Thread: I finally got it!!!

Default I finally got it!!!

The swine flu, that is. What a miserable couple of days. I went to see the Avs play the Blachkawks on Friday night with my son, came home from a meeting on Saturday and have barely been able to stay awake. I never imagined I could sleep that much. 18-20 hours a day, literally.

I don't know if I'm getting better or just feeling relatively better than I have. Achy muscles along with the occasional muscle cramp, diarrhea, sore throat, congestion, dry cough, upset stomach, ringing in the ears, runny eyes, and tons of sinus phlegm in the mornings. This baby's got it all. I know I'm missing a couple of things 'cause if all I had was what I listed I'd have felt a lot better than I did.

Avoid this mother fucker at all costs! From what I hear it hitting the younger generation a lot harder than folks my age. If that's true I really feel sorry for them.

Blog Entries

Mark,

I hope you crush that sum bitch soon and start feeling well again! Have you noticed any medicines or other treatments that seem to have helped or that you would recommend? I chose not to get the H1N1 vaccine mainly because I want to be exposed so I can build up the immunity for the next time this thing spreads. I know it's a risky and probably dumb choice, but I'm hoping it works out.

Get well!
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Quote Originally Posted by denver24 View Post
    Mark,

I hope you crush that sum bitch soon and start feeling well again! Have you noticed any medicines or other treatments that seem to have helped or that you would recommend? I chose not to get the H1N1 vaccine mainly because I want to be exposed so I can build up the immunity for the next time this thing spreads. I know it's a risky and probably dumb choice, but I'm hoping it works out.

Get well!
    They're recommending Tamiflu, but I try to stay away from prescription drugs. I took Tylenol for the fever and chills (I knew I missed something, he fever was almost 105 and the chills just had me shivering for hours) took some NyQuil at night after sleeping all day (took the generic stuff you get at Safeway, apparently the Vicks doesn't have the ingredient in it to make you sleep any more) and tried to remember to eat and drink. Don't know if it helped, but if it did I'd hate to see what it would've been like without it.

You should probably understand that I don't get sick too often and when I do it usually doesn't hit me too hard. This one is a bugger! Get the vaccine. It's not worth the down time. I haven't heard anything about a greater immunity if you actually go through it. If you have the vaccine and get exposed to the virus your body will probably produce additional antibodies anyway.
    Last edited by Shelby07; 11-12-2009 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07

You should probably understand that I don't get sick too often and when I do it usually doesn't hit me too hard. This one is a bugger! Get the vaccine. It's not worth the down time. I haven't heard anything about a greater immunity if you actually go through it. If you have the vaccine and get exposed to the virus your body will probably produce additional antibodies anyway.
    I'm the same. It seems I get a tiny cold when everyone around me gets pneumonia.

My wife and I got the H1N1 vaccine yesterday. We didn't want to risk it with the baby on the way. I'm still waiting on getting the regular flu shot. There are none available on Long Island right now. My doc has me on a call list when/if he gets more.

A friend of mine had the swine flu back when it first came to the states. He said it was not fun at all. It was the worst sickness he had ever felt.

5. Default

I got both of my flu shots...H1N1 and the regular one a few weeks ago. First responders and medical workers were the first to get theirs. My wife and I both fit into that category.

Hope you get well soon.

Blog Entries

Damn Shelby. Hope you get better soon. I have only gotten the regular vaccione cause they are out of H1N1 in San Antonio. Cant wait to get one. I hate being sick even though I probably get a mild cough every 2 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    I got both of my flu shots...H1N1 and the regular one a few weeks ago. First responders and medical workers were the first to get theirs. My wife and I both fit into that category.

Hope you get well soon.
    And Goldman Sachs

Quote Originally Posted by denver24 View Post
    Mark,

Get well!
    Great choice! I think natural immunity is the way to go. The more alcohol disinfection stations I see the more I want to eat my dinner off the floor and ingest as many germs as I can. I'll have like, SUPER immunity compared to everyone else eventually I don't buy into the vaccine. Does everyone understand the risks of taking it? autism and Alzheimer’s and paralysis and permanent nerve damage(http://ezinearticles.com/?Flu-Shot-C...ions&id=276533) are some possibilities... Not to mention the mercury or other heavy metals in it. Besides, even if you get the vaccine, you may still get the H1N1. Seems to me your screwed if you do, and screwed if ya don't Oh, and only one company in north America is making the vaccine, and at $88 a shot, 33 mill people in Canada, uh, that many in New York alone, seems to me some pharmaceutical company is minting cash, and the governments helping.

I started a blog to vent these and other frustrations, lol, I think the address is in my profile some where...
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Holy crap man. Push the fluids and keep yourself hydrated. I've had a couple friends get this and unfortunately they ended up on IV drip because they slept so much and didn't get enough fluids.

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    Great choice! I think natural immunity is the way to go. The more alcohol disinfection stations I see the more I want to eat my dinner off the floor and ingest as many germs as I can. I'll have like, SUPER immunity compared to everyone else eventually I don't buy into the vaccine. Does everyone understand the risks of taking it? autism and Alzheimer’s and paralysis and permanent nerve damage(http://ezinearticles.com/?Flu-Shot-C...ions&id=276533) are some possibilities... Not to mention the mercury or other heavy metals in it. Besides, even if you get the vaccine, you may still get the H1N1. Seems to me your screwed if you do, and screwed if ya don't Oh, and only one company in north America is making the vaccine, and at $88 a shot, 33 mill people in Canada, uh, that many in New York alone, seems to me some pharmaceutical company is minting cash, and the governments helping.

I started a blog to vent these and other frustrations, lol, I think the address is in my profile some where...
    First off, my wife and I did a lot of research before deciding if she should be vaccinated for H1N1 because she is 36 weeks pregnant(34 weeks when we started researching). At first we were worried about autism and other side effects.

IMO vaccination is essential for preventing the spread of H1N1 and any other disease that has an available vaccine. Especially in high risk situations. For me it was that my wife will soon be having our first child. There is no way in hell that I would risk bringing home the swine flu if I can prevent it.

There is no real proof that this vaccine will contribute to Autism. In actuality, almost every vaccine giving to children does not even contain Thimerosal(the preservative containing mercury ), which was "found" to be a cause of the rise in Autism. That was prior to 2001. Yet, with all the non-thimerosal vaccines, there was and is no reduction in the amount of children diagnosed with autism.(http://autismsciencefoundation.wordp...es-and-autism/) On top of that, the Doctor who first "found" this link to autism and the Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccine(containing Thimerosal) was found to have falsified the documents of this study. (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle5683671.ece)

There is no link to Guillain-Barré Syndrome(nerve damage and possible paralysis) and the flu shot. (http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccinati...tsheet_gbs.htm)

I have no idea where the author of that article got the idea that the H1N1 vaccine can cause Alzheimer’s. I have not read that once in my research.

There are actually 5 pharmaceutical companies making the H1N1 vaccine. Non of which are located in the N. America. (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_makes_...09_flu_vaccine) Of course these companies are making a killing. But that's their industry whether you like it or not, but that's a different topic all together.

Of course, no one can really know what long term side effects may come from this vaccine. This spread only began in March of this year. There is no way with that limited amount of time to say what will happen. But through our research, we thought it was in our and our daughter's best interest to be vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    There is no way with that limited amount of time to say what will happen. But through our research, we thought it was in our and our daughter's best interest to be vaccinated.
    Thanks for the reply, and I hope it didn't come off as I was attacking. I'm just frustrated with the amount of media attention it's getting that's all. My girlfriends a registered nurse, so I hear about it every night. And she took the shot, a doctor on her shift really pressured her. It's all good. I'm just worried about it. My best friend is in the same position as you, due date is next month, and he went for the shots... And here I am, no kids, no real worries. Blowing my horn. I'd probably think way differently if children were involved.

Roham
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

That sucks Mark, hope you get over it quickly.

My entire family had it about a month ago, but we were lucky and caught it at the tail end of the local outbreak. It's a strange virus for sure. Kills itself off as it spreads, gets weaker and weaker. It had been going strong for a while when we caught it, so myself and my wife hardly knew we had it. My 13 year old son was out of school for a week, but only felt really bad for about 3 days.

We have a very large Hispanic population here who travel back and forth to Central and South America regularly so it hit pretty soon after it popped up in Mexico. At this point a cold is worse.

Thanks for the reply, and I hope it didn't come off as I was attacking. I'm just frustrated with the amount of media attention it's getting that's all. My girlfriends a registered nurse, so I hear about it every night. And she took the shot, a doctor on her shift really pressured her. It's all good. I'm just worried about it. My best friend is in the same position as you, due date is next month, and he went for the shots... And here I am, no kids, no real worries. Blowing my horn. I'd probably think way differently if children were involved.

Roham

I'm no fan of vaccinations, but pregnant women, the people around them, and children 10 and under I wouldn't hesitate. They had the same concerns during the '76 epidemic. I think it was something like 532 people out of 48+ million developed Guillain-Barre syndrome after being vaccinated, and so far no long term effects of any kind have been linked to it. And they still can't directly link G-B with the vaccine as almost the same number developed it without the vaccine.

Roham
    Not at all Ro. I was merely showing the other side. I do agree that the "panic" the media is spreading is extreme. But if it saves lives, it's worth it.

I had the same thoughts about the swine flu as you at first. But priorities changed for me when my wife became pregnant. If we weren't pregnant, I probably would've never done the research. And I wouldn't have gone out of my way to get the shot. Since you are in the "low-risk" demographic(Just my assumption), it wouldn't be the biggest deal if you skipped it.

Is it really $88 CAD up there? It was only $15 USD in NY. And that's without them accepting my insurance.

Ya, that's funny, cause a $10 cigar is $30 here....

*shrug*

Thread Information