Thread: Twins WIN!

Blog Entries

Default Twins WIN!

OMFG!

Anyone see the game?

The Twins are absolutely AMAZING! Yeah, I'm a White Sox fan but I have to hand it to the Minnesota Twins, 7 games back on September 7th, win 17 of their last 21, force a one game playoff with the Tigers, take it to extra innings, go down 5-4 in the 10th and WIN it in the 12th!

Watch out New York Yankees, the Twins are hotter than ever.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

2. Default

It was a great game...Either team could have pulled it off.

Blog Entries

The Twins haven't won in New York in quite some time.

Over the years, I've noticed that late season momentum is the biggest factor in how well a team does in the post season. Recent examples are Colorado in 2007 and Houston in 2005.

I think the Twins will at least split the first two games in New York which will give them the advantage for the final three. I also think the Red Sox will beat the Angels.

Phillies over Colorado, Cardinals over the Dodgers and the Cardinals go to the World Series to face the Twins. The American League has the advantage in the World Series BUT I think the Cardinals will split the first two in the Metrodome giving them the advantage and I say the Cardinals will win the World Series.

No, I'm not taking any bets on this craziness, I just figured I'd put it out there just so I can say "I told you so." if it happens.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

4. Default

The Cards will take it all...No doubt.

Blog Entries

Angels all the way!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

How about those Indians!

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Go Rockies! (yeah, I know... they lost)

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    OMFG!

Anyone see the game?

The Twins are absolutely AMAZING! Yeah, I'm a White Sox fan but I have to hand it to the Minnesota Twins, 7 games back on September 7th, win 17 of their last 21, force a one game playoff with the Tigers, take it to extra innings, go down 5-4 in the 10th and WIN it in the 12th!

Watch out New York Yankees, the Twins are hotter than ever.

Not tonight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    Not tonight.
    Probably not Friday either.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

You and your baseball allegiances Bill, never could understand them. Whatever happened to your Astros Sigtag?
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU View Post
    You and your baseball allegiances Bill, never could understand them. Whatever happened to your Astros Sigtag?
    I had that over on CigarPass, I don't ever remember having it here. I'm still an Astros fan (they're my main team) but I like the White Sox too. I also like the Cardinals and the Red Sox.

I started this thread because I was very impressed how the Twins came from no where to win the division.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

12. Default

Looks like the Cards are fucked...

I had that over on CigarPass, I don't ever remember having it here. I'm still an Astros fan (they're my main team) but I like the White Sox too. I also like the Cardinals and the Red Sox.

I started this thread because I was very impressed how the Twins came from no where to win the division.

Oh, I know why you started the thread. I'm just perplexed with how you came to like the teams you like. You did have the Astros Sigtag here too back closer to 2005. Seriously, how did you come about those allegiances, I mean the Red Sox kind of makes sense, though aren't you on the southern side of Connecticut? The others I don't get.

For me, Cubs because I grew up in Chicago and loved the players the cubs had growing up in the 80's and 90's (Grace, Eckersly, Sandberg, Dawson, Maddux, Suttcliffe, Zimmer as manager). I also love the Yankees because when I moved to NYC I figured I could love whatever AL team I wanted since I hate the white sox, so why not love a team with an owner who was the opposite of the owners of the Cubs (i.e. an owner who wants to win and doesn't care if he has to spend his entire wealth to do it and doesn't care if he can still sell out the stadium with a losing team). Then, year to year I root for whatever other teams represent good baseball fundamentals, so long as they're not teams I hate thanks to my prior two allegiances (i.e. I will never cheer for the Red Sox, White Sox, Mets, Cardinals).
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Blog Entries

Sean, I coulda sworn I told you my Astros story at one time. I thought I even told you in person.

Anyway, here's the deal: When I was in 8th grade (1974), my best friend Mike Miller went to Houston to visit some relatives. While he was there, he went to a game or two at the Astrodome. When he came home, he had all kinds of Astros gear, etc. Since he was my best friend, I said "If you're an Astros fan, then I'm an Astros fan." So I started following the Astros as much as I could in the papers, etc. He went to a different school the next year and I've pretty much lost track of him for the past 34 years. However, I continued to follow the Astros into my college years. That was the first time they had ever made it to the post season (1980). In the early to mid 1980s, I went to my first baseball game at Shea Stadium to see the Astros play the Mets. When I got out of college and got my first engineering job, I had plenty of cash being single and living home with my parents so I bought one of those 10' satellite dish antennas. Back then, you could get all the premium movie channels for free and EVERY baseball game every night by watching the feeds. It was great, no commercials! It was funny because the commentators figured they weren't "on the air" so you could hear them talking with one another as they figured no one could hear them. Anyway, in the mid 1980s I was able to watch Astros games every night. Then they started scrambling everything, first it was HBO, Cinemax, etc., then the bastards started scrambling the baseball and football feeds. So, for a long time, I didn't get to watch Astros games anymore until just a few years ago when the cable companies started offering the mlb.com package.

I like the White Sox because I LOVE the city of Chicago and George is a White Sox fan. I've never really been a Cubs fan but I do have a couple of friends in Chicago who are Cubs fans so at least I'm now to the point where I don't purposefully root for them to lose.

LMAO! You say you'll never root for the White Sox, the Red Sox and the Cardinals. Sorry Sean, I like all of those teams. I even can tolerate the Mets BUT in 1986, they beat the Astros for the AL pennant and beat the Red Sox in the World Series so I guess I never really got over that! Before 1986, I used to got to quite a few games at Shea Stadium. In those day, you could walk up to the gate and get a $2.00 general admission ticket and sit in the back of the Loge and sneak down to the field level. If you got caught my an usher, all you had to do was give him a couple of bucks and he'd seat you in the field level, no questions asked. When the Mets got good in 1985, 1986, etc., I pretty much stopped going to games because I couldn't get tickets.

There are a few teams I don't like, I can't really give you a good reason as to why, I just don't really like them:

The Braves
    The Padres
    The Giants
    (Those three probably because of the old NL West when they were huge Astros rivals)
    The Brewers
    The Devil Rays (or is it the "Rays" now?)
    The Pirates
    The Diamondbacks
    The Marlins
    The Mariners
    The Rangers
    The A's

The Cubs used to be on that list but I took them off for the reasons I posted earlier. Detroit, Minnesota and Cleveland don'd do much for me either unless like this year, the Twins played pretty amazing ball this past September and the White Sox were already out of it.

I'm also more of a National League fan at heart anyway.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

The Twins haven't won in New York in quite some time.

Over the years, I've noticed that late season momentum is the biggest factor in how well a team does in the post season. Recent examples are Colorado in 2007 and Houston in 2005.

I think the Twins will at least split the first two games in New York which will give them the advantage for the final three. I also think the Red Sox will beat the Angels.

Phillies over Colorado, Cardinals over the Dodgers and the Cardinals go to the World Series to face the Twins. The American League has the advantage in the World Series BUT I think the Cardinals will split the first two in the Metrodome giving them the advantage and I say the Cardinals will win the World Series.

No, I'm not taking any bets on this craziness, I just figured I'd put it out there just so I can say "I told you so." if it happens.
    WOW! I was wrong on just about EVERYTHING, eh?

Lesson learned here, if I ever offer a cigar bet on a baseball game TAKE IT, you're virtually guaranteed to win.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

You got Phillies right, though what a miracle it took last night.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU View Post
    You got Phillies right, though what a miracle it took last night.
    DAMN! I was tryin' for an 0-4....
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Thread Information