Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opus X - If You Think They Rape You Online...

1. Arrow Opus X - If You Think They Rape You Online...

...boy do I have a story for you then :)

I live in California and decided to stop by a cigar shop this evening. I see a sign that says "WE HAVE OPUS X DOUBLE CORONA" cigars. So there I am, my heart skipping a beat, and there they are...the Opus X Double Coronas. I look all around the box and gaze at the cigars...no price tag to be found.

This is one of these situations I begin to think that is much like a restaurant...you want the lobster, but it says 'MARKET PRICE' ...aka "if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it."

So I tell my girlfriend to put on a flashy smile and sweetly ask the guy (like this is going to get me anywhere, but it was fun anyway) at the counter how much the cigar is so I can continue to drool all over the shop's humidor :).

He gets done helping some customers, gives my girlfriend the price as I'm eagerly waiting. "How much," I ask...."$50.00," she says.

You guys think online prices are bad from those not-authorized dealers? Think again...:)

(No I didn't buy one)

That's insane!

Godfather, what's the name of that store?

IF a store sells fuentes to the public at a high margin over MSRP, they can lose there fuente product. A store I go to used to jack up Opus X, and now they don't get it...

Also, a local shop, which I used to go to alot when I was new at all this, sells there opus to private members of there havana club. Well, I found out one day that a DC went for 70!

When they asked me to join the club, I said no thanks. Since he's selling it privately, he can't lose his opus...

Fuente and J.C. Newman, pick what to send you. You can request, but you get what they want to send you. Sorry, that's how it goes. And if you here different, it's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayakinboy
    Fuente and J.C. Newman, pick what to send you. You can request, but you get what they want to send you. Sorry, that's how it goes. And if you here different, it's wrong.
    That's what I've always been told in regards to Opus X, Anejos, and even my beloved 8-5-8... They don't rush the hands of time at the Chateau for anyone...
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

I was lucky to pick 1 up after the father's day rush this year from a local shop here.. I believe i paid around $9.50 for it.

6. Default Responding...

Quote Originally Posted by Kayakinboy
    Godfather, what's the name of that store?
    IF a store sells fuentes to the public at a high margin over MSRP, they can lose there fuente product. A store I go to used to jack up Opus X, and now they don't get it...
    Interesting. Well from doing research online, they're NOT an authorized retailer, so that would explain why they're asking such a ridiculous price for the Opus X.

I would assume since they're not authorized they can charge pretty much whatever the consumer is willing and able to pay? The thing that urked me was when I was told he worded it as 'special price.' ....yeah

Interesting to hear other people's stories too...looks like KB wins for the biggest retailer price gouge on the Opus X.

Regardless of my story, some members here stepped up to the plate for me and offered to help me out....my thanks to those that did, very glad to be a member of this board.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    The thing that urked me was when I was told he worded it as 'special price.'
    Yeah, "special" is the term I'd use, alright!

Echoing what others have said - having talked at length to my retailer, only authorized dealers can order directly from the manufacturer, and they usually sell at or close to MSRP. Some cigar stores that are not authorized dealers get cigars second-hand through distributors. So they're going to have a higher markup due to more distribution levels, and there are no controls over what they can charge for their cigars.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

I feel your pain. One of the cigar bars here charges $60 a pop. On the same damn menu, they have 30 year old Scotch's for cheaper. Kinda silly.

toledo,ohio 1440 royalton toledo oh 43612

Does anyone know where i can find a list of msrp's,shop down the street is an authorized dealer just wanted to see how much he is marking them up
    I drink a great deal.I sleep a little,and i smoke cigar after cigar.That is why i am in two-hundred percent form
    -Winston Churchill

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by King of Vagabonds
    I feel your pain. One of the cigar bars here charges $60 a pop. On the same damn menu, they have 30 year old Scotch's for cheaper. Kinda silly.
    Wow, very silly when you put it that way.

12. Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by superman78
    Does anyone know where i can find a list of msrp's,shop down the street is an authorized dealer just wanted to see how much he is marking them up
    I heard about this site from a member that lists MSRP prices:

http://www2.cigarweekly.com/cdb/inde...=A&eletter=Bzz

Give that a shot, it even has pretty pictues of the actual cigars....

Not to burst your bubble but I just called my local shop and they currently have 28 opus X perfection X in stock for $12.95. I will post their phone number tonight, you can call in orders. But I'm not posting the number until I buy a couple in about an hour.

Stay tuned.

Default Ok here is the info

federal cigar has some Opus perfection X for 12.95 apiece. Right now I would say they about 19 cigars left. There website is not fully functional so if you want to order you will need to call between 5:30 am and 1 pm tomorrow. Some lady takes the orders. They said they would ship the same day. The number is 1-800-961-9944.

Now I just added something to the board. Booh-Ya.

Enjoy boys.

nh

toledo,ohio 1440 royalton toledo oh 43612

Thanks ,much appreciated ,nice to have an idea
    I drink a great deal.I sleep a little,and i smoke cigar after cigar.That is why i am in two-hundred percent form
    -Winston Churchill

Try here too:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14037

Lemme say this, at the tinderbox we sold everything as low as possible, and I've never seen XxX @ 8.75, no matter where you are. MSRP is really hard to come by guys. Just look for the best price, and try to always support your local shops, just my thoughts.

There are now 5 less Opus X Perfection's. (Yes, I called at 5:30am).
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by Kayakinboy View Post
    Try here too:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14037

Lemme say this, at the tinderbox we sold everything as low as possible, and I've never seen XxX @ 8.75, no matter where you are. MSRP is really hard to come by guys. Just look for the best price, and try to always support your local shops, just my thoughts.
    Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I've been shopping for some opus x and anejos to ring in the new year. How do those MSRPs look from 2005 compared to now?

Any help is much appreciated.

Blog Entries

"We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by victory01 View Post
    Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I've been shopping for some opus x and anejos to ring in the new year. How do those MSRPs look from 2005 compared to now?

Any help is much appreciated.
    Many stores have been seeing the Opus X, Anejo and rarer other Fuente cigars showing up. Now is the time to look for the any "deals".

Good luck with your quest!

Thread Information