Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep-Fried Turkey

Blog Entries

Default Deep-Fried Turkey

Anyone ever done this? Dennis already gave me his tips the other day in chat, but maybe you could post again for people who weren't there?

Basically, this is what I have to work with:

42 quart pot
    burner
    propane tank
    basket (no hanger - do I need it?)
    I wasn't going to inject it, instead put a gnarly rub on the outside, under the skin.

I heard between 3 and 3.5 minutes per pound. The bird is about 14.5 pounds this year.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

HELL YEAH!! Fried Turkey RULES!

Not sure on using a basket, I would be worried about the turkey getting stuck in the basket. I always use a rack with an eye that runs up through the cavity, and a lifting hook to snatch it out.

Measuring the proper oil level is as easy as placing the turkey in the pot, covering it with water, (I cut the tail off and cook tail end up). Pull the turkey out, and mark the water level. you want to cover the bird about an inch.

13 to 16 pound birds seem to work best for me. I tried injecting once, but didn't care for it much.

Season everything really well, inside and out. It's obviously VERY IMPORTANT that the bird be blotted of any moisture. fold wings under or cut the wing tips off, but don't tie the legs together.

Pure peanut oil is best.. It's expensive, but you can filter it and use 3 or 4 times... store it in the jug it came in.

I like to heat the oil to about 380 - 400 degrees before dropping the bird, the temp will drop considerably, and some burners are difficult to get back to cooking temp. Lower the bird VERY SLOWLY! I like to submerge 1/4, then remove.. then up to 1/2, remove...so on and so on. This helps boil off any moisture present and minimizes risk of the oil boiling over.

Keep the thermometer in, not touching the bird or pot, and maintain 350 degrees for 3.5 minutes per pound. I never leave my cooker unattended.. so have a cigar while you watch.

I do at least three birds over the holiday season.. this year is looking like a 5 bird year.

I'll never bake a turkey again!

Good luck brother!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

X2 of all that BWA said, and extra stress on the making sure the bird is free of as much moisture as possible, and also on the lowering it slowly into the hot oil.

Keith

I always inject the bird with something letting it sit for a day or two. Last year I also did a brine for a day which turned out really well.

Here is a tip for the moisture. This will help stop the boil over. Once you have your turkey ready give it a rub down with some of the cold peanut oil. Once coated it's oil in oil. No boil up and mist which becomes fireball. Make sure you still put the turkey(or anything) in slow.

Been doing the deep fried turkey for years now. Never have a bake one again.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

This is one cullinary experiment that I have always wanted to try. It sounds like it would be wonderful. I have heard from many people that they really like doing a turkey like this. I am patiently waiting for an opportunity to try it out with a friend first before I get the stuff to do it. I hope your bird turns out great. Roger.
    Just another day at the office!

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch View Post
    I always inject the bird with something letting it sit for a day or two. Last year I also did a brine for a day which turned out really well.

Here is a tip for the moisture. This will help stop the boil over. Once you have your turkey ready give it a rub down with some of the cold peanut oil. Once coated it's oil in oil. No boil up and mist which becomes fireball. Make sure you still put the turkey(or anything) in slow.

Been doing the deep fried turkey for years now. Never have a bake one again.

DG
    That's a real good idea about coating the bird with cold oil first, I will have to try that this Thursday.
    Thanks DG

Keith

Blog Entries

Last year I also did a brine for a day which turned out really well
    I'm a huge fan of the brine myself.
    "Those are like the holy grail of cigars. Indiana Jones and the search for Argenicadomipanurans"
    -Denver24

"Your telling me I need to segregate my grape flavored blunts from the sour apple ones?"
    -Mangyrat

Blog Entries

Love the fried turkey! A buddy of mine used the pre-oil method too and said that it definitely helps.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

If anyone knows where to get peanut oil at a reasonable price, I'd appreciate it. The lady @ Home Depot wanted $30 a gallon.

Thanks for all the tips!

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Walmart should have a 3 gallon jug of LouAna pure peanut oil for about $28.00.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of fried turkey.

We're doing our 21 pounder in the oven.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    If anyone knows where to get peanut oil at a reasonable price, I'd appreciate it. The lady @ Home Depot wanted $30 a gallon.

Thanks for all the tips!
    Sam's Club has a 4 1/2 gallon size for $29.

Anyone fried a duck, yet?

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    I'm not a fan of fried turkey.

We're doing our 21 pounder in the oven.

I've seen your oven. For what you paid for it. It should go out get the turkey, pluck, gut, and cook the damn thing with all the trimmings for you.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch View Post
    I've seen your oven. For what you paid for it. It should go out get the turkey, pluck, gut, and cook the damn thing with all the trimmings for you.

DG
    We need Pics!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked! View Post
    Anyone fried a duck, yet?
    That might be pretty good. Wonder if you could fry a Turducken... probably not.

That always cracks me up, who was the first person to make a Turducken I wonder... pure genius - haha.

-Buzz

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    We need Pics!!!!
    Here's a shot of the stove

Here's another angle of the kitchen:

Here's the turkey:
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 12-02-2009 at 02:05 AM. Reason: To add a picture of the turkey!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    That might be pretty good. Wonder if you could fry a Turducken... probably not.

That always cracks me up, who was the first person to make a Turducken I wonder... pure genius - haha.

-Buzz
    I saw a prepackaged turducken at the Publix. If it's still there tomorrow, I just may have to give it a try. There are already a few birds to fry today.

Happy Fried Turkey Day!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Here's a shot of the stove
    I'll take a snapshot of the turkey tomorrow.
    That cuttingboard is clutch. I'm guessing those inserts come out with whatever you just chopped up and pushed in them? I might have to make me one of them.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Awesome stove !
    Just another day at the office!

Blog Entries

Dang, that is a really nice stove there... I will have to post a picture of mine - it is good for a laugh.

-Buzz

Thread Information