Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quad State Herf V - Feb 27th, 2010 The Meadowbrook

Cornwall, NY (West Point) on the Hudson River

Thumbs up

Well, we are 5 days from the Quad State Herf and I can hardly contain myself. I am checking out the weather for the week and we have light flurriers off and on through out it. Here is what NOAA has so far and I'm sure it will change as the weathere guessers have been off lately:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...ield2=-74.0273

I hope everyone has a great week and I'll see you guys in a few days.....

Quote Originally Posted by stogieman View Post
    Well, we are 5 days from the Quad State Herf and I can hardly contain myself. I am checking out the weather for the week and we have light flurriers off and on through out it. Here is what NOAA has so far and I'm sure it will change as the weathere guessers have been off lately:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...ield2=-74.0273

I hope everyone has a great week and I'll see you guys in a few days.....
    Charlie,

I can not wait for this. Looking forward to seeing all my friends again after a year.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Blog Entries

I'm getting pretty excited myself. Right now, I have a throat that feels like razor blades when I swallow. Hopefully that will get better by this weekend.

Just as a precaution, I won't lick any of my smokes like I normally do when I give a few out.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I won't lick any of my smokes like I normally do when I give a few out.

Will
    OK thank you for that little bit of information
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Thumbs up

2 days and a wake up, outstanding.........

Thumbs up

I have talked with the owner of the Meadowbrook and we are on no matter what. "No amount of snow, sleet, or rain will keep us away from this thing". There are already S/BOTL traveling in this direction and I wish you the safest traveling possible. The same goes for everyone tomorrow and Saturday as well. Give yourselves a little more time and make it to the event safely........

Thumbs up

Well well well, we got our power back up about 0220(2:20am) this morning. I've got a call into Frank at the Meadowbrook to see if he's got power as well. God willing, this herf should go off smoothly as planned. At the least, we can have a parking lot herf and smoke out New Windsor . Sorry to hear that Joe and Los and any others that can't make it because of cancelled flights, work, etc. We'll raise our glasses and make you guys a toast. That's it for now, the next time I post I'll have an answer back from Frank. Either way, it's herf time.......

Blog Entries

Thanks Charlie for the work involved putting this KICKASS herf together.

Thank you Diesel Grinch for posting about this and tolerating our clingy newbiness all day yesterday I had an awesome time!

Will

Here's a picture of the Meadowbrook facilities:

Last edited by badwhale; 02-28-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: added picture
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Charlie - Thank you for all of your hard work in organizing the herf. Even though things didn't turn out as planned, I had a fantastic time and will be there next year.

DG - Thanks for the rainbow flavored white-owl. It looks much better in person.

Not a problem guy. Had a great time hanging with you and Irish79. We need to get together again before the next Herf. I'm working on when I might be heading out that way. Famaily things make March not likely. More like April.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Quote Originally Posted by Irish79 View Post
    Charlie - Thank you for all of your hard work in organizing the herf. Even though things didn't turn out as planned, I had a fantastic time and will be there next year.

DG - Thanks for the rainbow flavored white-owl. It looks much better in person.

Charlie is the HERF King for a reason!!!

See people make fun of them but they sure are tasty.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Smile

I want to start by saying thanks to everyone for coming out especially for those that made it cross country. I’m sorry for the S/BOTL that couldn’t make because of the bad weather we have had since Thursday morning. I was stationed here at West Point in 1996 when they had the last major storm like this one and I hope it doesn’t happen again soon. I tried to make the best of the situation as the Meadowbrook was without power until the day of the event. They couldn’t serve us the spoiled food, they had nothing cold, no ice, so the next best thing was a huge outdoor herf. Thanks to all the sponsors for everything even though it seemed that Rob (rob300c) won every other raffle. It was great to see so many new faces and as always the S/BOTL that come out every year. I don’t want to start naming everyone that helped as I’m sure that I’ll be missing a bunch of you, so thank you all for another great year. I’ll have the final tally of donations to the WTU unit shortly, I can tell you we are very close to $9,000 in donations.......

Thumbs up

Here is a story that was run in yesterday's Times Herald Record. I did a cut and paste as well as load the actual link to the artice on-line. You'll see the on-line version has the pictures of the Boy Scouts first, simply click on that one and the rest will come up:

Posted: March 10, 2010 - 2:00 AM
    March is truly a busy month. But because the weather in late February and early March forced interruptions that delayed communications for awhile, the mailbag is bulging with copy, both old and new.

One incredibly successful event took place at 1 p.m. Feb. 27 despite the region's powerful storm that caused many power outages and road closures. It was a cigar lovers' dream event, the fifth one in as many years. It brought 145 of the 180 expected to the Meadowbrook Lodge in New Windsor. They traveled from as far away as California, braving the weather even when planes were grounded. Because the popular catering house had no power, like thousands of other structures throughout the region, the group elected to host the event in the parking lot.

More than $9,500 was raised for the Warrior Transition Unit/Family Readiness Group — Wounded Warrior Program at West Point, where 100 soldiers are being cared for.

For the fifth year, the fundraiser was chaired by cigar lover and patriot Charlie Baranyai of Cornwall, who is a 20-year-plus Army veteran currently employed at West Point. As in past years, he worked closely with Uptown Cigar Shop in Kingston, where manager Israel Markevitz and Michelle Tuchman sent out fliers about the event to their customers. Glynna Schlesinger, who owns the Hudson Valley Cigar Shop next to Schlesinger's Steak House in New Windsor, also sent out fliers.

Although "the dinner portion of the event couldn't be honored that day, no one wanted their money back," said Baranyai. "And no one wanted to reschedule. So everything went to our Wounded Warriors. Those who attended are loyal and big-hearted Americans eager to do what they can for our wounded soldiers. We're grateful for their participation."

Baranyai can be reached at stogieman69@hotmail.com.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...0/COMM/3100306

Thanks to everyone for their hard work and support as always........

Charlie that's a great read. Couldn't have been a better time had.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Thread Information