Thread: A bad taste

Default A bad taste

Hello all

I have a question regarding a bad taste I occasionally get when smoking the last third of a cigar which tastes almost stale and unpleasant to smoke . I doubt it is cigar brand specific because it has happend with two diferent brands. It is a little hard to explain it, but hopefully someone could enlighten me to any possible causes.

Thanks.

Regards,
    James

Blog Entries

You probably just need to work on developing your pallet. The last 1/3 of a cigar is my favorite, to me the flavors reach a nice peak at this point. As mentioned in a couple of past threads, make sure your hydrated (drink lots of water beforehand) as cotton mouth can really bring out the bad taste in, well anything.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

It's definately not my pallet because the first two thirds of the cigar is perfectly fine. But who knows, maybe its just the storage of the cigars because it doesnt happen to all cigars that I smoke.

The last part of the cigar right before it gets hot and harsh is usually everyones favorite part!

You may be talking about the hot harshness that signals it's time to let the smoke go out. That usually hits at the last 1/4 mark. There's nothing to do at that point but let it cool more between puffs and take shorter puffs if you're tenacious like that, or let it die a dignified death and remember it fondly.

Not the heat or harshness either.
    I think its possibly too much moisture on the head which probably gives it that stale taste.

TonyDogs Guest

Default Brands

Maybe its the brands you are smoking.
    I would try a really light cigar, Carlos Torano Robusto
    Even at the nub they are still light.

By chance were the cigars both figurados?
    Captain, it is I!

I've never had this problem. I was smoking an H. Upmann last night and I was actually thinking to myself and telling my buddy how great the last bit of the cigar was.

9. Default

Some thing to ponder. Had you been relighting the cigar repeatedly or perhaps have set it down for a while and then relit it? If so sometimes the tar builds up towards the end especially if relighting.

One suggestion is by the time you get to a third left every twice in a while instead of pulling in (as if you are inhaling) softly blow outward (as if you are exhaling) - this will clear the built up smoke from previous drags and cool the cigar slightly as the heat will exist the tip.

How far do most of you guys smoke a cigar before you lay it down.

11. Default

Might try to slow your smoking down a little. Smoking too fast can cause this.

If its a great smoke, I smoke it past the band, down to a little nub, till my fingers start to burn.

If its an ah-so cigar, probably only down till the band.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

I smoke it until it starts getting hot, harsh and unpleasant. With different cigars and smoking conditions, this point is different, but it's usually around 3/4 of the way down.

Default OK...I hope I don't get too wordy....

How would you llke it if every cigar you lit up regardless of brand tasted the way you describe your last 1/3 tatses but from beginning to end?

Let me tell you, because it happens to me and there can be many reasons. One or more may apply to you.

First some of the obvious as others may have already pointed out.

1. - Crappy cigars - You get what you pay for.

2. - You simply don't REALLY like what you're buying. Try a few other brands.

3. - You may be smoking stuff that's too strong for your palate. Try lighter bodied cigars. OR are you smoking small cigars under a 47 ring size? I don't care what anybody says, small cigars burn hotter. Try a bigger cigar. Robustos if you like them short, or go for toros or churchills, etc.

4. - You're smoking too fast. This will heat up the cigar making it harsh. - Try slowing down. Allow more time between puffs. At least a minute. Two would be better.

5. - Weather conditions. Temp, humidity, etc can all affect how a cigar smokes. High humidity will make a cigar burn hotter, tighter.

NOW...some of the really BIZARRE reasons...

6. Hydration, and I owe this to Cocky Hoskins who isn't around anymore it seems God I miss him. He was so nice. Always helpful. Supportive. He was just such a gentleman. I'll never forget the time I was down and out. The bank repo'ed my Lamborghini, my wife had just left me and my kids had disowned me. They said I was a terrible father and they couldn't stand the drinking and the strange people I would bring home at all hours of the night. There was this guy I met from the circus once and he had an enormous horse's ......oh....sorry.....I'm off the subject! Where was I? Hydration! Yes, hydration.

If you don't drink enough water and it must be WATER during the day you become DEhydrated and it will affect the tissues in your mouth. Smoking dries out your mouth so it needs a lot of help in the water area. Being dehydrated will cause a cigar to taste harsh, hot or bitter. Also, try to drink something while your smoking. Of course WATER is best.

Alcohol, coffee, tea, sports drinks, energy drinks and soda will dehydrate you since your body uses water to get rid of them

7. What you eat will affect how your cigars taste. That's way to much of a variable to go on about. You'll find out for yourself as you go along. It differs from person to person.

8. Emotional state - Really. Your mood will affect how your cigar tastes. Are you relaxed? Or are you uptight about something? The more you can relax, the more you'll enjoy the cigar.

9. Stop screwing your brains out. Sex is absolutely fantastic, but too much alters your body chemistry and can affect you overall. See number 8. (no no...sex WINDS YOU UP big time!) OK guys, lets keep it down.

10. Are you diabetic? I am and this ties into number 6 (hydration) BIG time.

Well, there you have it. My top ten suggestions about enjoying cigars. DAMN!

Great post MMAB. And to answer the previous question, If it is a good cigar I always go past the label down until my fingers/mouth are burning.

Thread Information