Thread: Humidity Problems

Default Humidity Problems

My humidity has been lingering around 63-60% (mostly 60) for almost 2 months now and I thought I might be able to fix it but nothings working so I finally placed and order for an excess of beads but do you all think they are bad now? I tried smoking a few weeks ago and the cigar was fine it was just too cold for me and haven't tried again since but now I'm paranoid the next time I do try they will be bad. Hopefully my beads will be here this week depending on how long it takes Heartfelt to ship them. I placed the order last Saturday. Thanks for the help guys!

Blog Entries

The smokes should be fine, imo, at that rh range, as long as it is stable. 65% beads are what I use.

Blog Entries

Not sure about NC, but here my RH always goes down in the winter because the ambient air is much much dryer. Check the seal on your humidor. The beads should at least help with the problem. As ashauler said, your smokes should be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    The smokes should be fine, imo, at that rh range, as long as it is stable. 65% beads are what I use.
    Yeah I just don't smoke often so it's more of storing them than smoking. So I figured they'd be better at 70. But I do enjoy the cigar more when it's around 65%.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    Not sure about NC, but here my RH always goes down in the winter because the ambient air is much much dryer. Check the seal on your humidor. The beads should at least help with the problem. As ashauler said, your smokes should be just fine.
    Yeah it must be winter. These shitty gel humidification devices are worthless during this season so it was time for the upgrade. Thanks for the help guys!

You should try getting a humidor to stay at 65% in Iraq. At this rate I'll have a Masters in Humidorology.

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    You should try getting a humidor to stay at 65% in Iraq. At this rate I'll have a Masters in Humidorology.

Kris
    I'll see your Iraq, and raise ya a Chicago winter!

Anything subzero totally cleans out any reminants of moisture in the air. Keeping them at 60 is a challange at times. I've found moving them to the basement helps quite a bit.

...and then in July it will be so humid, I'll have to seal my humidors to prevent them from moving to rh's over 80%!!

The winter can be a bitch with humidity. I sorta just go with the flow anymore, the humidity is what the humidity is. Every few weeks I just recharge my beads and thats it. Unless something major happens that is.
    Yay! Cigars!

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    The winter can be a bitch with humidity. I sorta just go with the flow anymore, the humidity is what the humidity is. Every few weeks I just recharge my beads and thats it. Unless something major happens that is.
    ...and as long as you stay true to that strategy, you'll not have any problems. It's when you "forget" to charge the beads and let it go months that things start to fall apart...

Default Paddy's 2 cents

Here in the northeast there is such a change in humidity from winter to summer I use Boveda pouches in my humidor, 72 in winter – 65 in summer. In my Vinotemp wine refrigerator / humidor. I use 65 beads year round and keep the temperature at a steady 66 degrees
    Last edited by Paddy; 01-05-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Here in the northeast there is such a change in humidity from winter to summer I use Boveda pouches in my humidor, 72 in winter – 65 in summer. In my Vinotemp wine refrigerator / humidor. I use 65 beads year round and keep the temperature at a steady 66 degrees
    I should have looked at the date of the thread before posting ***** DUMB ASS *****

All humidification problems are solved via beads. That's all there is to it. Forget all the other bullshit products.
    End of line.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I'll see your Iraq, and raise ya a Chicago winter!

Anything subzero totally cleans out any reminants of moisture in the air. Keeping them at 60 is a challange at times. I've found moving them to the basement helps quite a bit.

...and then in July it will be so humid, I'll have to seal my humidors to prevent them from moving to rh's over 80%!!
    I used to take the South Shore to the Art Institute stop and walk up Jackson to the Sears Tower (yeah I know they changed the name, but its still the Sears Tower) when I was doing contract IT work. Growing up in northwest Indiana, I know how cold and dry it gets, but when its 0% RH and 137 degrees out in the summer, or 0% RH and 27 degrees like it was on Sunday, we get nose bleeds and we aren't even in the cheap seats.

I think we get less than 3 inches of rain a year here in south central Iraq.

One more stupid question guys. I just got my beads today, so me wanting to add humidity I should add distilled water. Would water from a water bottle work? Since I know tap won't work and I don't feel like running to the grocery store to buy a gallon of distilled water. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -nick- View Post
    One more stupid question guys. I just got my beads today, so me wanting to add humidity I should add distilled water. Would water from a water bottle work? Since I know tap won't work and I don't feel like running to the grocery store to buy a gallon of distilled water. Thanks!
    I believe heartfelt strongly recommends distilled. Bottled water isn't distilled.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I believe heartfelt strongly recommends distilled. Bottled water isn't distilled.

Will
    Alright thanks.

I don't know, it's dark and I hear laughter!
    Blog Entries

Roll on down to your friendly Wally World...I bought a gallon of distilled for .58
    My! What a nice ash you have!

No matter where you go, there you are!

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisFred View Post
    Roll on down to your friendly Wally World...I bought a gallon of distilled for .58
    I think I'll save my self the 10 min drive and hit up the local grocery store tonight for 40 cents more. haha

Thread Information