Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intro from NZ

Default Intro from NZ

Hello,

31 yr old male from the USA currently in new zealand greets ye all fine folks.

I'm a travel consultant who has never smoked and have always have an interest in trying a cigar. Thus, to prepare to celebrate my new job i've purchased my first cigar and gear .. just waiting now for the job to tell me i got the position to smoke it!

I chose a romeo y julieta #3 , bought a guillotine cigar cutter and wooden matches.

Now, as ive never smoked, dont have someone here to mentor me into the hobby and because I'd hate to stick the cigar in my mouth and have a bad experience i'd like to ask you folks for a 'step by step' guide on cigar smoking.

from the moment the thing is unwrapped what to do, how to smoke it, what items to get for it (humidor/etc) and also some cigar suggestions be appreciated.

Finally, would anyone be able to explain to me what winston churchill used on his cigars that lowered his nicotine intake? also it is said he used to 'dunk' them in brandy.. how is this done exactly? whats the effect?
    Last edited by DANTAC; 10-29-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: update

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board!

The best advice I can give is to take your time and enjoy your first cigar.
    You want to clip only part of the cap... Use a sharp, deliberate cutting motion for the cleanest cut. Use two matches at a time to toast the foot, not letting the flame touch the cigar. then use two more while slowly drawing and rotating to get a nice, even light.

Sit back, and enjoy that fine stogie... don't rush it, it will reward you nicely!

I wouldn't recommend dunking a cigar in anything though, but I've never heard of anything that will lower nicotine levels, aside from extensive aging.

As for suggestions? read around here in the reviews section.. there is a wealth of information available, and since taste is highly subjective, what I like may be hideous to you.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

welcome from Oregon! Enjoy!
    Just another day at the office!

4. Default

Check out the videos on Cigar Aficionado and Cigar.com for some details on how to cut, light and enjoy a cigar. It will be strait forward after the first time. If you are not keeping that cigar humidified, the earlier you smoke it the better. I really wouldn't smoke a cigar that has been out of proper humidity for more than 24 hours, it just won't taste as good.

Welcome from another newbie in Colorado!

Here, here on not rushing.
    I rushed my first cigar and it got hot and bitter.
    The next one I took my sweet time, and it was MUCH better tasting, and more enjoyable!

Good luck getting the job!

Dantac, Welcome to the board from NW PA.
    Good luck on the job, and once you have your first stogie, you are going to want more!
    when you get the urge to find out what is out there, and find out what you like, go here...you will not regret it.

Keith

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board from San Antonio!

Welcome from the Beehive State...
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

I read somewhere that Winston Churchill wrapped the head of his cigars in brown paper, so that his lips didn't directly contact the tobacco wrapper.

The story goes that he developed lip irritation from smoking so many, and to be able to continue to smoke without the lip irritation he would use the brown paper. So, instead of tasting paper he dipped it in cognac.

Blog Entries

Welcome from NW Louisiana!

I guess if you're worried about nicotine intake, then I'm wondering if this hobby is for you? There is generally an implied risk with cigars, similar to that of all tobacco products. Hell, my local B&M has a warning posted on the door of the shop, just for walking IN.....

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Welcome from NC. Hope you get the job and enjoy the RyJ.
    All my ex's live in Texas.

Blog Entries

Welcome from AZ- good luck on the job. Browse and search this forum, you will find answers to most any question you can think of. Then I would recommend the Newbie Sampler, I just did it and it is a great way to get a feel for the different types, tastes, and sizes of cigars.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

14. Default

Thanks all. my internet access is sporadic due to the fact that i have to use internet cafes until I settle down here.

Nicotine intake is something id like to reduce though its not worrying to me. Everything in moderation & all. I may try the brown paper thing and the cognac just for kicks :)

I will check out the videos thank you!

My cigar was purchased 3 days ago and its inside a tube still though it has no airtight wrap around it or inside that I can see... and it may be 2 or 3 days until i get the final word on whether i landed the job or not. Would the cigar by then be fouled or would you say it would still be good but just not 'in its prime' ? I really cant buy a humidor or the gear until I settle in.. too much luggage already ><

What is the major difference between cigarretes and cigars? I know cigarretes have tar and other crap added into the mix with the tobacco... are cigars just 100% tobacco or do they also have a similar mix as cigarretes?

Blog Entries

Welcome from Austin.TX.
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

16. Default

purchased a small humidor and a 2nd cigar, unwrapped them and put them on the humidor yesterday afternoon.

alas, today i get notice I did not land the job. So they'll sit there until the job is secured.

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about the job but best of luck on that.

Did you setup your humidor properly? There is a post on this forum on how to do it if you haven't yet. check it out as it was helpful for me.

18. Default

Yes I did look at it.. sadly since im moving around I dont have the time to set it up with a salt test :(

ive used a wet sponge on the insides of the box to start to cure it but cant get distilled water so regular water had to do for the time being.

Very sad to hear about the job, but keep your head up, and maybe smoke a cigar ...just for trying.

20. Default

ah mail man dont tempt me.

I'd rather enjoy it in victory :)

Thread Information