Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Looking for some Tips

1. Default Newbie Looking for some Tips

Ok, as a disclaimer, I am legitimately interested in becoming involved in this hobby. Please respond as you would to a regular of the forum, and not like in the Cubans thread, or the Grad thread. I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Fark.

Ok, well, as I stated, I am a newbie to Cigars and the world thereof. I've decided that I (and I believe you would likely advise me to do so as well) would like to start with some of the more smoother and milder cigars.

I have not really been active on this forum, but I have frequented a Cigar Discussion thread on forums that I do visit more often.

I have looked around several of the online dealers (though I will be buying from a local store), and have come up with a list of some that I would like to try as my first few. Please let me know what you think of the cigars listed and please feel free to include any tips, or suggestions for smoking/what to smoke.

Random question, do you prefer lighting with a lighter, or a match?

Thanks,
    Fark.

Edit: I forgot to list the cigars, haha!

Sol Cubano Connecticut
    Cu-Avana
    Montecristo White
    Cusano 18

Blog Entries

To avoid getting ripped to shreds, just follow the rules of the forum and use the search button 10 times more than the post button. There is a ton of information on this site, you just have to look around a little.

I would highly recommend you do the Newbie Sampler. It is a great way to try different brands, countries, sizes, and strengths to see what you like.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

You might want to start with that Monte white. I use a torch lighter, or matches when its empty, and the butane bottle is too far away.

What other cigar boards are you on?

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I agree with Buzz. Use the search function. There are tons of cigar reviews on this forum and you can decide which ones you would like to try. I would also recommend the newbie sampler as the more established members are always willing to help out the noobs.

Enjoy this new hobbie, it'll reward you kindly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fark View Post
    Ok, as a disclaimer, I am legitimately interested in becoming involved in this hobby. Please respond as you would to a regular of the forum, and not like in the Cubans thread, or the Grad thread. I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Fark.
    Well, now that you've clarified for me how I must respond, use the search button. A couple of the cigars you list have been reviewed here.

One you are not with the search function. Learn it you must.

Thanks, Fark.

Ok, well, as I stated, I am a newbie to Cigars and the world thereof. I've decided that I (and I believe you would likely advise me to do so as well) would like to start with some of the more smoother and milder cigars.

I have not really been active on this forum, but I have frequented a Cigar Discussion thread on forums that I do visit more often.

I have looked around several of the online dealers (though I will be buying from a local store), and have come up with a list of some that I would like to try as my first few. Please let me know what you think of the cigars listed and please feel free to include any tips, or suggestions for smoking/what to smoke.

Random question, do you prefer lighting with a lighter, or a match?

Thanks,
    Fark.

Edit: I forgot to list the cigars, haha!

Sol Cubano Connecticut
    Cu-Avana
    Montecristo White
    Cusano 18

Fark - Would you like me to smoke that cigar for you too???

please keep in mind: you don't know us and we don't know you. You may think some members are this board are assclowns - but at the same time we're trying to figure out if you're an assclown. Just keep in mind that you cannot possibly expect that the first time you throw your buns onto the seat of a bicycle, you'll ride like an expert. There truly is such a very fine line between being cautious and being stupid.

Reading cigar reviews is like listening to film critics - you might agree sometimes, but likely you're going to disagree more than you agree. If you're new to the "hobby" you've got a LOT of cigar smoking to go to know what you will like and what you will dislike. Best advice to get into this hobby? Start with going to a local tobacconist (a GOOD cigar shop, with plenty of stock on hand), pretend you're new to this "hobby", and ask them for their recommendations. Buy a few cigars, sit down and smoke 'em. If you don't like the cigar you're smoking (and you've given it an honest shot), put it down and try another.

...and take it upon yourself to experiment with lighting a cigar. I'd love to hear your thoughts to compare them to the thousands of other opinions I've heard about every kind of imaginable way to light a cigar. Bottom line - it's a personal preference I'm sure the tobacconist will be able to help you with.

You might also be tempted to ask about how to cut a cigar. Again - ask the tobacconist - they'll show you the various ways to cut a cigar. I don't necessarily think that one way is better than another, other than what it is you prefer.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ggiese; 12-08-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    I agree with Buzz. Use the search function. There are tons of cigar reviews on this forum and you can decide which ones you would like to try. I would also recommend the newbie sampler as the more established members are always willing to help out the noobs.

Enjoy this new hobbie, it'll reward you kindly.

X2 for the newbie sampler, it will give you a wide array of differnt smokes to try...I am still cursing James for turning me on to so many smokes that I like

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by mail man View Post
    X2 for the newbie sampler, it will give you a wide array of differnt smokes to try...I am still cursing James for turning me on to so many smokes that I like

Keith
    ...or do the newbie sampler trade...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    ...or do the newbie sampler trade...
    Who can resist the newbie sampler shuffle?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Who can resist the newbie sampler shuffle?
    Just be sure not to get the Newbie Sampler from Mark... he sent me a box of some really weird stuff.

...but I found a use for most of it, so.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

12. Default

Ok, well as a general statement, I guess I was just trying to be careful to not tread on anyones toes since i'm new here, and have seen what can be done in some threads, haha.

I will definately go take a look at the Newbie Sampler (I had looked through it, but since I had the names of a couple that I wanted to ask about, it didn't occur to me to contact the member "on deck"). And also, I promise I will work on my abaility to use the search function, but no matter the forum i'm on, I have never been able to make it a habit.

Thanks,
    Fark.

Blog Entries

And also, I promise I will work on my abaility to use the search function, but no matter the forum i'm on, I have never been able to make it a habit.

Thanks,
    Fark.
    Patience is key...take the time to search deep in the forums. Most of the time you will learn something new that you were not even thinking about so enjoy the ride. At least that has been my experience.

14. Default

Go fuck ypurself tard boy.I'll be godamned if you will dictate how we respond to all of your fucking retard questions. Use your tiny pea beain and read a few old threads and use the search function before you ask anymore dumass questions.

If you really want all of your dumass questions answered go sign up at puff.com , you would fit right in
    The older I get ,the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Go fuck ypurself tard boy.I'll be godamned if you will dictate how we respond to all of your fucking retard questions. Use your tiny pea beain and read a few old threads and use the search function before you ask anymore dumass questions.

If you really want all of your dumass questions answered go sign up at puff.com , you would fit right in
    I think Kevin's trying to say he sorta likes you...

... or not....

Please respond as you would to a regular of the forum, and not like in the Cubans thread, or the Grad thread. I would appreciate it.

A little thin skinned are you? BOO FUCKING HOO !!!

You're 5 posts in and want to be treated like a "regular"? Go back to your other fucking forums, unless they banned your goofy ass, and get treated like a regular there. You don't get to tell anyone how you want to be treated and that shit isn't going to fly around here, unless it's you getting your ass booted off this forum.

Ok, well as a general statement, I guess I was just trying to be careful to not tread on anyones toes since i'm new here, and have seen what can be done in some threads, haha.

I will definately go take a look at the Newbie Sampler (I had looked through it, but since I had the names of a couple that I wanted to ask about, it didn't occur to me to contact the member "on deck"). And also, I promise I will work on my abaility to use the search function, but no matter the forum i'm on, I have never been able to make it a habit.

Thanks,
    Fark.

This isn't fucking baseball, and there is no one "on deck". You need to do some reading and learn to use the search function, and there is an entire section dedicated to reviews which you obviously didn't bother to look for because, after all, cigars don't get rated or reviewed. When you see a number next to a cigar's description, like "94" or what the fuck ever, it certainly wasn't the fucking year it was made in.

And work on your spelling and capitalization, too. It looks like you don't have a "habit" of checking your dumbass posts for the simple stuff. It's not like this site has a built in spell checker that you obviously (AGAIN) didn't look for or use.

Fuck. I haven't even had my fucking coffee yet.

-K

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    A little thin skinned are you? BOO FUCKING HOO !!!

You're 5 posts in and want to be treated like a "regular"? Go back to your other fucking forums, unless they banned your goofy ass, and get treated like a regular there. You don't get to tell anyone how you want to be treated and that shit isn't going to fly around here, unless it's you getting your ass booted off this forum.

This isn't fucking baseball, and there is no one "on deck". You need to do some reading and learn to use the search function, and there is an entire section dedicated to reviews which you obviously didn't bother to look for because, after all, cigars don't get rated or reviewed. When you see a number next to a cigar's description, like "94" or what the fuck ever, it certainly wasn't the fucking year it was made in.

And work on your spelling and capitalization, too. It looks like you don't have a "habit" of checking your dumbass posts for the simple stuff. It's not like this site has a built in spell checker that you obviously (AGAIN) didn't look for or use.

Fuck. I haven't even had my fucking coffee yet.

-K
    Oh really? That's interesting because in the Newbie Sampler thread it says that a user is "on deck". You sure know a lot about your own fucking forum.

Does everyone here PMS at the same time?
    Yeah, I was asking to be treated a s regular because I was hoping to avoid the: This person is a fucking idiot, response shit.

And to the telling me to go back to my old forums, unless they banned my "goofy" ass, well guess what? I skipped all the other cigar forums because I thought this one was the most promising. Apparently I was mistaken and you don't really like people comeing in here looking for advice and trying to get into the hobby. Most hobbyists I know of, in any hobby, are much more welcoming and enjoy teaching others about their respective hobby.

Also, you bring into question my spelling. The only word spelled wrong in the entire quote is ability. Essentially by attacking me for my spelling, you're telling me that you have never made a grammatical mistake in your life, which I have a very hard time believing.

I'm sorry i'm not as good as you at life, let me just step back and bow to the holy MarineOne.
    I didn't realize you were the King of Grammar, but apparently you have realized this.

Thin skinned? Sure. Whatever you want to call it, I was simply saying it would be appreciated it if the flaming could be held off until I made a critical error. I didn't realize, again, that trying to be polite was an issue. I understand that there is a search button, but it's clear to me, that you don't seem to understand what hospitality is.

Well, thanks for the short stay. It was entertaining while it lasted.

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post

No thanks, I'm good. You can take your suggestion and shove it right up your ass.

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    Patience is key...take the time to search deep in the forums. Most of the time you will learn something new that you were not even thinking about so enjoy the ride. At least that has been my experience.
    Thanks for trying to be hospitable, but clearly your fellow members are intolerant of anyone who is not as arrogant as themselves.
    Maybe if I had included a string of cuss words in my original post I would have received a warmer welcome? Well, thats not something I'm going to find out, so I don't really care.

Blog Entries

Dude, I was merely trying to issue a warning more than anything else. Also, make sure you read your own statements before posting. For example:

Also, you bring into question my spelling. The only word spelled wrong in the entire quote is ability.
    After saying that, you continue on and say:

Apparently I was mistaken and you don't really like people comeing in here looking for advice and trying to get into the hobby.
    Thanks for trying to be hospitable, but clearly your fellow members are intolerant of anyone who is not as arrogant as themselves.
    Maybe if I had included a string of cuss words in my original post I would have received a warmer welcome? Well, thats not something I'm going to find out, so I don't really care.
    It's not an issue of being hospitable or not more than the fact that you barged in DEMANDING to be treated a certain way when nobody here really knows you. For example, would you ever walk into a social event where you don't know anyone and start by saying:

Please respond as you would to a regular of the forum, and not like in the Cubans thread, or the Grad thread. I would appreciate it.
    If you came into my house with that attitude, I would beat the shit out of you for being a disrespectful retard and then drive my foot up your ass on the way out the door. You seriously disrespected a lot of people not only with your first post, but with your obnoxiously retarded response.

Have fun and enjoy some philly blunts as part of your hobby.

Thread Information