Thread: Fda?

Blog Entries

Default Fda?

Hey guys, I was hoping to get your thoughts on this. CoventryCat, any insights?

A common complaint among cigar smokers is that elected officials and government leaders don’t listen to them. Well, here’s a chance to easily get your thoughts before the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as it considers how to implement its recently granted control over tobacco.

The process is relatively simple. Just go to http://www.regulations.gov/search/Re...00006480a34db4 and follow the instructions to input your comments. Before doing that, though, you should read about the process. That’s easy, too. Visit http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/G.../ucm173455.htm on FDA.gov and you’ll find links to the notice in the Federal Register and commentary from the FDA on tobacco regulation.

The IPCPR, in a recent release, had “talking points” you might find helpful. I’ve reproduced them below, with permission. Cigar Rights of America has also issued talking points for cigar smokers, but I urge you not to copy your comments from another source. Use your own words to express your own opinions. Thoughtful, polite and concise individual comments always carry more weight. The deadline for public comment is Dec. 28.

You might also want to send a copy of your comments — with a brief explanatory note — to your Senators and Representative. You’ll find their contact information here and here.

Even though they’re not now directly involved, I think it’s good to take every opportunity to let them know how you feel. When it comes to elected officials, personal letters are more effective than emails.

One point to remember is that the current law does not explicitly include cigars and pipe tobacco. To do so would require hearings, though it wouldn’t require new legislation. But one of the aims is to attack under-age smoking, and “little” cigars and mass-produced cigars — particularly flavored ones — are often enmeshed in that effort. So, it couldn’t hurt to voice your views now.

IPCPR Suggested Talking Points

- Congress recognized the fact that cigars and pipe tobacco do not pose the same public health concerns as the tobacco products outlined for regulation. FDA needs to recognize this important distinction as it implements the Tobacco Act.

- Flavored cigarillos are manufactured and marketed to only adults as they are premium cigar tobacco and should remain as a legal adult choice product.

- Kids don’t smoke tobacco pipes; pipe smoking is an adult activity; there has not been a single study that has indicated any issue with kids smoking tobacco pipes.

- Cigar and pipe consumers have the right to purchase and enjoy flavored premium products just as they have the right to purchase and consume flavored alcoholic spirits and other flavored alcoholic products.

- Because of their artisan nature, origin, and construction, cigars are far different from cigarettes and are not consumed in the same way.

- Cigars are a mature, adult social experience.

- As most cigar and pipe tobacco businesses are owned and operated by small business owners and their families, further regulation will prove burdensome and overwhelming.

- Simply because a product is flavored does not mean it is intended for or marketed to children.

- For centuries, pipe tobacco has been flavored to create a wide variety of taste profiles enjoyed by adults.

- StogieGuys
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Blog Entries

Where was this copy/pasted from?

Quote Originally Posted by denver24 View Post
    Hey guys, I was hoping to get your thoughts on this. CoventryCat, any insights?

A common complaint among cigar smokers is that elected officials and government leaders don’t listen to them. Well, here’s a chance to easily get your thoughts before the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as it considers how to implement its recently granted control over tobacco.

The process is relatively simple. Just go to http://www.regulations.gov/search/Re...00006480a34db4 and follow the instructions to input your comments. Before doing that, though, you should read about the process. That’s easy, too. Visit http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/G.../ucm173455.htm on FDA.gov and you’ll find links to the notice in the Federal Register and commentary from the FDA on tobacco regulation.

The IPCPR, in a recent release, had “talking points” you might find helpful. I’ve reproduced them below, with permission. Cigar Rights of America has also issued talking points for cigar smokers, but I urge you not to copy your comments from another source. Use your own words to express your own opinions. Thoughtful, polite and concise individual comments always carry more weight. The deadline for public comment is Dec. 28.

You might also want to send a copy of your comments — with a brief explanatory note — to your Senators and Representative. You’ll find their contact information here and here.

Even though they’re not now directly involved, I think it’s good to take every opportunity to let them know how you feel. When it comes to elected officials, personal letters are more effective than emails.

One point to remember is that the current law does not explicitly include cigars and pipe tobacco. To do so would require hearings, though it wouldn’t require new legislation. But one of the aims is to attack under-age smoking, and “little” cigars and mass-produced cigars — particularly flavored ones — are often enmeshed in that effort. So, it couldn’t hurt to voice your views now.

IPCPR Suggested Talking Points

- Congress recognized the fact that cigars and pipe tobacco do not pose the same public health concerns as the tobacco products outlined for regulation. FDA needs to recognize this important distinction as it implements the Tobacco Act.

- Flavored cigarillos are manufactured and marketed to only adults as they are premium cigar tobacco and should remain as a legal adult choice product.

- Kids don’t smoke tobacco pipes; pipe smoking is an adult activity; there has not been a single study that has indicated any issue with kids smoking tobacco pipes.

- Cigar and pipe consumers have the right to purchase and enjoy flavored premium products just as they have the right to purchase and consume flavored alcoholic spirits and other flavored alcoholic products.

- Because of their artisan nature, origin, and construction, cigars are far different from cigarettes and are not consumed in the same way.

- Cigars are a mature, adult social experience.

- As most cigar and pipe tobacco businesses are owned and operated by small business owners and their families, further regulation will prove burdensome and overwhelming.

- Simply because a product is flavored does not mean it is intended for or marketed to children.

- For centuries, pipe tobacco has been flavored to create a wide variety of taste profiles enjoyed by adults.

- StogieGuys

Blog Entries

I hid it in the corner of my original post.

- StogieGuys[/I]
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Blog Entries

I hid it in the corner of my original post.
    Thus the question.

Cutting and pasting the first line of the article then googling it (in quotes) came up with this...

http://www.stogieguys.com/2009/12/12...you-think.html

A common complaint among cigar smokers is that elected officials and government leaders don’t listen to them...
    I guess recent events have made me wonder if cigar smokers are the only ones who are having a problem with this particular issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    I guess recent events have made me wonder if cigar smokers are the only ones who are having a problem with this particular issue.
    ...it's more like "let's make a deal!" in Washington these days...

I wanna live in Nebraska, is all I'm sayin'...

I think I need to modify my sig tag

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    ...it's more like "let's make a deal!" in Washington these days...

I wanna live in Nebraska, is all I'm sayin'...
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    I think I need to modify my sig tag
    I like it.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Fuck the FDA. Its just a bunch of faggoty retards that work for it anyway. They will spend all this time getting butt-hurt over smoking, but they would have no problem if you or I started bagging clay dirt and selling it as a cure-all, or slinging medical devices out of a "U-Stor-It" unit. Think I'm bullshitting? It happens, trust me.
    End of line.

Thread Information