Thread: Newbie Looking for some Tips

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Newbie Looking for some Tips

Ok, as a disclaimer, I am legitimately interested in becoming involved in this hobby. Please respond as you would to a regular of the forum, and not like in the Cubans thread, or the Grad thread. I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Fark.

Ok, well, as I stated, I am a newbie to Cigars and the world thereof. I've decided that I (and I believe you would likely advise me to do so as well) would like to start with some of the more smoother and milder cigars.

I have not really been active on this forum, but I have frequented a Cigar Discussion thread on forums that I do visit more often.

I have looked around several of the online dealers (though I will be buying from a local store), and have come up with a list of some that I would like to try as my first few. Please let me know what you think of the cigars listed and please feel free to include any tips, or suggestions for smoking/what to smoke.

Random question, do you prefer lighting with a lighter, or a match?

Thanks,
    Fark.

Edit: I forgot to list the cigars, haha!

Sol Cubano Connecticut
    Cu-Avana
    Montecristo White
    Cusano 18

Blog Entries

To avoid getting ripped to shreds, just follow the rules of the forum and use the search button 10 times more than the post button. There is a ton of information on this site, you just have to look around a little.

I would highly recommend you do the Newbie Sampler. It is a great way to try different brands, countries, sizes, and strengths to see what you like.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

You might want to start with that Monte white. I use a torch lighter, or matches when its empty, and the butane bottle is too far away.

What other cigar boards are you on?

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I agree with Buzz. Use the search function. There are tons of cigar reviews on this forum and you can decide which ones you would like to try. I would also recommend the newbie sampler as the more established members are always willing to help out the noobs.

Enjoy this new hobbie, it'll reward you kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    I agree with Buzz. Use the search function. There are tons of cigar reviews on this forum and you can decide which ones you would like to try. I would also recommend the newbie sampler as the more established members are always willing to help out the noobs.

Enjoy this new hobbie, it'll reward you kindly.

X2 for the newbie sampler, it will give you a wide array of differnt smokes to try...I am still cursing James for turning me on to so many smokes that I like

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by mail man View Post
    X2 for the newbie sampler, it will give you a wide array of differnt smokes to try...I am still cursing James for turning me on to so many smokes that I like

Keith
    ...or do the newbie sampler trade...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fark View Post
    Ok, as a disclaimer, I am legitimately interested in becoming involved in this hobby. Please respond as you would to a regular of the forum, and not like in the Cubans thread, or the Grad thread. I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Fark.
    Well, now that you've clarified for me how I must respond, use the search button. A couple of the cigars you list have been reviewed here.

One you are not with the search function. Learn it you must.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    One you are not with the search function. Learn it you must.
    Yogurt! Are you talking about the Schwartz?
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Quote Originally Posted by Fark View Post

Thanks, Fark.

Ok, well, as I stated, I am a newbie to Cigars and the world thereof. I've decided that I (and I believe you would likely advise me to do so as well) would like to start with some of the more smoother and milder cigars.

I have not really been active on this forum, but I have frequented a Cigar Discussion thread on forums that I do visit more often.

I have looked around several of the online dealers (though I will be buying from a local store), and have come up with a list of some that I would like to try as my first few. Please let me know what you think of the cigars listed and please feel free to include any tips, or suggestions for smoking/what to smoke.

Random question, do you prefer lighting with a lighter, or a match?

Thanks,
    Fark.

Edit: I forgot to list the cigars, haha!

Sol Cubano Connecticut
    Cu-Avana
    Montecristo White
    Cusano 18

Fark - Would you like me to smoke that cigar for you too???

please keep in mind: you don't know us and we don't know you. You may think some members are this board are assclowns - but at the same time we're trying to figure out if you're an assclown. Just keep in mind that you cannot possibly expect that the first time you throw your buns onto the seat of a bicycle, you'll ride like an expert. There truly is such a very fine line between being cautious and being stupid.

Reading cigar reviews is like listening to film critics - you might agree sometimes, but likely you're going to disagree more than you agree. If you're new to the "hobby" you've got a LOT of cigar smoking to go to know what you will like and what you will dislike. Best advice to get into this hobby? Start with going to a local tobacconist (a GOOD cigar shop, with plenty of stock on hand), pretend you're new to this "hobby", and ask them for their recommendations. Buy a few cigars, sit down and smoke 'em. If you don't like the cigar you're smoking (and you've given it an honest shot), put it down and try another.

...and take it upon yourself to experiment with lighting a cigar. I'd love to hear your thoughts to compare them to the thousands of other opinions I've heard about every kind of imaginable way to light a cigar. Bottom line - it's a personal preference I'm sure the tobacconist will be able to help you with.

You might also be tempted to ask about how to cut a cigar. Again - ask the tobacconist - they'll show you the various ways to cut a cigar. I don't necessarily think that one way is better than another, other than what it is you prefer.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ggiese; 12-08-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Thread Information