Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stick rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by mail man View Post
    Holy shit, you guys are making my head hurt
    Trust me - mine hurt plenty when they packed it with that stuff.

Oh, now THIS will make your head really thump.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Ooohh... I dunno Kris. A popular misconception.

I know it's rhetorical, but formally the angular momentum of a point object is defined as the cross product of the object's position vector (a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation rate) and the linear momentum vector. By that definition, angular momentum cannot possibly be the same as linear momentum.
    Ah yes, I can see that. However there will be both a slowing of momentum from friction and curvature of the linear path due to gravity.

For example, a projectile (arrows, bullets, artillery shells, etc.) will eventually slow down from atmospheric friction which allows gravity to alter the projectiles course. This arguement can also be used for light, since light waves can be altered by gravity (red shift) and be effected by interstellar dust or other celestial bodies that the light would have to pass through.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post

Ah yes, I can see that. However there will be both a slowing of momentum from friction and curvature of the linear path due to gravity.

For example, a projectile (arrows, bullets, artillery shells, etc.) will eventually slow down from atmospheric friction which allows gravity to alter the projectiles course. This arguement can also be used for light, since light waves can be altered by gravity (red shift) and be effected by interstellar dust or other celestial bodies that the light would have to pass through.
    Ahh... The ol' "throwing a projectile" argument. Clever...

Isn't the linear trajectory vector of the object not expressed in two directions? One force vector represented by the forward trajectory of the object, as well as the gravity force vector acting on the object's forward path? m x a = foward trajectory, m x a = force due to gravity ...each separate and distnct, and both linear vectors? ...at least that is conventional thinking.

Or - are they both truly linear vectors? After all - where does gravity come from? So could the vector representing the force due to gravity actually be a representation of an angular force (i.e. tangential acceleration) - typically expressed as a constant value (9.8 m/sec/sec) even though it's truly not constant.

In Quantum Mechanics (which is where the scientific community studies gravitational forces) states through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle that it is not possible for the six term, 2-form Noether charge to be measured simultaneously with arbitrary precision. Therefore, there are limits to what can be known or measured about a particle's angular momentum. It turns out that the best that one can do is to simultaneously measure both the angular momentum vector's magnitude and its component along one axis.

So - I think you'll agree - it is is capricious to think that an angular component becomes linear.

Wow, this is getting worse than trying to understand the King James version of the Bible

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post

How does cellophane affect the friction factor?

Quote Originally Posted by mail man View Post
    Wow, this is getting worse than trying to understand the King James version of the Bible

Keith
    Having been raised in the Roman Catholic church, I could easily express my thoughts in King James style if you'd like...

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    How does cellophane affect the friction factor?
    Mark - I'd tend to think there would only be a nominal friction factor effect with the cello on. Sorry - it does not better define your "cello on / cello off" debate...

Having been raised in the Roman Catholic church, I could easily express my thoughts in King James style if you'd like...
    No, please don't, my brain is almost to the bleeding point as is.

Keith

Process from 4 to 40 x 50 ml conical tubes
    The hot dog rotating thing will take to long stop messing around and just get a general Purpose Centrifuge.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post

Process from 4 to 40 x 50 ml conical tubes
    The hot dog rotating thing will take to long stop messing around and just get a general Purpose Centrifuge.

That's what I'M talkin' about!!!

Mark - I'd tend to think there would only be a nominal friction factor effect with the cello on. Sorry - it does not better define your "cello on / cello off" debate...
    Damn - thought I finally had something there.

6 pages nice. I'm glad I could post such a useful topic for many of other newbs to learn from that wasn't completely pointless! haha

Blog Entries

Pointless? I dunno, seems to be a lesson in here somewhere.

Blog Entries

Now, where would that be?

My guess is probably the first page.

I rotate my sticks - every time I'm looking for something to smoke.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

I have to be carefull when exploring the bowels of my humidors because I have damaged wrappers in the past. My brother keeps his sticks with the cellophane on but cuts out one end flush with the end of the cigar. He claims they get enough consistant humidification through the end AND you can be a little rougher stirring through the tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Now, where would that be?

My guess is probably the first page.

I rotate my sticks - every time I'm looking for something to smoke.
    Damn straight.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Thread Information