.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

I tried out the 32 bit beta and had a couple issues running AutoCAD (what my company uses primarily). Seemed like it didn't want to free up memory after the program was closed and re-opened. Overall it seems like a good OS and way better than Vista. I tried vista for 1 month before switching back to XP pro. We will probably switch the entire office over to 7 in the next year...

-Buzz

-Buzz
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    I tried out the 32 bit beta and had a couple issues running AutoCAD (what my company uses primarily). Seemed like it didn't want to free up memory after the program was closed and re-opened. Overall it seems like a good OS and way better than Vista. I tried vista for 1 month before switching back to XP pro. We will probably switch the entire office over to 7 in the next year...

-Buzz

-Buzz

Oh shit, it's an epidemic...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post

-Buzz

-Buzz
    Thanks for the specifics. On my Vista machine, I run mostly other M$ products (what MY company primarily uses), so I can only assume they made 7 able to work well with other Microsoft products. I do still hope VS Web Developer still crashes regularly, though.

I normally like to wait for a little while before switching OS's, and especially am leary about jumping to an OS that just became available, but this is an extenuating circumstance.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

I do still hope VS Web Developer still crashes regularly, though.
    Ha, yeah those are built in "features" to allow for more coffee breaks. I use Frontpage still but am probably not as heavy in the PHP as you are. My talents stop after a few includes and an e-mail submit form.

Autodesk (maker of AutoCAD) and M$ have a lot in common... wonderful "features".

-Buzz
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Running Win 7 on back up gaming system with no problems at all.
    i also ran the beta for 6 months or so with out any problems.

the computer it is on is not really up to date, 3 years old or so.
    Opteron 170 @ 2.5Ghz, 4 GB A-data DDR 3200 ,Biostar Tforce4 SLI, Evga 7900 GT, Soyo Topaz-S 24 inch lcd, XP 64 bit / Win 7 64 bit.

I'm keeping Vista ultimate on my main computer.
    Q6600 @ 3.4 ghz, ABIT IP35 Pro, 8 GB A-Data DDR2 800, XFX 8800 GT, Audigy 2 zs, SyncMaster 225BW 22 inch lcd, VISTA 64bit

I did test Win 7 on this computer and man it was fast. i just hate to scrap a OS i spent $300 on, so I'm keeping vista on it and my laptop
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 10-27-2009 at 11:32 AM.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

I'll probably take 7 for a test drive but won't be switching until at least 7 SP1.

I'll stick with XP SP3 for now unless I can get my wireless card to work under OSX.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

10. Default

I ran the Ultimate 64 bit RC on my i7 desktop and macbook pro, no problems with either. I've upgraded to the Professional 64 bit RTM on both since they were posted on MSDN (get them free because of my major), which if I remember correctly was about a month or so ago, again no problems with either, boot times are great and everything is running smoothly.

11. Default

I have been running Win7 on my other computer for a little while now. Here is the deal: Yea, its "better", but I think when people say "Windows 7 is better" they should add "in relation to Vista". In reality, Win7 is pretty much Vista 2, but MS knows no one is going to ever buy an OS with the name "Vista" in it ever again. The "pros" about it that really stand out to me is that compatibility mode works really well. I can even run drivers in compatibility mode! The reason I run drivers in compatibility mode brings me to the other big "pro" about it. I am running it on a computer who's hardware doesn't have Win7 (or Vista) drivers. Win7 uses WAY less resources than Vista. Ive got it running on a Celeron (I think 1.6Ghz) and only half a gig of RAM. Now, Im not running Photoshop or gaming on that computer or anything like that, but for what I do use that one for (mostly surfing and basic video conversion), it runs fine. I have installed it on other computers for people who bought it and who I would consider "casual users" and they are thrilled with it (they had Vista before).

12. Default

I've been running 7 for about 3 months now, and I love it!

It's built in ISO software is nice, simple, but nice. Also media centers integration with Xbox Live is awesome. It's Godmode shortcut is freaking great, amongst other things...

Thread Information